Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gelas, a man-headed bull

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gelas, a man-headed bull
    Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 10:58

This is a statue of an ancient man-headed bull in Gilan, a region in the northwest of Iran which has been mentioned as Gelas by Ptolemy, Strabo and other ancient historians:

Somehow similar to the bulls of Persepolis:

But Gelas is also a town on the southern coast of Sicily and there was a similar ancient Greek river-god named Gelas:

Can it be true?!
Jarns View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Jarns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 13:51
Pareidolia.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2011 at 20:41
That statue is very badly worn. It's hard to tell what it once was
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2011 at 01:09
natural phenomena.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2011 at 01:50
There are many ancient buildings which look natural, like the huge Iraj Fortress:

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 07-Nov-2011 at 01:55
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2011 at 02:19
in fact on coin was written Gelas not Elas.Or maybe this had been spoken different those days?!?
Jarns View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Jarns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2011 at 19:32
 While the Iraj Fortress may or may not be a natural-looking structure (this is the first I have heard of it), that does not make your rock formation a bull-headed man, let alone a statue. 
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2011 at 11:17
Originally posted by Jarns

While the Iraj Fortress may or may not be a natural-looking structure (this is the first I have heard of it), that does not make your rock formation a bull-headed man, let alone a statue. 

Whether this is a bull-headed man or not, is another issue, in fact it is really difficult to say what it exactly looked like thousands years ago, but if we know about the history of the region and people who lived there then we can say more things about it.

The problem is that some poeple think these are just some natural buildings, this one at least looks like something but for example Atashgah just looks like a rocky mountain:

Jarns View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Jarns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2011 at 15:56
 It's impossible to say without some contemporary account.

The picture you just posted, however, shows some notable carving happening. You can see the work of a human being in that. Such a thing is not visible in the rock formation that started this thread.
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2011 at 16:03
Originally posted by medenaywe

in fact on coin was written Gelas not Elas.Or maybe this had been spoken different those days?!?

The letter gamma is just worn out I think.
Timidi mater non flet
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2011 at 16:07
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

Originally posted by medenaywe

The letter gamma is just worn out I think.

I agree. there is something left side of e, maybe g Big smile
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
 Post Reply Post Reply