Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alfred the Great

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alfred the Great
    Posted: 10-Dec-2011 at 19:13

Alfred is the only English king known as "the Great" after his successful war against the Vikings that resulted in a fully independent English kingdom. There are many legends surrounding this real-life Arthur, most notably his love of learning, his humility and his skill in battle
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2011 at 02:10
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2011 at 19:16
While Alfred is not officially recognised as a saint, he was a role-model for English knights and had his own cult. Alfred built the first English navy to combat Viking longships, and invented the first clock: a candle with 12 notches to mark the hours (much more reliable than the sundials then in use)
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2011 at 21:13
Cool

Do the math Nick old son. He was a saint in the church; that was longer the church of what becomes Britain in the modern recorded era, to include his own, than it's replacement.
In fact he remains one. Whether todays RC dislikers-haters like it or not.

They have no need to venerate him as one anylonger. They made their choice.Wink

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2011 at 19:15
I thought my church abolished saints after the Reformation. Alfred certainly wasn't worshipped: he was seen more as a role model like Arthur or Edward I
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2011 at 22:35
Your church did Nick ole son assuming ya a good prot COE...(I don't know).
But at last count approx 8 percent of the population in Britain and Wales was RCC.
So they remain free to venerate Alfred as the Saint, he was proclaimed to be by their church.

Unless of course ya suggesting another massive pogrom and retaliation program against the RCC with forced conversions in reverse and or excutions...ya all been thru it once or twice. So I imagine the techniques are still relatively fresh. Ya could always queue up, torches in hand, to burn down  the Cathedral Church of ST Marie in Sheffield.

But how well that might stand up against the Catholic Relief Act of 1829 is problematical.

My advice?

Let them acknowledge the great King for what he was and became in their eyes. And that includes a a revered figure within the RCC. But I suppose if ya want ya can adopt the revisionist view.LOL

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2011 at 19:03
If we're talking about the pre-Reformation Catholic church it's highly likely they did encourage Alfred's worship. Another king (Edmund the Martyr) was our patron saint before Richard I introduced St George
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2011 at 19:16

This fungus is known as King Alfred's Cake. While hiding from the Vikings, Alfred agreed to watch over a peasant woman's cakes. However, he fell asleep and the cakes burned. The woman scolded Alfred, but instead of voicing outrage, the king humbly apologised
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2012 at 19:09
Besides his intelligence and humility Alfred was a very brave man. He disguised himself as a minstrel and, alone, crept into the Viking camp to learn their plans
Alfred the Great: the most perfect man in history
Louise C View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Louise C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2012 at 09:43
I understand that, although venerated by many Catholic, Alfred was never actually canonnised as a saint.  But he was a great king.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2012 at 10:12
Technically that is correct. He was never canonized but he remains venerated ntl as a Christain Hero with an assigned feast day.Smile

And I stand corrected on my earlier statement.....as  it had been my understanding he was....I blame the Nuns and the rulers on the knuckles.LOL

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 14-Feb-2012 at 10:16

S. T. Friedman

Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2012 at 12:49
There's a pub in Burrowbridge, Somerset, called The King Alfred Inn, traditionally near the site where Alfred was supposed to have burnt the cakes. http://kingalfredinn.com/ It is near Athelnay, where King Alfred fought against the Viking invasion in 878.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2012 at 19:31
Bonde20 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bonde20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2012 at 14:26
King Alfred "the Great" of Wessex (871-899) is not a Saint in the Roman-Catholic Church.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2012 at 21:55
Originally posted by Bonde20

King Alfred "the Great" of Wessex (871-899) is not a Saint in the Roman-Catholic Church.

Maybe not, but he's still admired as a great English hero
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2012 at 23:08
And any who don't.... remain damn fools.
send the pup ole Nick...the yotes are after the spring calves. and trust me... And as they fear me and then they do  fear her. trust me when I remind you she and talk when ya ain't listening.

don't ever forget she is lady in the house of Britain who comes when the trumpets call.. even half a world away.

But ya half to trust me..she does.Wink

So give her a treat.Big smile

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2012 at 19:40
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

And any who don't.... remain damn fools.
send the pup ole Nick...the yotes are after the spring calves. and trust me... And as they fear me and then they do  fear her. trust me when I remind you she and talk when ya ain't listening.

don't ever forget she is lady in the house of Britain who comes when the trumpets call.. even half a world away.

But ya half to trust me..she does.Wink

So give her a treat.Big smile

Will do Centrix. I'll give her another slice of peanut butter toast and maybe an orange (she's sitting on my lap and reading this as i type)
JohnAshtone View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote JohnAshtone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 09:43

Centrix Viglis, where in heaven's name did you get the silly idea Alfred was Canonised.

He wasn't, don't tell me you found it on t'interweb, because I have to break it to you gently, 90% of what is on t'interweb is wrong, including the suggestion that Alfred was Cononised, the nearest it got was a promotion by Henry VI which was a Political move and rejected by Rome.

It is the Popes who decide on who are made Saints, not people on the Internet.

And this silly point has nothing to do with why Alfred is called Great, it is to do with his ability to win fights but then settle down and totally reorgansie the Country.

He had been to Rome twice by the age of 6 and this seems to have stayed with him, certainly his strategy when fighting Guthrum is pure Julian, but also he realised he needed the money to fight these battles, hence capturing London, and then building a new quay to increase trade, he also moved the money production to within Wessex from Mercia, ensuring he supplied the coinage.

He knew that to run a succesful country he would need scribes and an Educated class to enforce Laws, fortunately the unsung heroine of English Literature his Mother Queen Osburh had encouraged her sons to the love of books, and Alfred is definitely a bibliophile of the first water.

He also realises even before he was King that a literate people are better served, and had imported some Monks to start teaching reading and writing, he then went one further after he became King and imported Monks who could translate Latin into English.

He set the foundation of England, but also with his defensive measures of a Navy and the Burhs ensured that England could prosper as a trading nation.

And the person who consolidated all this was of course his son Eadward I (the Elder), well no it wasn't, Aethlfaed his eldest Daughter is looking increasingly as the Power after Alfred dies, Eadward is there but it is at least a dual role played, but Aethflaed has been largley airbrushed out of History. 

Alfred has every reason to be called Great, not just for his military prowess.
Quis Custodiet ipsos custodes, Juvenal. Or as George Smiley would say ~Who will Guard the Guardians~
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2012 at 09:06
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2012 at 19:12
Another of Alfred's inventions was the lantern. As glass for the panes was unobtainable, Alfred used thin sheets of horn instead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>