Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is EU christian?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Is EU Christian??
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [45.24%]
23 [54.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is EU christian?
    Posted: 04-May-2005 at 09:44
Originally posted by Seko

Plus: Statue of Pope Innocent X sure was Christian!

Stockholm is full of statues of old warriorkings and the Army museum has the largest battle-trophy collection in the world, but no one would call Sweden militaristic or aggressive today.

"Take that, ye knavish Frogs..."

Edited by Styrbiorn
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 09:56
You said it yourself,museums.Working under the pope is diffrent,having an army museum is diffrent
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 10:22
Originally posted by aknc

You said it yourself,museums.Working under the pope is diffrent,having an army museum is diffrent

*Sigh*, I'll make another example. In the head church of Stockholm there's a large Medieval statue of some Catholic saint. Even though Sweden became zealotry Protestant more then 300 years ago the Catholic statue was still kept. What does this tell you? I'll answer anyway; just because there's a statue somewhere it doesn't mean more than that no one found it ugly enough to remove. That picture was probably taken in some old building, where things generally are kept as they were, no matter the reality today...
wilpuri View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote wilpuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 12:44
(most of) Europe is part of the Western Christian Civilization. Although secularism is strong as ever, the values of Europeans are still similar to those of Americans because via Christianity they have a value consensus. I consider Europe culturally Christian, although it is not devout in the way the Islamic world is.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 13:57
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Plus:  Statue of Pope Innocent X sure was Christian!

Stockholm is full of statues of old warriorkings and the Army museum has the largest battle-trophy collection in the world, but no one would call Sweden militaristic or aggressive today. 

"Take that, ye knavish Frogs..."

It isnt the same thing. We are talking about EU as being Christian, not Sweden. EU is a union which is based on Christian civilization and history. There can be statues of popes, and this doesnt make EU a christian club. But if there is huge a statue of Pope Sixtus II, who hated Turks and Muslims, whose main goal was to get rid of Asian barbarian Turks and who believed in Christian superiority, in the main EU assembly and all countries sign the EU constitution in front of this statue. This shows how secular EU is.

Dont get me wrong, I respect to the believs and values of EU, as being Christian, I just cant consider us, our country's national pride and identity as being European. This would be like categorizing Russia in Asian countries classification, even worse. And to see our presidents signing the EU constitution in front of a pope's statue who hated us is really disgraceful and shameful. We cant just sell our national dignity for some EU funds...

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 14:39
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

It isnt the same thing. We are talking about EU as being Christian, not Sweden. EU is a union which is based on Christian civilization and history. There can be statues of popes, and this doesnt make EU a christian club. But if there is hugea statue of Pope Sixtus II, who hated Turks and Muslims, whose main goal was to get rid of Asian barbarian Turks and who believed in Christian superiority, in themain EU assembly and all countries sign the EU constitution in front of this statue. This shows how secular EU is.

Dont get me wrong, I respect to the believs and values of EU, as being Christian, I justcant considerus, our country's national pride and identity as being European. This would belikecategorizing Russia in Asian countries classification, even worse. And to see our presidents signing the EU constitution in front of a pope's statue who hated us is really disgraceful and shameful. We cantjust sell our nationaldignity for some EU funds...

Hmm, either people really are unable to grasp analogies here or I am bad at making them. What I meant to say was, that even if a people have statues glorifying conquerors doesn't mean the people is warlike. Likewise, having a statue of an infidel-smiting pope doesn't mean you're a hardcore Christian anti-Muslim. That statue is just a relic in some old building.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 20:04
Relics and Statues have symbolic meanings by those who created them and those who show respect to them. The symbolism of a pope in the EU congress has meaning. I would like to know what it stands for?

Edited by Seko
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 20:52
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

I just cant consider us, our country's national pride and identity as being European.

What about Galatasaray and all the other Turkish clubs playing in the European Championsleague then? I'm sure Turkish football fans would be delighted if your clubs had to play Katmandu United and FC Pnom Penh in the Asian Competion, rather than Real Madrid or Chelsea.
So be consistent then , demand Turkeys withdrawal from UEFA, it would be easier to qualify for the World Cup anyway.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 02:10

We have a saying Komnenos , in Greece : What's yours , is mine and what is mine , it's still mine....

Draw ur conclusions...

Isk.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 08:49
Without any pollyannish mumbo jumbo, could someone explain how a huge Christian statue hovers over the EU meeting hall. Is that not a reflection of religious iconism and symbolism?
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 09:16

Without any pollyannish mumbo jumbo, could someone explain how a huge Christianstatue hovers over the EU meeting hall. Is that not a reflection of religious iconism and symbolism?

It's not the "EU meeting hall". If you had looked at the link you provided yourself you'd have noticed it's an old statue in the same room in the palace on Capitol Hill, Rome, where the Constitution treaty was signed of traditional reasons last October (the Treaty of Rome establishing the EU was signed in the same room in 1957). It doesn't mean a sh*t, except that they wanted some posh surroundings to sign the treaty in 1957, to make it more ceremonial and impressive. Also, some might have failed to notice that only half of the EU are Catholics, and if indeed all members would have been true to their faith, religious zealots, the Protestants would rather have signed the treaty in the Mosque of Omar than under the gaze of some pope.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 09:51

You can call it what it is: art. Religious art is an important aspect of Rennaisance. 

If it was the statue of Cervantes would you be also insulted? (he fought the Ottomans at Lepanto)

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 09:53

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Without any pollyannish mumbo jumbo, could someone explain how a huge Christian statue hovers over the EU meeting hall. Is that not a reflection of religious iconism and symbolism?

It's not the "EU meeting hall". If you had looked at the link you provided yourself you'd have noticed it's an old statue in the same room in the palace on Capitol Hill, Rome, where the Constitution treaty was signed of traditional reasons last October (the Treaty of Rome establishing the EU was signed in the same room in 1957). It doesn't mean a sh*t, except that they wanted some posh surroundings to sign the treaty in 1957, to make it more ceremonial and impressive. Also, some might have failed to notice that only half of the EU are Catholics, and if indeed all members would have been true to their faith, religious zealots, the Protestants would rather have signed the treaty in the Mosque of Omar than under the gaze of some pope.

What a relief! Thanks for the info. As I searched somemore I ran across this:  ROME For all the grandiose speeches about political unity at the signing of the European Union's first constitution in Rome on Oct. 29, it was a bronze sculpture that spoke volumes about the bloc's current identity crisis.

.A statue of Pope Innocent X loomed over 25 EU leaders as they signed a constitution that does not mention the continent's Christian roots. The Vatican's repeated calls that it do so did not succeed, and even the hand on the 17th-century pope's statue seemed to extend in a frozen and futile appeal.

Instead, the statue was a reminder of Europe's spiritual past at a time when many conservative critics are contending that secularism is getting out of hand. Their suspicions were reinforced when a Roman Catholic Italian minister withdrew his candidacy for a post with the European Commission after being criticized for calling homosexuality a sin and saying that women were better off married and at home.

.Now a rare debate over social issues has gripped the European Union and added some spice to what is often regarded as a flavorless technocracy. Some commentators say they hope it will prompt more people to take an interest in EU politics.
"It is much easier for regular people to care about religion and values than technical economic questions," said Luca Diotallevi, a sociologist at the University of Rome who has studied the role of social values and religion in Europe. "It's possible that it will generate more interest in the EU."
.A strong secularism has dominated European political discourse since the original Treaty of Rome was signed in 1957, creating the European Economic Community, a forerunner of the European Union.

Because some of the union's pioneers were Catholics who believed the Continent's common Christian roots stretched across national boundaries, the Vatican has long supported the experiment.

.The negotiations over the constitution included heated debate over whether Europe's Christian roots should be recognized in the document, though in the end, the opponents prevailed.

"The European Parliament probably would have rejected Bush, but the American people have instead voted for him," Rocco Buttiglione, the Italian minister forced to step aside after failing to gain the support of his Parliament, said Wednesday in a statement. "America has shown itself more religious and more attentive to values than Europe."

.While some European political commentators warn that the battle over Buttiglione and the European constitution may undermine Catholic Church support for the EU, others, like Diotallevi, see a silver lining.
"It's positive," he said. "We will begin to discuss things that have long been taken for granted."

So it seems to be a snub at Christian conservatism. Since EU documents in the constitution ignore historical Christian (Catholic) roots. But there exists a balancing act to placate the religious, Catholic, sponsors.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 09:57
Originally posted by Yiannis

You can call it what it is: art. Religious art is an important aspect of Rennaisance. 

If it was the statue of Cervantes would you be also insulted? (he fought the Ottomans at Lepanto)

If the EU preaches secularism then there should not be a nod to religious icons. I do not see it fit to have statues representing any person in the quest for EU's supposed fair and balanced ideologies.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 10:15

But still, this kind of art is present almost everywhere in Europe. You cannot strip a historical building from its artwork just to appear secular. Secularism has to be proven in action and in the laws and practices of a country.

Anyway I see your point but I believe you're overreacting...

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 13:35

But still, this kind of art is present almost everywhere in Europe. You cannot strip a historical building from its artwork just to appear secular. Secularism has to be proven in action and in the laws and practices of a country.

So do you consider the huge statue of pope Sixtus II in the hall where European constitutions are signed as only an artwork? So they could put a nude man statue or the statue of Caesar from ancient Rome instead of this one. These could also represent the common ancient European civilization as a hole.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 13:45

Originally posted by Komnenos

What about Galatasaray and all the other Turkish clubs playing in the European Championsleague then? I'm sure Turkish football fans would be delighted if your clubs had to play Katmandu United and FC Pnom Penh in the Asian Competion, rather than Real Madrid or Chelsea.
So be consistent then , demand Turkeys withdrawal from UEFA, it would be easier to qualify for the World Cup anyway.

I want to remind you that teams like Hapoel Haifa (Israel), Beitar Jarusalem (Israel), Astana FK (Kazakhstan) and Dinamo Tbilisi also play in European championships. So lets take Kazakhstan, a country which has an eastern border to Altai mountains and Mongolia, to EU. I believe they would be glad to be accepted in EU and recieving all those funds just because their league is included in UEFA.

iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 02:22

It is not only secularism , Yannis. It is also democracy. Europe , or EU , is a democratic organization . There is freedom of speech freedom of political ideas , freedom of minorities to express themselves . So , any country who wishes to participate , has to prove its good will to behave in a democratic way . No country with terroristic practices may ever be admited...Law has to be obeyed ...EU laws have to be obeyed...International laws have to be obeyed....No ome is forcing anyone to be a EU member.....If anyone wants , he will have to prove that he deserves it. EU is not a charity foundation.

Isk.

Ionian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ionian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 18:42

*Mod edit*

Insults on religious leaders deleted. Watch it!

Edited by Yiannis
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 07:06

couldn't have put it better myself

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>