Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

History of Indian food

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History of Indian food
    Posted: 13-Oct-2011 at 19:52
Ask any Brit and he'll tell you our national dish is chicken tikka: a curry invented by Indian immigrants using British ingredients. For years we have loved spicy Indian food and every decent-sized town has at least one curry shop. Spices, originally used to disguise the taste of rotten meat, became a flavor in themselves: throughout Europe and Asia sauces became a sign of high-status as the rich sought to set themselves apart from the poor. Who invented the first curry and how did it become the national dish of India?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2011 at 04:32
Wait a second, I thought curry was a British national dish not an Indian one. I get that it was Indian immigrants who are thought to have come up with the recipe but just because it uses Indian spices, does that automatically mean it is an Indian dish? Don't forget Chicken Korma and Jalfrezi, god I love those two Big smile
Timidi mater non flet
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2011 at 20:53
Originally posted by Nick1986

Ask any Brit and he'll tell you our national dish is chicken tikka: a curry invented by Indian immigrants using British ingredients. For years we have loved spicy Indian food and every decent-sized town has at least one curry shop. Spices, originally used to disguise the taste of rotten meat, became a flavor in themselves: throughout Europe and Asia sauces became a sign of high-status as the rich sought to set themselves apart from the poor. Who invented the first curry and how did it become the national dish of India?

curry's were largely invented by Mughals and the muslims rulers of india who came from central asia in the 15th / 16th century. In india itself the main indian cuisine that we eat in the west is known as (Mughali Cuisine)

Mughals brought with themselves central asian cuisines like kababs, pulaos etc... to India but they also innovated a lot of stuff in India in their Royal Kitchens. Basically every popular indian dish can be traced to royal kitchens of the Mughal empire. I believe BBC itself did documentary on this years ago

Of course south indian food is different

Edited by balochii - 16-Oct-2011 at 20:56
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2011 at 19:23
I've noticed similarities between curry, Turkish and North African food (although the latter two are more aromatic and less peppery). What sort of food was eaten in India before the Mughals?
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2011 at 00:12
^ before muslims came, i would assume mostly vegetarian, i know only some hindus caste were allowed to eat meat. i have heard that indian food was very bland back then

Also yes there are similarities between some middle eastern dishes and mughal indian food, mostly because of the trade in the muslim world in the middle ages. India was part of the muslim world for almost a 1000 years
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2011 at 19:18
I'm surprised Indians didn't use spices in their cooking before the Muslims arrived. Here in Europe we've been using naturally-growing herbs like parsley, rosemary or thyme to flavor our food since the Middle Ages, as well as cinnamon, cloves and pepper brought back during the Crusades
innocent View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote innocent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2011 at 03:31
Don't agree that vegetarian Indian food was bland .... completely disagree with you, since I've eaten many and know the taste. 
Also, agree there was influences from Middle-east food on Inidan food due to Mughal, etc rule but it created a new fusion of new flavour , thats why these food are made in India and not native of Middle - East and not eaten by them in their daily food.

"India was part of the muslim world for almost a 1000 years" - who is denying that....we fought all these years with these people till they collapsed LOL
innocent View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote innocent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2011 at 03:33
I've also heard from somewhere  the famous South Indian delicacy "Idli" is influenced by Indonesia.
Ancient Dravidian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ancient Dravidian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2011 at 12:58
Basically original Dravidian food is best and most expensive food to make. We consider any other cuisine as very inferior, especially Hindopak cuisine. Even our Veg food alone is better than anything else in the world. 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2011 at 13:01
Tell us more, Dravidian. As a gourmet i'm always looking for new dishes to try
Ancient Dravidian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ancient Dravidian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2011 at 13:23
If you want to taste the food you need to have a Dravidian family connection, because 90% of Dravidian restaurants make food veryyyy cheaply. There are also private/public marriages, where you will get original Dravidian food. Don't eat anywhere outside of India. Most of these "Indian" restaurants prepare "curries" we even won't give our street dogs.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2011 at 19:07
Coincidentally i had curry for dinner today: pilau rice, prawn bhuna, chicken tikka and tandoori lamb
Parashuraman View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Parashuraman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2011 at 21:12
The food advertised outside of India as "Indian" food is actually eaten by only a very miniscule portion of the general Indian population and that too only on special occasions.  It should more properly be termed as Mughlai cuisine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mughlai_cuisine

More about "real" Indian food:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_cuisine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry

Edited by Parashuraman - 12-Nov-2011 at 21:15
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2011 at 21:21
Thanks Parashuraman. Why not introduce yourself in the Tavern? We've had quite a few Indian members join us in the last couple of months
Parashuraman View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Parashuraman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2011 at 21:56
Done.  Thanks Smile.
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2011 at 16:24
I like south indian food, I use to go to a restaurant called Sarvana Bhavan in Dubai, which was popular among arabs there also. Arabs generally loved all south asian foods
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2011 at 04:49
I love Indian food, when in India I live off Thalis not curry.

However curry means something completely different in India to what it does in Britain. What the British eat is highly influenced by the portuguese using new world ingredients such as chilli, potato, tomatoes, ect, that didn't exist in India before the Portuguese took Goa.

I took an Indian friend to a British Indian restaurant a while back because he wanted to try a British curry I suggested he try a Phall, he ordered a Tikka Masala, he wasn't impressed with the Tikka Masala at all and complained they took out all the spice and replaced it with sugar. I offered to share my Phall, he ate one mouthful, drank three glasses of water, went back to his Tikka Masala and said the Tikka Masala was ok after all.

Edited by Toltec - 15-Nov-2011 at 04:55
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2011 at 21:36
Pakistani food is similar to north indian but in Pakistan (meat) is the main ingredient used for almost every dish, infact in pakistan it is impossible to be a vegetarian. Pakistani cuisine is also influenced by other neighbors like afghanistan and iran

Edited by balochii - 15-Nov-2011 at 21:38
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2011 at 19:15
Originally posted by Toltec

I love Indian food, when in India I live off Thalis not curry.

However curry means something completely different in India to what it does in Britain. What the British eat is highly influenced by the portuguese using new world ingredients such as chilli, potato, tomatoes, ect, that didn't exist in India before the Portuguese took Goa.

I took an Indian friend to a British Indian restaurant a while back because he wanted to try a British curry I suggested he try a Phall, he ordered a Tikka Masala, he wasn't impressed with the Tikka Masala at all and complained they took out all the spice and replaced it with sugar. I offered to share my Phall, he ate one mouthful, drank three glasses of water, went back to his Tikka Masala and said the Tikka Masala was ok after all.

LOLLOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply