Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cigar Box Art

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cigar Box Art
    Posted: 17-Jan-2012 at 00:35
Firstly, I do not endorse nor condone smoking, so this isn't a thread about cigars. This is about
the amazing art work that went into the advertising on those boxes.
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2012 at 00:37
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2012 at 09:33
Beautiful Smile
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2012 at 19:06

Speak for yourself TJ. I love a good Cuban cigar (preferably with a glass of port or iced Scotch) and started smoking Henri Wintermans and King Edward cornets at the age of 15. My mum brought back a big box of Montechristo No.4s from Cuba, though i'm also partial to Romeo Y Julia, Flor Danica, and BolivarThumbs Up
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2012 at 19:58
I end up chewing them. The art however remains remarkably good.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2012 at 10:48
Here's a number of decorative designs found on a blog site.

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2012 at 19:30
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2012 at 11:42
Some of the more elaborate wooden cigar boxes have a considerable value in the collectors market.

The 50 cigar size boxes also could be used to make a passable banjo.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2012 at 11:48
I have never smoked art since my birth.Except in bars before prohibition.Long Live "no smoke" prohibition!
WinkHere you have some "art":
http://www.unusualmuseums.org/cigar/

Edited by medenaywe - 19-Jan-2012 at 11:52
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2012 at 15:34
Originally posted by red clay

Some of the more elaborate wooden cigar boxes have a considerable value in the collectors market.

The 50 cigar size boxes also could be used to make a passable banjo.

Here's a site with cigar box guitars, red.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Oh, I've just found someone playing a cigar box banjo on this video. It's not too bad either.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 19-Jan-2012 at 15:40
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2012 at 19:09
That is cool Alani. If you or Red want to make a guitar, i'll happily help empty a box of cigars if you provide oneBig smile
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2012 at 20:19
Originally posted by Nick1986

That is cool Alani. If you or Red want to make a guitar, i'll happily help empty a box of cigars if you provide oneBig smile
Remembering the other thread on Medieval beer I'm guessing you'll have a beer in one hand and the cigar in the other.LOL
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 10:23
I've made 2-3 Cigar box banjos, mainly for the younger members of the family.  My grandfather smoked-  ABC Factory Reject Smokers.  They came in wooden boxes of 50.  The box was the right size and shape.
BTW- Breakfast for old Tom was, 2 cigars and 2 bottles of warm stout, he lived to be 84.  So maybe Nick's got something going.Big smile 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 10:34
Yellow yellows,red dies!(local folk proverb).Agree about that everyone dies from something.Personal I choose woman,i am a gambler!LOLNo cigars.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 10:42
"All my friends have given up drinking, smoking and sex.  I told them their going to feel really stupid, laying in the hospital dieing of nothing."  Redd Foxx at 85.
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 10:52
I am perfect in avatar only.In real life nobody is perfect.(I am allergic on smoke&dust).
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 11:38
I tried smoking when I was at school, that lasted a week until I realized I didn't really like it. As for alcohol, it's been a while since I've drunk any, I guess having an alcoholic Father can keep you a little wary. When it comes to women, I couldn't stand a woman who was dirty minded, or body. I was married to a woman many years ago who turned out to be like that, so I never want to be with another.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 19:28
Originally posted by red clay

"All my friends have given up drinking, smoking and sex.  I told them their going to feel really stupid, laying in the hospital dieing of nothing."  Redd Foxx at 85.

Your grandfather was a wise man. I intend to live life to the full and enjoy every minute of itThumbs Up
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2012 at 19:32
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Originally posted by Nick1986

Remembering the other thread on Medieval beer I'm guessing you'll have a beer in one hand and the cigar in the other.LOL

Sounds good to meThumbs Up
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2012 at 19:32

This one's cool: an electric cigar box guitar
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>