Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMayan elephants

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mayan elephants
    Posted: 14-Sep-2011 at 19:26

This Mayan temple at Chichen Itza depicts what looks like two elephants with raised trunk. Is this evidence of trade with Africa (or more likely India due to their lack of tusks), did a small population of Mammoths survive the Ice Age, or were these carvings based on memories handed down from long-dead ancestors?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2011 at 08:28
How about just coincidence? Tongue
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2011 at 09:24

With a nod to occams razor, the simplest being the most logical, people in the Americas new what an elephant was.
This childs toy was removed from an Olmec tomb. 
Nick, considering Maize shows up in Indian artwork starting around 1st cent. it's not impossible they are Indian elephants. 

Edited by red clay - 18-Sep-2011 at 09:34
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2011 at 09:38

It looks like more to a stick or hook than an elephant's trunk!

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2011 at 11:09
Looking a little closer I thought I noted ape like features. Though this doesn't mean it's impossible people in the Americas might have no had knowledge handed onto them from the time their people migrated from Asia thousands of years ago.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2011 at 12:59
Those are actually God Masks of Chac. A rain-god deity that is often portrayed by the Maya.

unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2011 at 13:06
I like the Old Horny God. Several of these have been found, the woman is a Moon Goddess.

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2011 at 13:37
Originally posted by unclefred

Those are actually God Masks of Chac. A rain-god deity that is often portrayed by the Maya.

That was very interesting, unclefred. What do you think of this I've just found talking of the masks?
Mayanist Falken Forshaw reports that "What used to be called Chac masks are now thought to be "witz" or mountain deities that inhabit mountains, especially those at the midpoints of the cosmic square. Thus these masks bestow a quality of "mountain" to the building."

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 18-Sep-2011 at 13:39
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2011 at 15:32
there is a documantry movie of national geographic which is about atlantis (I am not sure but the name of movie is "atlantis:is it real?"). In that,  question is where can be atlantis (malta, santorini, maya... they are looking many places to find it). according to sources elephants had lived in atlantis so one searching place is these elephant figures.  some people called them elephant but then some scientists was talking about other options.

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2011 at 19:19
As Chac is associated with mountains, perhaps the Mayans discovered the frozen carcass of a mammoth? These are still found today in Siberia
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2011 at 02:01
Originally posted by Nick1986

As Chac is associated with mountains, perhaps the Mayans discovered the frozen carcass of Wa mammoth? These are still found today in Siberia
Well, ice is pretty scarce in the Yucatan. LOL
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2011 at 05:55
yes i have found the name of documantry: Atlantis "is it real?"

http://www.fullizle.org/atlantis-gercekmi-belgeseli-full-izle.fullindirizle.html (TURKİSH)

at 45.22 second, there is a short explaination about them.
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2011 at 17:36
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Looking a little closer I thought I noted ape like features. Though this doesn't mean it's impossible people in the Americas might have no had knowledge handed onto them from the time their people migrated from Asia thousands of years ago.

I think this is a very real possibility. Australian Aborigenes have demonstrated phenomenal ancesteral memory.  For example,some tribes have retained place names and myths concerning land formations (islands, river courses etc) that have not existed for 7,000 years or even longer.

In addition, think about the "wild man" legends.  Though bigfoot is science fiction (at least in my opinion), the science fact is that modern humans have shared the planet with Neandertals, the "hobbits" of Flores island, and also probably with Homo Erectus variants. The hobbits existed until 13,000 years ago.  My guess is that the global "wild man" legands are based on ancesteral memories of these creatures or people.     

Edited by Cryptic - 19-Sep-2011 at 17:38
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2011 at 19:39
Interesting theory. Legends of wildmen exist from the Scottish Highlands to Tibet. Did homo erectus coexist with modern humans?
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2011 at 13:56

Interesting theory. Legends of wildmen exist from the Scottish Highlands to Tibet. Did homo erectus coexist with modern humans?

Big foot?

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2011 at 19:19

I dont have much information, but I think recent discoveries in Georgia (Caucuses, not USA), Africa and Indonesia are saying "yes" for the co existance of Homo Erectus and modern humans.  With Homo Erectus, however, this co existance was briefer than Neandertals and "hobbits".   In the end, modern humans probably had at least three species to base "wild man" legends on (Homo rectus, Neandertal and "Hobbits"). 

Even more interesting is that the wildness of the "wildmen" could vary as Neandertals are now seen by some anthropologists as being about 85% Homo Sapien in regards to intelligence with Homo Erectus far lower.   That might explain why some legends show the wildmen as almost human and others show them as far more animal like.

Edited by Cryptic - 20-Sep-2011 at 19:27
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2011 at 23:05
don't forget Italians.
 Post Reply Post Reply