Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do you like flowers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you like flowers?
    Posted: 13-Jul-2015 at 05:10
Originally posted by LeopoldPhilippe

For a few years I have planted tulip bulbs.     
How much sun should tulips get? Most tulips need quite a bit of sun.             

Elise is a Greigii Tulip. It is creamy-yellow with yellow and pink tints.

http://www.garden.org/plantguide/?q=show&id=2067
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

LeopoldPhilippe View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2015 at 20:30
It is said that Josephine, Empress of the French, the first wife of Napoleon Bonaparte, paid 4,000 francs for a tulip bulb.
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2015 at 20:41
Roses generally prefer full sun, so the spot you plant them in should receive an average of at least six hours of sun per day.      
A spot that receives early morning sun from the east is generally better than one that gets hot afternoon sun from the west.
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2015 at 20:31
For a few years I have planted tulip bulbs.     
How much sun should tulips get? Most tulips need quite a bit of sun.             

Elise is a Greigii Tulip. It is creamy-yellow with yellow and pink tints.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2012 at 22:19
This is a flower I love to see over the winter period. 

Prunus subhirtella ‘Autumnalis’

Winter flowering cherry tree

Prunus subhirtella ‘Autumnalis’
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Marey View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Marey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2011 at 01:55
Thanks for welcoming me! ))) Love the flowers! 
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2011 at 08:18
Nice touch.

S. T. Friedman

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2011 at 07:14
Originally posted by Marey

I like flowers, but only when someone gives me them )))

There you are, flowers for a new member who likes to be presented with flowers.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 08-Sep-2011 at 07:18
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Marey View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Marey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2011 at 07:04
I like flowers, but only when someone gives me them )))
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2011 at 04:09
I'll try that with new seeds :)
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2011 at 10:38
Another trick is to freeze the seed overnight.  Bring the seed out to the warm air for 12 hours, then plant.  The change causes condensation to build in the seed.  It will split open slightly.  This works well for most seeds.  Lettuce esp.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2011 at 07:45
Originally posted by erkut

Well i've seeded pasiflora incarnata just a week ago. Still waiting for them to grow, bu there is nothing yet Ermm I am wondering if i did something wrong, because it suppose to be sprout now, wright? 

I know they can be a little difficult at times, but they should grow in the end. Taking a look elsewhere I did find this said about them which might be of some use to you:

"passion flowers can be funny concerning germination. I have had fresh seed germinate in a week, I've also had seed take 6 months to germinate. Your planting set-up sounds good, you might want to scratch the seed with a nail-file (just enough to encourage water to more easily absorb into the seed) and soak the seed overnight after scratching."
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2011 at 07:19
Well i've seeded pasiflora incarnata just a week ago. Still waiting for them to grow, bu there is nothing yet Ermm I am wondering if i did something wrong, because it suppose to be sprout now, wright? 
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2011 at 10:39
Flowers have a tenacity that often surprises.  Our son was attached to the 2nd Brig. 3rd ACR during  the Iraqi war.  He tells of being in the column and looking forward saw that the column had stopped and was circling a small area.  When he finally got to this spot everyone was staring at a pile of tires probably left from Gulf one.  This was the highest feature for miles.  Growing out of one of the tires was a single white flower.  It was the sight of this flower that had slowed down the entire advance.  It was the only green living thing they had seen for days.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2011 at 10:35
Originally posted by Karalem

Flowers are like souvenirs, but they kind of lack the vigor and smell and usefulness of swathes of grass. I hate ornaments, they clatter the place.

The best type of grass

Edited by Nick1986 - 26-Aug-2011 at 10:35
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2011 at 10:25
Originally posted by Karalem

Flowers are like souvenirs, but they kind of lack the vigor and smell and usefulness of swathes of grass. I hate ornaments, they clatter the place.

Grass is great, unless your the poor slob that has to go out and mow it every 7-10 days.  People don't realize how intensive the maintenance on grass can be.
Flowers on the oh, can be relatively maintanence free if the right plant is chosen.

Unknown.
Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Karalem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 18:44

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 18:11
I do.

Hard for some of you.. that an old war dog who has been profane and active in the demise of enemies of his country and yet righteous in thinking from a philosophical viewpoint, as he see's it, to believe?

Suppose so.

But flowers..even weeds that flower...remind me of the humanity of the world, if not necessarily demonstrated by humanity.

I have many favorites...wild mountain flowers..desert cactus roses...Japanese tea roses were a favorite of my deceased fiancee. I like the smell of violets and even dandelions..jasmine and orange blossoms. They stir memories of times long gone and some yet to come, as I stand in an upper pasture watching the sun slink into the west behind the Archuleta.

They do something for me that is hard to explain. So I won't even  bother. Somethings, at least for me, are better unsaid.

Do you like flowers?

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply