Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tuetonic Knights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuetonic Knights
    Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 13:59

. But why did they recruit dwarfs?

It is always the same with Michaek's books..they are quite interesting but the pictures of soldiers are somekind deformed.. 

I will suggest him to engage the Angus McBride  

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 11:36

Sorry about asking so many question lately,  I can't find a lot of these things on the internet and don't really have many books.

If anyone could give any sort of information on the Tuetonic Knights during the period they participated in battle I would really appreciate it.  My main questions are what were the weapons they used,  exactly how mobile were they, where were they situated and what sort of battle tactics did they use?

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 13:21
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 18:34
Cool picture. But why did they recruit dwarfs?
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 18:47

Teutonic Knights...They wore like 10 layers of chain mail armor .  Really tough foes I think.

But why did they recruit dwarfs

In gym, you see that all weight trainers are dwarfs.  That's because their height were inhibited by their daily exersize that inhibits their growth.  Maybe they applied that concept?

Grrr..
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 18:51
Thanks so much for the information
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 03:51

Originally posted by Mosquito

Cool picture. But why did they recruit dwarfs?

Perhaps the layers of chain mail stunted their growth.

Anyway - smaller targets are harder to hit.

Edited by vagabond
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 15:32
But why did they recruit dwarfs?

It is always the same with Michaek's books..they are quite interesting but the pictures of soldiers are somekind deformed.. 

I will suggest him to engage the Angus McBride

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 15:53

im surprised they didnt die of heat strokes i mean when your swinging a sword and riding or walking and fighting in battle with 10 layers of chain mail you will get extremely hot and tired quick fast and in a hurry. how could they be successfull with these conditions?

Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 18:15
Well, you have to remember that they weren't in the warmer European countries such as Spain, Italy, and Greece, but rather, farther up north were Prussia was.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 19:29

Actually when they first started they only wore one set of chainmail, but then they walked out of their houses in latvia and decided it would be best to layer up. Actually since it was metal and conducted well, wouldn't it cool them when they were hot like instantly thus making them less prone to sweating?

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Slickmeister View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Slickmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 16:45
Originally posted by TJK

[quote]. But why did they recruit dwarfs?

Dwarfs? the Teutonic Knights were monks.

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 09:17

Slickmaster,

Posts in this topic are not in the proper order, my post which seem to initial is just the answer for Mosquito's post..and he just talk about the picture of Teutonic soldiers...

Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2004 at 23:17
I have a hard time buying the 10 layers of chainmail.  I mean think, you couldn't even wear 10 layers of a thin fabric and still be able to move, much less 10 layers of metal.  forget the heat, they wouldn't be able to move.
[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 04:57

Of course they didn't wore 10 layers of maille, who said that?!

One layer of maille weighs at least 6-8 kg (some 17 lbs I guess?)

10 layers would be at least 60-80 kg - it's ridicolous. Besides - no one would be able to move his limbs with a 3-4 inch thick layer of maille 

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 06:32
By now i assume that demon didnt mean for the 10 layers to be taken literally.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2004 at 12:48

--;  I didn't really mean 10 layers (by definition, the word "like" in the phrase "like 10 layers" doesn't give you a fact, but rather an approximation.  Jeez, who would want to wear 10 layers of chain mail?).  It was to metaphor the durable teutonic armor that endured even the harshest mongolic flurry of arrow.  The armor was the reason why mongols had to rely upon "lassos" to bring the teutonic knights down.

Edited by demon
Grrr..
 Post Reply Post Reply