Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WW1 Tanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WW1 Tanks
    Posted: 14-Oct-2011 at 20:59

In response to the successes of Britain's tanks, the Germans created their own land ironclad: the A7V. Above is a cross section of this behemoth which had a 57mm gun in addition to its 6 machine guns and rifle ports
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2011 at 19:39

Here is a cross section of a British Mk I tank from 1916. Designers hadn't yet solved the steering problem (slowing and speeding up the tracks) and relied on a pair of guiding wheels attached to the rear
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2011 at 03:21

Tsar Tank, 1914-1915 Russia (experimental)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czar_tank

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanks_in_World_War_I

It is like first bicycles Big smile

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2011 at 19:00
Now that really is weird. The Russians nicknamed the Tsar Tank the "bat" because from above it resembled a roosting pipistrelle.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2011 at 19:02

Another cross-section, this time of a Whippet tank. As you can see, it was a simple design derived from an armored car
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2011 at 19:32

France's FT-17, one of the best tanks of the war. These were used well into the 1940s and two were recently discovered in Afghanistan
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2011 at 21:18

America's Liberty tank, the culmination of Britain's original 1916 design. Only three survive today, out of the 125 produced

Edited by Nick1986 - 25-Oct-2011 at 21:19
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2011 at 19:42

Cross-section of Britain's late-war "Hornet" tank Mark C
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2011 at 19:03
Something of interest to you Ollios:
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2011 at 20:54

Inside the final variant of the British lozenge tank, the Mk V
Kevinmeath View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kevinmeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 18:36
I think we forget what a huge leap the 'Tank' they were quite literally from the pages of 'Sci-Fi'.
The first world war changed so much look at areoplanes , 1914 they can barely fly over the channel to France by 1918 we have fighter bombers etc its only 4 years a very short time really.
cymru am byth
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 18:49
Old Da Vinci thought up everything before us :p. But weren't WWI tanks prone to mechanical problems? And what carried the extra fuel trucks?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2012 at 19:36
Originally posted by Delenda est Roma

Old Da Vinci thought up everything before us :p. But weren't WWI tanks prone to mechanical problems? And what carried the extra fuel trucks?

Indeed. As Centrix will tell you, tanks were slow, unwieldy, and caught fire easily. The French solved the fuel problem by creating "chars de ravitaillement:" armored supply carriers capable of following the tanks.
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2012 at 19:21
Fuel, believe it or not, wasn't a major issue for the tanks of WWI, since they were created solely to waddle a couple of hundred yards across No Man's Land, breach the wire, cross the initial trench line and fend of or destroy the enemy machine gunners to allow the accompanying infantry to exploit the breakthrough.  Beyond that, no actual role existed for them until much later.

The French need for armored fuel trucks appears to have been primarily for their armored, self-propelled artillery units.

St. Chammond

Edited by Mountain Man - 16-Aug-2012 at 19:25
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2012 at 19:24
While we're at it, this was the French WWI contribution to tanks, the CharD Assaut St. Chammond.

Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2012 at 20:15
Originally posted by Nick1986

Indeed. As Centrix will tell you, tanks were slow, unwieldy, and caught fire easily. The French solved the fuel problem by creating "chars de ravitaillement:" armored supply carriers capable of following the tanks.

A good solution,
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2012 at 17:23

A good solution,

But one which points out the vulnerability of rear area activities such as re-fueling to enemy artillery fire.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2012 at 19:14
Model of a French Schneider Char de Ravitaillement
http://www.landships.freeservers.com/new_pages/schneider_rev_model.htm
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2012 at 19:52

Model of a French Schneider Char de Ravitaillement
http://www.landships.freeservers.com/new_pages/schneider_rev_model.htm

"broken link redirect"
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2012 at 19:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>