Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Riddle game

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Riddle game
    Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 19:33
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Originally posted by Nick1986

Inside a green house was a white house. Inside the white house was a red house containing lots of black babies. The red house was bigger than all the other houses.
What is it?
I'm sorry, Nick, I didn't need to work that one out as I already knew it. It's a watermelon. I hope this doesn't count as cheating. If it does, Nick, then have another go.

Bingo! Your turn again AlaniThumbs Up
Thumbs Up
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 21:36

OK, there these two pillars, which are completely solid, and a kilometre between them. Each of them are a kilometre high. The land is completely flat with nothing around them, apart from a small thin piece of wood, a pebble, and a limitless amount of thick cord. With only these things talked about here, how do you manage to traverse from the top of one pillar to the other?

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2012 at 19:41
Walk the tightrope
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2012 at 03:21

Walk the tightrope
No, Nick, how would you connect the two pillars anyway with you being on the one?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2012 at 19:32
Are these "pillars" actually the masts and rigging of a ship?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2012 at 19:46

Are these "pillars" actually the masts and rigging of a ship?
No, Nick, they are solid pillars on totally flat featureless ground.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2012 at 00:43
This is trigonometry task as I can see.You need booth pillars inclined from the side of others.Their tops will connect then.Rest is obvious.Backslash and front slash pillar make equilateral triangle.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2012 at 05:06
Originally posted by medenaywe

This is trigonometry task as I can see.You need booth pillars inclined from the side of others.Their tops will connect then.Rest is obvious.Backslash and front slash pillar make equilateral triangle.
No, medenaywe, the pillars are solid and unmoving.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2012 at 15:27
I've got it. It's a suspension bridge
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2012 at 15:31

I've got it. It's a suspension bridge
No, Nick, how would you connect the pillars?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2012 at 19:17
Tie the rope to one pillar and swing across?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2012 at 16:40
"look at the objects supplied and see what is actually said when describing them"

Use the cord to climb down the first pillar, walk over to the second and climb up with the same piece of rope.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2012 at 16:49

"look at the objects supplied and see what is actually said when describing them"

Use the cord to climb down the first pillar, walk over to the second and climb up with the same piece of rope.
No, Nick, from the top of one pillar a kilometre high to the top of the pillar a kilometre high a kilometre away. Btw how would you manage to get up a pillar one kilometre high to get to the very top. Actually it would be possible by the method used, but you can't touch the ground between.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. 
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2012 at 16:52

Tie the rope to one pillar and swing across?
You couldn't swing across because of the height of the pillars and the distance between.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2012 at 20:13
Is the object in question something we use everyday?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2012 at 19:18
I bet the answer's something so obvious we'll all be kicking ourselves. The pillars, string and wood are basketball posts. The person referred to in the riddle is the ball who has to simply bounce across from one hoop to the other
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2012 at 20:17
A major clue: You walk across on one thing, but how is it set out?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 12:16
I've got it! The "pillars" are actually manholes sunk into the ground. You're at the bottom of one of them. To get out, you climb the rope you used to get in, walk a kilometer to the second manhole (missing its lid) and cross using the piece of wood
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 12:25

I've got it! The "pillars" are actually manholes sunk into the ground. You're at the bottom of one of them. To get out, you climb the rope you used to get in, walk a kilometer to the second manhole (missing its lid) and cross using the piece of wood
I love that one, Nick, and good thinking out of the box there by the way, but no I'm afraid, the pillars are solid, but I can say you do walk straight across between the two on whatever is under foot.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 19:31
Are these pillars holding up some sort of giant billboard? If you kept a tight hold on the rope safety rail you might be able to walk across
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>