Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How patriotic are you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: How patriotic are you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [14.29%]
7 [10.00%]
8 [11.43%]
11 [15.71%]
13 [18.57%]
4 [5.71%]
3 [4.29%]
6 [8.57%]
7 [10.00%]
1 [1.43%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How patriotic are you?
    Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 18:19
Originally posted by Paul

Originally posted by yan.

I voted 6. What about "I support my country, regardless what the government are doing. Especially if they invade Liechtenstein! "? Just think about how much money they could seize..

Luxemberg would be even more profitable... Than again both better again. Austria is pretty wealthy too.. and German.... and Poland's practically part of Germany! The french'll come round after a few years occupation and the Italian's can barely run the country themselves you'd be practically saving them. And Russians they just need liberating and Germans could even settle some of the Ukraine.... you never know it could last a 1000 years, that's the spirit!!

Bah, Luxemburg is part of NATO, no chance to conquer them if you can't get them to look like the actual aggressor.

Liechtenstein OTOH could easily be categorized as being somehow evil, a tiny island of autocracy in Europe that has supported money laundering, organized crime and international narco trade in the past - it's about time to free our European brothers from the oppression of Hans Adam II !

I think they have a defence treaty with Switzerland, though, so the first task would be to isolate both countries from each other ; ) .

Edited by yan.
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 18:21
I voted 4. I am perfectly aware of the fact that being patriotic is pointless and irrational, but so is eating chocolate  I just am, for fun. And I like it when others are about their countries as well. And I love chocolate!
Whatever you do, don't
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 18:26
There is a difference between nationalism and chocolate.  Chocolate tastes good, while nationalism tastes bad. If it's in the form of oranjevla that is.

Edited by Mixcoatl
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 18:31
I voted very patriotic for my country the USA but to be extremely patriotic would be to support everything my government does. It is an institution run by man and all manmade institutions are vurnable to corruption in some way.

Now, for Greece I am mildly patriotic- I love Greece!!!

Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 18:48

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

There is a difference between nationalism and chocolate.  Chocolate tastes good, while nationalism tastes bad. If it's in the form of oranjevla that is.

There's a difference between being patriotic on a forum now and then for fun and go out and purify your race or something  And if people weren't being patriotic, differences between cultures would be far less obvious to me at least..

Whatever you do, don't
RED GUARD View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote RED GUARD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 19:11
      Considering my avatar, I don't think you guys need to be told...
Quotes by your's turly:

"I came, I saw, and I conquered... but only for the weekend"

"This is my tank, this is my weapon, and this is my pride."

"Power comes from a barrel of a gun."

Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 19:35

Originally posted by RED GUARD

Considering my avatar, I don't think you guys need to be told...

Teup had another "I can tell what the post is by the poster's name" moment

Whatever you do, don't
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 19:42

[/QUOTE] Bah, Luxemburg is part of NATO, no chance to conquer them if you can't get them to look like the actual aggressor.

Liechtenstein OTOH could easily be categorized as being somehow evil, a tiny island of autocracy in Europe that has supported money laundering, organized crime and international narco trade in the past - it's about time to free our European brothers from the oppression of Hans Adam II !

I think they have a defence treaty with Switzerland, though, so the first task would be to isolate both countries from each other ; ) .

[/QUOTE]

I love how you have already planned out t he next reich to last a 1000 years !  But you could do some good in Europe.  Europe needs to be under one controll for a while.  Especailly France, Italy, Russia, and maybe the Ukrain!  Good luck with that, but don't try to get away with that exscue "We were liberating them".  It didn't even work for America in Iraq

dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 19:51
 I voted 8. Because I disagree with the government a little.
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 20:07
Originally posted by Thegeneral

I love how you have already planned out t he next reich to last a 1000 years !  But you could do some good in Europe.  Europe needs to be under one controll for a while.  Especailly France, Italy, Russia, and maybe the Ukrain!  Good luck with that, but don't try to get away with that exscue "We were liberating them".  It didn't even work for America in Iraq

That's just because you let all those nay-sayers get away. You guys need to learn from China and Tibet. After some studies of pre-Napeolonic maps I'd say we don't even need an excuse, since Liechtenstein is historically an inalienable part of Germany anyway : ) .

Reuniting all the other break-away parts of the regnum teutoniae and the franconian empire can only follow after we have liberated our ethnic brothers from feudal oppression.

Edited by yan.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 21:07
I would have no problems with you reuniting all of German again and it lasting 1000 years, but I doubt that that UN would like it.  But America screwed them, why can't Germany?  Oh, because for the very first time in German history, the Germans agree with the French.... scary thought actually!
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 23:43
Originally posted by Exarchus

5. I love my country but I won't follow it blindly.

This is quite frankly one of the wisest things I have ever read. Exarchus, I commend you. This should be in a quotebook.

I am also a 5, for the same reason as Exarchus.
Gazi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Gazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2005 at 08:16
I love my country but patriotism is a way to facism and the facists in Turkey have killed many people in the late 70s and early 80s.So I'd say 5.

Edited by Gazi
Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2005 at 14:19

The government is for the country (state), and the country exists for the nation, so it is difficult to decide on your level of patriotism, without judging the current conditions btw these three elements.

Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2005 at 15:12
I voted 6, although I mean the culture, people and history of the area where a state is not, i.e. I don't like the state necesserally (woteva....)
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2005 at 16:56

voted 2, but of course i'm very nationalistic, it's just that my country is not independend at the moment. 

ok, i'm not nationalistic, but heck, I was born here and spend all my youth here, even if I would move and live in another country (which is my plan), i would still have feeligns for this place.

and btw, Liechtenstein was for a long time part of Austria.

yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2005 at 17:00

Originally posted by Thegeneral

I would have no problems with you reuniting all of German again and it lasting 1000 years, but I doubt that that UN would like it.  But America screwed them, why can't Germany?  Oh, because for the very first time in German history, the Germans agree with the French.... scary thought actually!
I still hope it's just part of a very elaborate scheme - first, alienate other 'big' EU members by acting like "l'Europe, c'est nous", while pursuing a policy of accelerated political integration - this part should culminate into an EU only consisting of a German/French superstate. Second, Take control of this superstate. Should be possible even by purely democratic means. Third, claim all those countries that 'have always been part of Europe'.

Now that we have taken over the Vatican, the re-installation of the Holy Roman Empire seems to become a viable alternative, though.

yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2005 at 17:03
Originally posted by Temujin

and btw, Liechtenstein was for a long time part of Austria.

Correct, and Austria was part of the Holy Roman Empire  .
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2005 at 18:32

Oh yeah, now y ou have the Pope to help you with the epborate plan of yours!

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2005 at 22:13

Originally posted by hugoestr

I voted myself a 9, because I don't confuse the current government with the country. I love deeply the principals under which the country was founded, although the balance of power seems to be breaking down today. I will see what happens.

perhaps you are right and I should revise my numbers.  When it comes to Americas core principles of freedom, individualism and secular small governemtn controll, yes I love that, I love being from a nation that was so expertly planned and created fromt he ground up.

But now things are almsot the total opposite of that.  I think just because your born somewhere doesnt mean you have to love that place.  America once pioneered human political rights, now it holds them back, so I guess I am patriotic of the level 9 when it comes to American history especially at the beggining, but now I think countries like the Netherlands and others are the real social and political rights and right now I would be mor inclined to be patriotc for them than my own country.

Must learn Dutch....must move to a place that really values freedom and doesnt just batter it around as a word to justify things that are the antithesis of freedom.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>