Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ukrainien: a mix of Polish and Russian?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ukrainien: a mix of Polish and Russian?
    Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 11:07
I've always been wondering if the Ukrainien language was a mix of Polish and Russian? Because it sounds exactly like half the words in it are Polish with a Russian pronounciation.
Rebelsoul View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rebelsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 02:59

Originally posted by boody4

I've always been wondering if the Ukrainien language was a mix of Polish and Russian? Because it sounds exactly like half the words in it are Polish with a Russian pronounciation.

I found this online:

Ukrainian (Українсь 082;а
Ukrainian is an Eastern Slavonic language closely related to Russian and Belarusian, with about 45 million speakers in Ukraine, many of whom are bilingual in Ukrainian and Russian. There are also significant communities of Ukrainians in the UK, the USA and Canada.

The recorded history of the Ukrainian language began in 988, when the principality of Kiev was converted to Christianity. Ukrainian religious material, including translations of the Bible, was written in Old Slavonic, the language used by missionaries to spread Christianity to the Slavic peoples.

In the 13th century, Ukraine became part of Lithuanian and an early form of Belarusian became the main language. The remaining parts of Ukraine were taken over by Poland during the 16th century and Latin and Polish were used for official purposes.

The Cossacks later moved into eastern Ukraine and during the 18th century, their leader, Bohdan Khmelnytsky, invited Russia to help against Polish domination. During the reign of Catherine the Great, the Cossacks moved to the eastern frontiers of Russia, but Ukraine remained under Russian domination, and the Russians considered the Ukrainian language as little more than a dialect of Russian.

A decree in 1876 banned the printing or importing of Ukrainian books. Inspite of this, there was a revival of Ukrainian poetry and historiography during the 19th century.

Ukraine enjoyed a brief period of independence from 1918 to 1919, then was taken over by the USSR and declared a Soviet Republic. During the Soviet era, Russian was the main language of education and employment and Ukrainian was sidelined.

Ukraine declared independence in 1991. Since then many Ukrainian migrs have returned to Ukraine, particularly from central Asia and Siberia.

From this site: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/ukrainian.htm

boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 19:36
Ok, that kinda didn't answer the question...
Maciek View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Maciek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 02:11

It shows how languages developed in the eastern europe - all of them were influenced by all mentioned means in this quotation.

I think that in general You're right boody. There is a great difference speaking with Ukrainians and Russians - and as a polish I can understand most of ukrainians speaking. They were for most of their history one country and to be honest one nation with us. The truth is that first thing which made a distinction between this part of Poland and the main was very bad treating of villagers in east. Then influence of Russia made them so aggressive to us during partition period and especially during the IIWW. So the language has to be mixed between Polish and russian just because they spent most of they history in one or another country... After IIWW there was strong russification (I'm not sure if this word is the same as in polish).

Edited by Maciek
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 02:58

similar relation to russian language but not the same, second not at all close to polish, to many z's and j's lol

Edited by Mazepa
Maciek View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Maciek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 04:30
Originally posted by Mazepa

similar relation to russian language but not the same, second not at all close to polish, to many z's and j's lol

Heh what is not close to polish language? Ukrainian? My friend I never learned their language but I can understand almost 70% of what they speak. During "orange revolution" polish officials spoke to ukrainian people in polish and they understood them.

Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 00:00
Hmm, well I understand Ukrainian very well, but spoken Polish?  That's another question.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
kipchack View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kipchack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 20:14
Ukrainen or Polish? does it matter? all of them slavic origined?
a kipchack never dies..
KurganRatnik View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote KurganRatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 20:41

Like I said Ukrainian is 60% Polish and 40% Russian. I was born their and live there. I speak Polish, Ukrainian, Russian. A very little bit of Czech. I lived in Czech Republic fpr 2 yrs. They have a very different language. I am Polish- Ukrainian-Russian, and part Zaporozhian Kozak.

Edited by KurganRatnik
'endow your greatest fears'-Kpt. Danylo Kurkowicz
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 21:15
That's very interesting. I always thought ukranian was just a russian sibling. That polish influence must make it richer.
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 19:01
 Ukrainian has some letters (like theone that looks like an i) that wer removed from Russian by the Bolsheviks after the revolution for simplification. I can't understand the Ukrainian TV but I can read Ukrainish writing or understand if they speak slowly.
Maciek View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Maciek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 02:27
Originally posted by KurganRatnik

Like I said Ukrainian is 60% Polish and 40% Russian. I was born their and live there. I speak Polish, Ukrainian, Russian. A very little bit of Czech. I lived in Czech Republic fpr 2 yrs. They have a very different language. I am Polish- Ukrainian-Russian, and part Zaporozhian Kozak.

I think that now it is clear when all three said their opinion: Ukrainian, Polish and Russian.

BTW KurganRatnik great congratulations for the Orange Revolution! I was really impressed how wounderfull Your nation dealed it.

Post Reply Post Reply