Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A world without alcohol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A world without alcohol
    Posted: 18-Aug-2011 at 20:53
In this alternative history alcoholic beverages do not exist. While we remain on the same technological-level existing alcohol is uses solely for industrial and scientific purposes. Would the world be a better or worse place? What would people consume instead of alcohol? And what sort of society would we live in?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2011 at 01:16
Either Ganja would be the common replacement, or we wouldn't have reached this tech level, we'd still be in a dark ages without alcohol.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2011 at 14:47
I agree in spirit. No pun intended and would immediately revolt and begin bootleg operations once I had stolen the formula from science.

The world is simply not a civilized place without wine, cognac and beer.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2011 at 20:11
Originally posted by Toltec

Either Ganja would be the common replacement, or we wouldn't have reached this tech level, we'd still be in a dark ages without alcohol.

I've heard the theory that without the need for beer, we wouldn't have propagated wheat and barley throughout the world during the Neolithic. That may be a reason for the plant's spread but one can't say that alcohol was the only way it could have happened.
Timidi mater non flet
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2011 at 00:17
So beer led to bread not visa versa, interesting.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2011 at 01:45
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2011 at 10:49
There is also a legend that the reason the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth was to make beer.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Chookie View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Chookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2011 at 17:09
World without alcohol? No thanks, I'm gonna emigrate.....
For money you did what guns could not do.........
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2011 at 17:26
Spoken like a true Scotsman
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2011 at 21:48
The world would probably be a miserable, but safer, place. On the one hand it would be full of grouchy, stressed-out people, but on the other there would be fewer drunken brawls and accidents
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 05:24
I beg to differ, I never drink and I'm almost never stressed-out. But yeah, apply to every person on this planet and I guess you might be right. But what do you think would then be the most favourite 'chill-out' drink? Tea, coffee or maybe even opium tea? LOL
Timidi mater non flet
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 05:34
I am not in alcohol fun club also but here use proverb:It is useless life without bottle of brandy and other man's wife!Big smile 
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 06:23
Originally posted by Nick1986

In this alternative history alcoholic beverages do not exist. While we remain on the same technological-level existing alcohol is uses solely for industrial and scientific purposes. Would the world be a better or worse place? What would people consume instead of alcohol? And what sort of society would we live in?

Baccus will punish you for your words Big smile

In that world, people use more drugs than this one.
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 10:40
I believe that beer was invented right about the same time as BBQ.  Big smile Probably by the same folks.

Some of the oldest sites from Celtic and pre Celtic Ireland have been identified as brew houses.  Beer wasn't a recreational bev. back then, it was a dietary supplement.  About 40% of their daily nutrition came from "beer".  

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2011 at 20:57
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

I beg to differ, I never drink and I'm almost never stressed-out. But yeah, apply to every person on this planet and I guess you might be right. But what do you think would then be the most favourite 'chill-out' drink? Tea, coffee or maybe even opium tea? LOL

A glass of moloko-plus before a night of the old ultraviolence? It's real horrorshow brother
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2011 at 04:03
Without Alcohol in the west a huge number of the people would have been dead. Water supply has been so poor in the past alcohol has been used as a safer alternative. In the east they had tea.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2011 at 20:20
Life is too painful, and people need painkiller from time to time so they numb themselves so they don't they blow their brains off; hence different ways for numbing had been invented. If there was no alcohol, there would be more drugs. Otherwise I have a personal grudge against alcohol, because my father and step-father were both alcoholics, and I know how painful is to watch someone you love so killing themselves slowly day by day until they turn into something very different from the original person. No matter how strong my grudge though, I understand that people need anastethic from time to time.

As for the vine and so weak alcohol, I agree with the Dragon - drinking water was not safe in most places before like 20 the century, and wine and beer were used as drink more that water; also vinegar was added to water in Rome at least, in order to disinfect water, and one cannot get vinegar without wine. Hildergard Von Bingen, a saint as she was, in her medicinal works mentions that water makes one weak, so one is to avoid it an imbibe more wine. Also distilled alcohol is heavily used in medicine, so humanity cannot do without it.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2011 at 21:24
Perhaps wars would be fought over tea rather than oil? It has been drunk in China long before the birth of Christ
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2013 at 17:57
I resurrect this thread since I feel that the late great AlaniDragon. as well as the DON, hit it on the head with their responses.

Indeed, alcohol made it possible to drink copious amounts of water with the need to first boil it. One must remember that many accounts of war mention the need to poison or destroy the fresh water supplies of ones enemy.

Beer and wine offered a very safe alternative to water that might well be deadly.

As regards Tea, it requires water to be boiled. Sorry Nick 1986.

Regards to all.
Ron
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2013 at 00:02
...but in same time alcohol is renewable bio fuel,ecological safe.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>