Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Piperi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Linguist View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Linguist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Piperi
    Posted: 01-Nov-2011 at 19:19
I am looking for some help with the word Piperi.  Is it commonly used as the word for pepper?  I see it is also an island.  Is there anything offensive about the name?  When pronounced, which syllable is emphasized.  Thank you 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2011 at 20:40
Looks like a job for our resident Greek-speakers Eaglecap, Erkut and Vagos
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2011 at 21:31
Originally posted by Linguist

Is it commonly used as the word for pepper? 

it should be. (just guess) Big smile

Piperi (Greek: Πιπέρι meaning pepper) is a Greek island in the Sporades. (viki)

when you chech " Πιπέρι" in google pictures, you will see it; first pictures are blackpepper

also the word of pepper in Turkish comes from Greek (Turkish Language Association's dictionary); Biber

Edited by Ollios - 07-Nov-2011 at 12:56
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2012 at 03:42
"Piper" is "peppers" in Bulgarian too. So one calls the red and green peppers "piper" or "chushka", and paprika 'red piper", black pepper is "black piper". I think "piper" is more used in North-East Bulgaria, in an area where lots of lots of Turks live, I think it's Turkish word; the word "chuchka" is used more in Western Bulgaria.

Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2012 at 08:19
The ultimate etymology of the word is from Sanskrit "pippali". The Arabic "filfil" is probably derived from it too via Aramaic or Hebrew "pelpalta" or "pelpal" respectively.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2012 at 13:35
Originally posted by Don Quixote

"Piper" is "peppers" in Bulgarian too. So one calls the red and green peppers "piper" or "chushka", and paprika 'red piper", black pepper is "black piper". I think "piper" is more used in North-East Bulgaria, in an area where lots of lots of Turks live, I think it's Turkish word; the word "chuchka" is used more in Western Bulgaria.

As I told before, Turkish version of piper (biber) is greek origin word (according to highest Turkish language authority, Turkish Language Association-TDK)

Originally posted by Arab

The ultimate etymology of the word is from Sanskrit "pippali". The Arabic "filfil" is probably derived from it too via Aramaic or Hebrew "pelpalta" or "pelpal" respectively.

maybe arab is right. It can be older word like from Sanskrit
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2012 at 13:44
Originally posted by Ollios

As I told before, Turkish version of piper (biber) is greek origin word (according to highest Turkish language authority, Turkish Language Association-TDK)
[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with that, I found that  in Ancient Greek the word is "piperi". However, the use of the word "piper" for green and red long peppers came to Bulgaria via the turks, and is used more in areas where more Turks live, while in other regions where there are no of less Turks, the Bulgaian word "chushka" is used, not "piper".

Edited by Don Quixote - 06-Feb-2012 at 14:59
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2012 at 16:01

Originally posted by Arab

maybe arab is right. It can be older word like from Sanskrit

Pepper reached Europe as a result of Alexander's conquests. Theophrastus confirmed this in the beginning of 3rd century BC. He made a distinction between long and round pepper. So Greek "piperi" is derived via Persian from Middle Indic, and ultimately from Sanskrit.

Turkish "biber" is derived from Greek. Hebrew and Arabic words for pepper are probably borrowed from Aramaic "pelpalta", as this was the first appearance of the word in a Semitic language.

Kurdish "bibari" could be from Greek as well.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2012 at 01:03
It was not.Do you know something about this,from agriculture point?It needs a lot of water to grows up
hard as a rock.Than here we are,word describes my words above:PiPeRi=From drink Rock connects!Full description fill be posted inside Origins of language.Smile
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2012 at 09:50

[QUOTE=Ollios]
...red long peppers came to Bulgaria via the turks, and is used more in areas where more Turks live, while in other regions where there are no of less Turks, the Bulgaian word "chushka" is used, not "piper".

I checked and learn something from you. I found your chushka in Turkish as "şuşka" or "çuşka"
example TDK says çuşka: bulgarian origin word for red chill pepper. however according to some sources, Turks call it "Albanian Pepper"

Does chushka have a speacial shape? like

or is it general name for all peppers in North and West Bulgaria

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2012 at 07:25
PiPeRi=Drunk Rock(PiPeRi,It) connects!
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2012 at 19:36

I checked and learn something from you. I found your chushka in Turkish as "şuşka" or "çuşka"
example TDK says çuşka: bulgarian origin word for red chill pepper. however according to some sources, Turks call it "Albanian Pepper"

Does chushka have a speacial shape? like

or is it general name for all peppers in North and West Bulgaria

In North-east Bulgaria - the Deliormana /Crazy Forest/ "piper" is called the big peppers that are stuffed with meat and rice:
http://birdworms.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/chervena-chushka.jpg
and the small hot peppers like on your picture are called "liuta piperka" /small hot peppers.
In West Bulgaria, North and south, AFAIK, the big red ones from my pictire are called "cushka", and the small hot ones are called "liuta chuska" /hot pepper/.
However, the bell pepper, red and green /there are no yellow and white ones from this kind in Bulgaria, at least when I was there/ in West Bulgara are called "kapia" /the same word is used to tell to someone that he/she is funny/; and North-East Bulgaria are called  "dolma-piper":
http://patrishka.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/red-bell-peppers.jpg

The smaller green ones, like this one
http://www.colourbox.com/preview/1552587-629770-bulgarian-pepper-on-a-white-with-shade.jpg
/they are usually cooked filled with cheese and eggs/ are called in North-East Bulgaria "piperki" /smaller pepper/, and in West Bulgaria "zeleni chuski" /green pepper/.
Also there is this one, which is small and round, /this is the closest picture I can find/, maybe 2.5 inches, and it's used only for pickling, /full with carrots and celery steeped in oil and honey/, is called "kamba"
http://thumb1.shutterstock.com/thumb_small/97948/97948,1225790614,2/stock-photo-bulgarian-sweet-pepper-19963516.jpg
Finally, there is this one,
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QaR51gSQqlE/Tn4yZLg1lBI/AAAAAAAABwc/61rtPIuQiEA/s1600/IMG_9500.JPG
the green one, that is called "chorbadjiiska cushka' /rich-man's pepper/, and it's mostly used for pickling with water and vinegar.

There are quite a few Turkish words in Bulgarian, mostly connected with food, like "bamia/okra", "patladjan/eggplant",  "giozum/mint", and with kitchen stuff, like "tava"/big flat pan for baking/, "tendjera" /deep pan/, and others I cannot think of now. Also, words like "babait"/big man/, "kahur"/sad thought/, "sevda" /unrequited love/ are used in everyday Bulgarian lingo, some of them with nefative meaning, like "surat"/face, but used as "ugly face, animal face/. And this is more than normal, Bulgaria was for 500 years a part of the Ottoman Empire, and there is a a big Turkish minority in it now, so people learned how to live together, and exchanged words in the same way they exchanged recipes etc.

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2012 at 10:24
Great pics of peppers.  Just a side note, did you know that every one of those "Peppers" has origins that trace back to South America?

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2012 at 19:52
YupSmile!
I have very hard time explaining this to my mother, she doesn't believe it. She says that peppers are "native Bulgarian"...OTOH she doesn't believe me that there is yogurt in US either, because "only in Bulgaria there the athmospheric pressure is just right to make yogurt"Dead.
What do we do for our moms, you know...like enduring discussions like that .... Shocked.

Edited by Don Quixote - 15-Feb-2012 at 19:54
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2012 at 00:55

Thanks for information, I will try to use sometimes this word as a half Bulgarian Turk

Edited by Ollios - 17-Feb-2012 at 00:56
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2012 at 01:07
So, you're my brother from another mother!?!Smile
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2012 at 07:34
Piperi=PiPeRi=Ripe rock resurrects!

Did they pay with piper?Big smileWork of crop mill can start now!Enjoy.

Edited by medenaywe - 08-Sep-2012 at 07:43
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2012 at 15:41
Or maybe ripe of harvest starts with this culture!?!My Father could have known this if he was  alive.Agriculture was his academic degree and full pension life work.Have to check it!
This is Ripe rock of Water Mill:

Edited by medenaywe - 16-Sep-2012 at 02:26
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2012 at 13:32

So, you're my brother from another mother!?!Smile
So, you are Bulgarian. I didn't expect that honestly!
Everybody listen only this which understands.
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2012 at 11:22
This thread is like a chat room
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>