Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Emancipation Proclamation: Turning Point?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emancipation Proclamation: Turning Point?
    Posted: 29-Dec-2011 at 15:58

Was the Emancipation Proclamation the most decisive event of the US Civil War?

I realized I forgot to leave my opinionShocked

Was President Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation a watershed moment of the Civil War? Yes.  The Emancipation Proclamation authorized the enrollment of black soldiers into the Union Army and was both a political move and a military move. In the end the Union enrolled about 180,000, or ten percent of its fighting force, from emancipated slaves. The proclamation did not free all the slaves with a single stroke from Lincoln's pen on January 1, 1863  nor did it address or define the future status of freed slaves.  It had no bearing on the fate of the half million slaves living in the four Border States, it only applied to the slaves in the Confederacy.  It also did not apply to Tennessee or southern parishes in Louisiana for a total of nearly four millions slaves, their freedom would have to come with future Union military victories.  President Lincoln took it upon himself to issue this questionable document without the authority of Congress, he felt as commander in chief that it was within his power to target slavery as it enabled the Confederacy to carry on its war with the Union.  He told Secretary of the Navy Gideon Wells  in July 1862 that he had "come to the conclusion that it was a military necessity absolutely essential for the salvation of the Union, that we must free the slaves or be ourselves subdued."[1]

President Lincoln, although not an abolitionist, views over the role of slavery, and what part he could play in its demise, grew while he was in office.   He would make the Union army an agent to end slavery once and for all.  Lincoln viewed abolition as both a moral and military necessity to win the war and preserve the Union.  The army was now fighting to create a nation without slavery rather than a return to the prewar Union.  General US Grant saw the Emancipation as "the heaviest blow yet given to the Confederacy." [2] Even so, Lincoln worried that after the war that courts would refuse to recognize the legality of his actions and overrule him.  By issuing the proclamation it was a sign of Lincoln giving up hope for  a gradual, compensated  emancipation and even colonization, that he long endorsed.  This one document freeing some slaves, instantly changed the role of the federal government to slavery, the liquidation of private property without compensation to their owners and made any talks of peace with the Confederacy unconditional with the promises already made with the ending of slavery.

The Emancipation Proclamation would provide the basis for a transformation of Southern life, politically, economically and socially.The proclamation addressed many questions about European intervention, the failure of taking out slavery in crippling the Confederacy's ability to make war, the need for more Union troops and pressure from abolitionists and Radicals for action upon slavery

[1] Doris Kearns Goodwin, Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln ( New York: Simon & Schuster, 2005), 463.

[2] Eric Foner, The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery (New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2010), 251.

Edited by tjadams - 29-Dec-2011 at 18:30
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2012 at 20:31
Not every Yankee was happy with Lincoln's decision to emancipate the slaves. Several regiments threatened to mutiny or defect to the South
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2012 at 01:15

Originally posted by Nick1986

Not every Yankee was happy with Lincoln's decision to emancipate the slaves. Several regiments threatened to mutiny or defect to the South

That is very true. The Civil War is one of those events that rational people,otherwise reasonable, 

bend their duty to their senses, and become irrational.

"As in 1861, dissension over dealing with slavery flared within the Army the most dramatic incident took place in southern Louisiana. Hoping to conciliate local whites, Gen. Benjamin F. Butler abandoned his earlier contraband policy and ordered most of fugitives barred from Union lines."

The Fiery Trial; Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery by Eric Foner, page 209.

But do you see this event as THE one turning point of the war? Or some other event?

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2012 at 12:01
Originally posted by tjadams

Was the Emancipation Proclamation the most decisive event of the US Civil War?

I dont think so.  The Emancipation Proclamation was a distant second to the military victory at Vicksburg and the de facto victory at Gettysburg.

Vicjksburg showed that the Union could move fully equipped and logistically well supported armies deep into the Confederate heartland and there was little the Confederates could do to counter this in the strategic sense. Gettysburg demonstrated that not even the Confederate flagship army could undertake strategic offensives in the north.

The military victories, not Emancipation brought millions of "fence sitters" in West Virginia, TN, Kentucky, Missouri, Maryland etc. strongly into the union fold.  Sure, the confederates still had a disturbing ability (from the yankee point of view) to out fight the union in a tactical sense.  Strategic military victories and abilites, however, were more decisive than either the Emancipation Proclamation or confederate tactical abilities.  

Vladd View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2012 at 14:14
Well I think the Emancipation Proclamation killed any chance of the British Empire putting its weight behind King Cotton.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2012 at 15:59
Originally posted by Vladd

Well I think the Emancipation Proclamation killed any chance of the British Empire putting its weight behind King Cotton.

I agree to a point....  it also helped if the British did not read the fine print and realize that only confederate slaves were emancipated.  Slaves held in pro union states or by individualy pro union owners (either devoutly pro union or nominaly so) were still in bondage.  Ironically, the EP did not free the slaves in Washington D.C. .

Though freeing a portion of the slaves helped, at the end of the day, the confederacy was going to have to be defeated militarily, not by social policy.  That is why Vicksburg and Gettysburg are far more important than the Emancipation Proclamation.  

Edited by Cryptic - 08-Jan-2012 at 16:10
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2012 at 16:33
I also see the EP as a seminal event since it was both a military move and a diplomatic move.
The EP allowed the Union to gain thousands of fresh new recruits, get the abolitionist off his (Lincoln)
back and as has been written, send a signal flair to the English and French to stay out of
the war. The EP also would lead to two more coming amendments to the Constitution and forever
change the landscape of the US.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2012 at 17:50

I also see the EP as a seminal event since it was both a military move and a diplomatic move.
The EP allowed the Union to gain thousands of fresh new recruits, get the abolitionist off his (Lincoln)
back 

I agree, and it also gave the conflict a percieved moral legitimacy rather than just merely being a political dispute.  The prose of the Emancipation Proclamation is beautiful.  I bet most people in the U.S. and most foreign observers did not bother to learn unadvertised fine print and its numerous "ifs, ands, and buts"

General US Grant saw the Emancipation as "the heaviest blow yet given to the Confederacy."
That is ironic, General Grant's wife was one of the pro union slave holders.

Edited by Cryptic - 08-Jan-2012 at 17:52
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2012 at 19:59
Perhaps not a "turning point," but Sherman's brutal rape of the South did much to weaken the Confederate war effort and morale on the home front. It marked the end of the Napoleonic way of fighting and ushered in the harsh realities of modern warfare
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2012 at 20:48
Go, Sherman! A general worth his salt.
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2012 at 01:42
Originally posted by Cryptic

I bet most people in the U.S. and most foreign observers did not bother to learn unadvertised fine print and its numerous "ifs, ands, and buts"

Were you semi-citing Lincoln's 12 June 1863 letter to Democrat Erastus Corning? Clap
"The man who stands by and says nothing, when the peril of his government is discussed, can not be misunderstood. If not hindered, he is sure to help the enemy. Much more, if he talks ambiguously--talks for his country with "buts" and "ifs" and "ands.

Edited by tjadams - 09-Jan-2012 at 01:47
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2012 at 01:46
Originally posted by Nick1986

Perhaps not a "turning point," but Sherman's brutal rape of the South did much to weaken the Confederate war effort and morale on the home front. It marked the end of the Napoleonic way of fighting and ushered in the harsh realities of modern warfare

True, that was a biggie. Lincoln gave the OK, Grant gave the Ok and Sherman punished Southern civilians and the 
Confederacy's full capacity to conduct war. It was late 1864 and the war was coming to a close anyway, Sherman
just stabbed a dying patient. 
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2012 at 10:46

Originally posted by Cryptic

I bet most people in the U.S. and most foreign observers did not bother to learn unadvertised fine print and its numerous "ifs, ands, and buts"

Were you semi-citing Lincoln's 12 June 1863 letter to Democrat Erastus Corning? Clap
"The man who stands by and says nothing, when the peril of his government is discussed, can not be misunderstood. If not hindered, he is sure to help the enemy. Much more, if he talks ambiguously--talks for his country with "buts" and "ifs" and "ands.

Though I would like to claim to be that astute.....   I can't.   It was just a lucky coincidence.  I had no idea that Lincoln coined the phrase.  I always thought it came from an advertising campaign.

Edited by Cryptic - 09-Jan-2012 at 10:53
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2012 at 21:31
 Post Reply Post Reply