Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Captain Jack Sparrow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Captain Jack Sparrow
    Posted: 01-Dec-2011 at 19:10
Jack "Sparrow" Ward was an English pirate captain in the service of the Turks. When King James ended hostilities with Spain, Ward and fellow pirates like Henry Mainwaring, Robert Walsingham and Peter Easton were given command of the Sultan's warships and continued their profitable enterprise. Most of these pirates were eventually pardoned and recruited into the Royal Navy, but Ward converted to Islam and lived in Turkey until his death at the age of 70
http://www.themodernreligion.com/ht/ward-the-pirate.html
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2011 at 01:14
"...Men such as Captain John Ward of Kent astounded their compatriots by proudly adopting Islam to fight the Inquisition and the expansionist powers of Europe...."
This is some statement here! Of course, in the view of a sworn atheist this sounds like adopting the fire to fight the flame. Islam was no less expansionist than Christianity /if no more/ and at least in those times the changing of faith was treated with death, no exceptions. i wager Ward probably just  liked the perspective of the 70 virginsWink better than the promises of burning in hell for his way of life, so why not choose the more delectably sounding idea.

Edited by Don Quixote - 02-Dec-2011 at 01:17
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2011 at 19:06
Despite later historians' claims, Captain Jack wasn't a very good Muslim. Here's how a contemporary describes him:

Very short with little hair, and that quite white, bald in front; swarthy face and beard. Speaks little and almost always swearing. Drunk from morn till night...The habits of a thorough salt. A fool and an idiot out of his trade.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=xqxoZvOJekQC&lpg=PA15&dq=john%20ward%20pirate%20drunk&pg=PA15#v=onepage&q&f=false
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2011 at 19:33
Ward may have converted to Islam in order to marry a Turkish woman he had fallen in love with. His unrepentant behavior and natural death shocked English Christians who expected God to punish Ward for apostasy
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2011 at 19:04
By 1615 Captain Jack had his own palace, 100 camels and 40 servants. Lithgow met him on his travels to the Middle East
Gentlemans Magazine
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2012 at 19:08

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 13:48
Hmm quite a few Dutch pirates did a similar thing in North Africa.
Arrrgh!!"
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 19:20
Originally posted by Cywr

Hmm quite a few Dutch pirates did a similar thing in North Africa.

Did any of them convert to Islam?
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 13:25
I believe a few did yes, I'm trying to remember the name of one who took part in some of the 'moorish' raids on south western England and Southern Ireland
Arrrgh!!"
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 13:35
Jan Janszoon aka Murat Reis the younger, got to run his own Pirate republic too, yaarrrrrr!

Oooh, even better, one of his sons, Anton Janszoon van Salee was New York's (Then New Amsterdam) first muslim, and likely ancestor of the Vanderbilt dynasty.

And another:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Veenboer

There were quite a few, basicly peeps were who privateers during wars with Spain, but when peace was made, couldn't give up the pirate life.

Edited by Cywr - 25-Jan-2012 at 13:44
Arrrgh!!"
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 19:31
Thanks Cwyr. I had no idea there were Muslims in the US so early. I'd be interested to find out when the first mosque was built in America
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2012 at 19:03
The historical Jack Sparrow inspired the book "Sea Hawk," later adapted into a movie starring Errol Flynn. In this swashbuckler, an English nobleman converts to Islam and goes by the name of Sakr El Behr
Michael Collins View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian
Historum joker, suspended

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2012 at 14:44
That's very interesting. 
Is í labhairt a dteanga an moladh is mó is féidir linn a thabhairt dár namhaid.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2012 at 19:33
By the time Lithgow met Captain Jack he had taken to wearing Turkish clothing and had seemingly given up alcohol (at least in public). Lithgow was amazed when he saw Jack praying to Mecca
An intrepid Scot
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2012 at 19:07
Captain Jack apparently earned the nickname "sparrow" because of his love for the little birds. One of his favorite pastimes was feeding them crumbs
http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/27aug/hotson.htm
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2012 at 19:24
He seems to have been quite the ornithologist. Lithgow claims he invented the first egg incubator
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2012 at 19:33
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2012 at 09:42
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2012 at 19:23
A mighty man reduced to a pansy vice his most recent reincarnation... viz Johnny Depp.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2012 at 11:35
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

A mighty man reduced to a pansy vice his most recent reincarnation... viz Johnny Depp.

It's an old Hollywood tradition, ever since Errol Flynn played Captain Blood. Real pirates were an ugly bunch with scars from swordfights, sunburned skin, teeth lost to scurvy, and sores from veneral disease
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>