Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is EU christian?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Is EU Christian??
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [45.24%]
23 [54.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is EU christian?
    Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 09:24

Based on the words of the new pope;i wondered what you thout....

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 10:09

The governments are pretty secular in the EU.

Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 10:46

I think you should have added more possible answers, and/or better defined the scope of your question.

However. . .

• There is no doubt that European culture is profundly influenced by Christianity.
  • There is also no doubt that other cultural streams influenced the continent. Europe, in fact, is also the craddle of Secularism, in the modern sense.
  • Of course Christianity  in Europe is split in many different churches -- nearly al the ones existing in the world are represented in Europe. differently from other places, like the US, there are nearly clear-cut separations between Catholics (in the South-West), Protestants (in the North-West), Ortodoxes (in the East) etc.
  • There still is a remarkable number of Christians in Europe, although not as many as in other continents, namely the Americas. Moreover, one can be more specific if we better define what Christians are. If you name "Christians" all those who describe themselves as such, maybe they still are the majority of the European population. However, most of them are secularists who do not practice all the festivities, precepts and such, and often disagree with their respective churches' stances. If we consider just "hardcore" Christians, they are a minority nearly everywhere, ranging from 5% to 40% of the total population
  • AFAIK, nearly all European countries have no official state religion (with some remarcable exception)

Edited by Serge L
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 11:33

when the need religion they will use it like crusader campaign in 1097 A.D

but now they are unbeliver exept pope followers but in medival age the church was curraptte

Edited by Ahmed The Fighter
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 11:40
Originally posted by Serge L

• There is no doubt that European culture is profundly influenced by Christianity. .......

• Very good post, the only thing I want to add is that the great secular idelogy that sprung from Europe, Marxism, shares so many components with Judaeo-Christianity, that it can't be a coincidence. That Marxism is an atheist belief, is only a minor deviance.
    [IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
    Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
    Shogun
    Shogun

Quote Capt. Lubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 13:14
    Governments are mainly secular. Most people in the northern europe are agnostic/atheist. That tendency is showing also in the catholic countries in the south. But christianity is the BIGGEST religion within the EU.

Edited by Capt. Lubber
    Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
    Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
    Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
    A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
    aknc View Drop Down
    Chieftain
    Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 14:11
    I now but the pope said that EU was ahristian and turkey should not be allowed because it has a large population of muslims
    "I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Cywr View Drop Down
    King
    King
    Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 14:14
    The pope has no authority in the EU, he can say whatever the hell he likes.
    Arrrgh!!"
    Mosquito View Drop Down
    Caliph
    Caliph
    Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 15:46

Originally posted by aknc

I now but the pope said that EU was ahristian and turkey should not be allowed because it has a large population of muslims

Which pope and when said it? got any link? i never heard it

Thegeneral View Drop Down
    Chieftain
    Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 17:34
    Unfortunatly they are not!
    Teup View Drop Down
    Earl
    Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 18:59

Originally posted by Thegeneral

Unfortunatly they are not!

Fortunately we are not!

Whatever you do, don't
    Thegeneral View Drop Down
    Chieftain
    Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 19:12

Yeah, sure.....

Just wait till the wrath of God comes down upon you .  Then we will see who is secularist.

Paul View Drop Down
    General
    General
    AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 19:57

Sounds terrifying...

Thank God! I'm an athiest.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
    strategos View Drop Down
    Chieftain
    Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 20:00

Most of current Europe has culture that was influenced greatly On CHRISTIANITY. I don't follow this pope or any pope, so who cares that the pope says.

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
    hugoestr View Drop Down
    Tsar
    Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 21:11
    Originally posted by Thegeneral

Yeah, sure.....

Just wait till the wrath of God comes down upon you . Then we will see who is secularist.

Will the wrath takes the secular coasts of the U.S. too?
    cattus View Drop Down
    Arch Duke
    Arch Duke
    Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 22:28
    If a major catastrophe or war hit the continent, it would become very christian very quickly.
    hugoestr View Drop Down
    Tsar
    Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 22:44
    Why Christian? Couldn't they get God through Islam? I think we Americans are projecting what we would do to Europeans. Actually, getting religion after a disaster is a very American thing to do

Cywr View Drop Down
    King
    King
    Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 22:52
    The un-religiousness of Europeans is grossly overhyped IMHO, most Europeans are religious, they are just quieter and more private about it.
    Arrrgh!!"
    hugoestr View Drop Down
    Tsar
    Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 23:09
    Originally posted by Cywr

The un-religiousness of Europeans is grossly overhyped IMHO, most
    Europeans are religious, they are just quieter and more private about
    it.

That is a very nice way to be religious.
    cattus View Drop Down
    Arch Duke
    Arch Duke
    Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 23:58
    Originally posted by hugoestr

Actually, getting religion after a disaster is a very American thing to do

I think you are letting your self-denigrating nature as an american cloud your thought here. It is the christian thing to do.

Yes, perhaps many are not being the best christians but there is a large number of good christians who are simply not into organized religion or have faith in the church at all.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>