Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I know what happened to the Hittites

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
djd93306 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote djd93306 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I know what happened to the Hittites
    Posted: 24-Aug-2011 at 04:39
I see that most people still wonder where the Hittites disapeared to. I have the answer to that.
The Hittites moved their capital to Babylon and eventually became Babylon the great, or the Babylonian Empire. Later to become the Persian Empire around the time of Cyrus.
I am pretty surprised that this isnt more widely known since this is all in the Bible.
You can look at the writing styles as well as the fashion styles from Babylon and see the strikng similarities with their predicecors from the Hattusha times.
Jarns View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Jarns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 14:12
 Two things:

1. It seems unlikely that the Hittites 'became' the Babylonians as the Hittites and the Babylonians had a concurrent existence. The Hittites were a distinct, independent culture from the 18th Century BCE to the 14th Century BCE, while the Babylonians are mentioned (or their forerunners, at the very least) in a tablet that was made during the reign of Sargon of Akkad.

2. The Hittites plundered Babylon in about the 15th Century BCE.

As to what actually happened to the Hittites, they did not flourish in the wars of that time period. The population was pulled apart by warring kingdoms, civil wars, etc. and eventually came under complete political and social ethnic domination by the Assyrians. Linguistic evidence points to the idea that the Hittite language continued to evolve during this period, and doesn't stop evolving until about the 6th or 5th Century BCE.
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 15:52
Originally posted by djd93306

I see that most people still wonder where the Hittites disapeared to. I have the answer to that.
The Hittites moved their capital to Babylon and eventually became Babylon the great, or the Babylonian Empire. Later to become the Persian Empire around the time of Cyrus.
I am pretty surprised that this isnt more widely known since this is all in the Bible.
You can look at the writing styles as well as the fashion styles from Babylon and see the strikng similarities with their predicecors from the Hattusha times.
Oh...wow.
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 20:26
To add to all this, Babylonians are mentioned to have been of Amorite origin and thus could not have possibly been Hittites. This is of course disregarding the obvious absurdity of claiming that hittites just suddenly uprooted themselves and went to babylon!
Timidi mater non flet
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2011 at 03:47
Also the story that had killed in group suicidal act did not explain their existence?Red haired people we have
today in Iran,Scandinavian area...etc..etc..they had entered assailants program cause of what then?This had been first known massive scale migration without elementary event behind:flood,eruption,earthquake,
disease etc...
 Post Reply Post Reply