Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cowboy guns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cowboy guns
    Posted: 21-Oct-2011 at 20:18
You are a drifter passing through a dangerous Wild West town. After the sheriff is gunned down by Clay Allison the town council unanimously appoints you his replacement. The town is full of rowdy drunk cowboys with six-guns, gamblers who won't pay, bank robbers, hotheaded young gunslingers seeking to gain a reputation, and a gang of bandits looking for revenge after you killed one of their men.

What sort of sheriff would you be? A chivalric role-model in the mould of John Wayne or Roy Rogers? A peacemaker seeking to unite the quarreling factions? A maverick who shoots first? Or a hired bully on the payroll of the mining company, saloon owners and cattle barons who preys upon and extorts money from the weak?

Your jailhouse boasts an impressive collection of confiscated guns. Which one would you wear?

Colt Navy - A common, widely available gun in .36 caliber patented in 1851

Colt Army - The main sidearm of the US army during the Civil War

Colt Peacemaker - A new gun in service with the cavalry. Your predecessor owned an engraved one with ivory grips

Colt Dragoon - The very site of this .44 monster would cause most bandits to crap their pants and skedaddle

Colt Pocket revolver - A miniature .31 caliber Colt Navy that can fit in your coat pocket

Remington revolver - A .36 revolver said to be worth 10 Colts. Its cylinders can be quickly changed, even from horseback

Schofield revolver - A double action .44 revolver made by Smith and Wesson

Sawed off shotgun - Two barrels of buckshot are guaranteed to hit something

Volcanic pistol - An early lever action gun in .44 caliber

Lemat Revolver - Nine cartridges plus a 12 gauge shotgun shell

Adams Revolver - A .44 double-action handgun used not only by the British army, but also by wealthy US officers

Derringer - The preferred weapon of gamblers that can be easily concealed in the coat sleeve: with one flick of the wrist it's in your hand

Lemon squeezer pistol - Similar to a derringer but with 8 shots. Easily concealed but useless at long range. Its .22 caliber bullets have little stopping power.

Lancaster pistol - An unusual gun to find out West. This 4 barreled .577 pepperbox is normally used to hunt big game in Africa

Colt Buntline - A long-barreled Peacemaker used by Wyatt Earp. It is deadly accurate at long range and well balanced, despite its unwieldy appearance
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2011 at 18:49
Since I have a Navy Colt, I'll just have to go with that one.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2011 at 19:09
Good choice Okamido. I've got a similar gun, but with a shorter barrel and brass frame (i'm planning to get it silver plated and fitted with ivory or bone grips when i have the money)
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2011 at 19:27
I don't think you will be able to get the ivory...unless you have some back-alley connections :)

Is walrus tusk legal? That may be a way to go.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2011 at 19:13
I've always wanted to own a Dragoon, like Wild Bill. I went to Deadwood when i was 16 and visited the saloon where he was shot
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2011 at 22:51
I realized that I had a photo of mine on my facebook page. It is an unconverted cap and ball.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2011 at 19:21
Cool gun Okamido. It's a pity our stupid firearms laws only allow the ownership of cap-and-ball revolvers. I can understand banning automatics, but all the 1997 Firearms Act did was punish law-abiding citizens as criminals continued using illegal handguns to this day. If the government wants to put a stop to gun crime they should legalize cartridge revolvers (smaller than .38 calibre) and introduce a long prison sentence for anyone caught with an illegal gun
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2011 at 11:39
That Schofield is really cool looking. Me, I would have carried a couple of pocket revolvers 'in pocket', and a shotgun when a  fracas looks possible.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2011 at 22:09
Unclefred sounds like the sort of lawman you wouldn't want to mess with. Those short-barreled Colt Pockets were a lot faster to draw, while their .38 cartridges meant you could carry more on your belt compared to a .44.
Autie View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Autie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2011 at 21:21
Originally posted by unclefred

That Schofield is really cool looking. Me, I would have carried a couple of pocket revolvers 'in pocket', and a shotgun when a  fracas looks possible.

Right you are Uncle...I will take a scatter gun with pistols as back-up anytime in close combatClap
“[I have] too much confidence in your zeal, energy, and ability to wish to impose upon you precise orders...” - Terry to Custer
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2011 at 15:00
Originally posted by okamido

I don't think you will be able to get the ivory...unless you have some back-alley connections :)

Is walrus tusk legal? That may be a way to go.

I'm not sure. At the moment i'm trying to carve a new pair of grips from a piece of bone, nicely matured courtesy of my twin sisters. I think i'll hammer in silver conchos or small tacks rather than attempt an intricate eagle design as i've never carved bone before
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2011 at 19:17
I'd be interested to hear what gun Centrix would pick. There's undoubtedly a lot more to being a cowboy than what the silver screen has you believe
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 20:03
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2012 at 19:18

Was Steve McQueen's mare's laig based on a real Old West gun? I know lever action pistols were made before the Civil War but i've never heard of anyone cutting down a Winchester rifle
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2012 at 23:22
I got my basic military training on AK-47
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/AK-47_type_II_Part_DM-ST-89-01131.jpg
So I'll have to get a time machine to supply my needsSmile
But that's my favorite

http://images.wikia.com/callofdutyrp/images/c/c2/Model_3561_big.jpg

I also have Luger C9, 9mm
http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/100123630/9089685/img_1907.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

and High Point JHP 45

and a Remington 700, 22 Rifle
http://www.realguns.com/images/rem700cdl300umrt.jpg

The only one good thing in living in the country is that one can shoot targets in one's backyard.
So, I guess, if I was there and then, I'd be a peacemaker; but I have to get my stuff from here so I don't have to readjust. From your pictures I like the Colt Army, but I had neaver shot it, so I rather not rick my life in so unprepared fashion.

Edited by Don Quixote - 22-Apr-2012 at 23:28
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2012 at 09:02
Colt 357 magnum.

Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2012 at 19:35

Before Colt introduced the .357 magnum, their most powerful handgun was the Colt Walker of the Mexican War. It had a range of over 100 yards: greater than that of a smoothbore musket
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2012 at 00:27
Nick, the Schofield revolver you show is not the double action model. Note the trigger position.
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2012 at 20:01

I should have also added the other famous S&W revolver: the Model 1 from the Civil War
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2012 at 20:26
You gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>