Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Russian money?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
russophile View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote russophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Russian money?
    Posted: 21-Jan-2012 at 22:12
Hi all history nerds (I hope it's not offensive for you).

I came to this forum after failing in looking for information on Polish forum about general history. I hope someone helps me to solve my problem.

I am asking about value of Russian rubles in the end of 19th century. I mean, what could be bought for what amount and how to compare values from 19th and 21st centuries. I browsed many websites and converters in English and Polish but I found nothing. I also browsed a lot of forums in my language and nothing. There are converters but they convert everything but Russian money. Or, if they convert, the oldest scale of time Is 20-30 years ago. Is there someone who knows the problem? I have looked everywhere but it looks like some kind of a secret knowledge hidden from people. I have no idea about it and it's kind of important for me.

Any suggestions? Please don't tell me "ask Google". Google told me nothing. History forums are my last help.

Thanks in advance.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2012 at 23:20
Contact the webmaster at the following site. The web address is a the bottom of the page. I am satisfied they have an archival or historical liason or can point you to one.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2012 at 06:52
Originally posted by russophile

Hi all history nerds (I hope it's not offensive for you).

I came to this forum after failing in looking for information on Polish forum about general history. I hope someone helps me to solve my problem.

I am asking about value of Russian rubles in the end of 19th century. I mean, what could be bought for what amount and how to compare values from 19th and 21st centuries. I browsed many websites and converters in English and Polish but I found nothing. I also browsed a lot of forums in my language and nothing. There are converters but they convert everything but Russian money. Or, if they convert, the oldest scale of time Is 20-30 years ago. Is there someone who knows the problem? I have looked everywhere but it looks like some kind of a secret knowledge hidden from people. I have no idea about it and it's kind of important for me.

Any suggestions? Please don't tell me "ask Google". Google told me nothing. History forums are my last help.

Thanks in advance.
I have found only a little, and hope you can find something from within it.

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2012 at 13:50
In Tsarist Russia the rouble was of similar value to a pre-decimal five shilling coin (Crown), originally being a piece of silver ingot. Kopecks were similar to old pennies, but the Russians had a decimal currency in which 100 (not 60) pennies made a rouble. A grivennik (10 kopecks) was roughly the same as a British shilling, a half politnik was similar to florin, and a politnik (50 kopeks) was similar to a half crown. The Russian equivalent of a half-pence was a denga, and a Russian farthing (one quarter of a kopeck) was called a pulushka
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote russophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2012 at 18:27
TheAlaniDragonRising, thanks for links. Unfortunately, I can't see the second one. Is is possible for you to copy relevant fragment and send it to me? I have tried to see this on Firefox and Chrome but with no result. Damn my Internet. 

Edited by russophile - 22-Jan-2012 at 18:28
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2012 at 20:57

Russian Peasant Letters: Life and Times of a 19th-century Family

By Olga T. Yokoyama
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0H-zN45W9pEC&lpg=PA91&ots=HI3Hw3dVHG&dq=what%20could%20you%20buy%20with%20one%20ruble%20at%20the%20end%20of%20the%2019th%20century&pg=PA91#v=onepage&q&f=false
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote russophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2012 at 21:08
Originally posted by Nick1986

Russian Peasant Letters: Life and Times of a 19th-century Family

By Olga T. Yokoyama
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0H-zN45W9pEC&lpg=PA91&ots=HI3Hw3dVHG&dq=what%20could%20you%20buy%20with%20one%20ruble%20at%20the%20end%20of%20the%2019th%20century&pg=PA91#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thank you very much!
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote russophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2012 at 21:09
Thanks everyone for answers, it's highly appreciated! 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 19:00
No problem. How did you get interested in Russian history?
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote russophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 19:12

No problem. How did you get interested in Russian history?

Some years ago, when I was in junior high school (it must have been some 6 years ago) I found out about new book (it was about vampires) and I got interested in the author. I found out he writes a lot of russophile books so, it can be said I got interested because of bloodsuckers. It is stupid, isn't it?

Edited by russophile - 24-Jan-2012 at 19:13
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 19:15
Not at all. Vampires themselves are a Slavic invention. You might find this interesting
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote russophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 19:32

Not at all. Vampires themselves are a Slavic invention. You might find this interesting

Yeah, you are right... But it is still weird for me. Some people get interested by reading history books, or school books during classes (well, school book from history helped me to get interested too) and I got interested, because I read fantasy book.
Thanks, I will take a look at this : >
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2012 at 19:33
Originally posted by russophile

Yeah, you are right... But it is still weird for me. Some people get interested by reading history books, or school books during classes (well, school book from history helped me to get interested too) and I got interested, because I read fantasy book.
Thanks, I will take a look at this : >

Nothing weird about that. I got interested in my Slavic roots after listening to my grandma's folk tales. My interest in more general history comes from many influences: the John Wayne westerns me and my dad used to watch, swashbuckler movies like Robin Hood, comic books like Asterix, Horrible Histories, and four time travel books by Usborne set in the Medieval, Egyptian, Viking and Roman worlds
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2012 at 08:53
I acquired another Tsarist Russian coin yesterday. It's made of silver and has a large 20 on it
SergejJego View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote SergejJego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2012 at 05:30
Prices and salaries: the pre-revolutionary Russia
LINK(rus):
http://p-marketing.ru/publications/general-questions/social-dynamics/prices-salaries-before-wwi

Prices of food and manufactured goods (tables)
LINK(rus):
http://www.opoccuu.com/tseny.htm

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2012 at 08:31
Unfortunately not many of us can read Cyrillic. Can you provide an English translation?
SergejJego View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote SergejJego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2012 at 12:37
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2012 at 10:38
These kopeks are similar to mine. I'll try and upload a photo of the silver coin, though it will be poor quality as my camera's not very good with closeups
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Russia-Kopek-1897-2-Kopeks-1852-1859-3-Kopeks-1876-5-Kopeks-1837-111A-/290672782312
 Post Reply Post Reply