Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Viking Berserkers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viking Berserkers
    Posted: 17-Aug-2011 at 11:36

The biggest, meanest and toughest Vikings, Berserkers like Egil Skalagrimsson were widely-feared. They wore no armor in battle, only animal skins, and worked themselves into a rage by biting their shields. There are many theories on where the berserkers' ferocity came from. Were they mere psychopaths or did they take drugs to improve their performance?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2011 at 22:47
Tough one... no clear evidence. Altho theories abound from the use of psychoactives in the form of mushrooms or opiates mixed with alcohol...to ritualistic dances, chants and singing inducing hysteria.
Chances are whatever it was.. to see one charging with ax and or sword and shield was no fun.

Reminds me of the legendary Moro warriors of the PI during the Insurrection..alleged to have chewed betel nut to hype up their ferocity. That's another topic however.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 18-Aug-2011 at 16:32
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2011 at 13:42
I can only repeat my post from the berserker discussion 5 years ago:

I dont belive in Bersekers or rather i should say that i dont belive that they were somthing special or exceptional.

During the history of wars always were and always will be people who in combat gets mad. You can find such in every army and on every war.
Adrenaline and fear make people doing strange things.
Discipline was always one of those things which was supposed to help against such reactions like running toward enemy without thinking. Professional sioldier always should know what he is doing and stay cold even when kill. Today and 2000 years ago in times of Roman legions or earlier in Sparta. Those who get mad in combat are fools, not profesionals.

Thats all about berserkers. Nothing to discuss.

However CV as ex profesional soldier should be able to say somthing more about it - I mean about the role of discipline in the combat and in army.

But one thing I must add. In the 10th century to Poland were coming scandinavian mercenaries and especially important become one noble scandinavian familly (Audun-Awdaniec). They recived land in Poland and that familly played important role for over 200 years. Together with that familly came also other less noble and less important scandinavians with famillies. They all were polonised in short time but the name of villages and towns where they settled are interesting concerning this topic. I mean names like Besiekierza, Besiekiery which come from the scandinavian word "berserkir" .

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2011 at 16:53
Without doubt training and discipline remain a primary key to successful operations (there are others as well). 

Couple this with experience and confident and competent leadership in and at all ranks... Basic and proven doctrine in tactics, strategy and logistics....and the chances remain fairly good that a force, in operation, will retain it's motivation and execute it's mission with a far greater chance of success then it's poorly led or trained opponents.

As to their existence as it has been historically defined?

Nick has already given one individual example.

But I would agree that they were not solely ascribed merely to the Norse... or for that matter that they were unique... as Mosquito states. Although that representation is far more defined with the Norse and the Celts (Irish) perhaps.

Consequently one might profess that long before the time of the Vikings; the great Marius probably met some near Aquae Sextiae...and one might even go so far as to say the entire nation of Huns might lay claim to the title.

For as late as the mid 20th ce... the Japanese Banzai charges, of WW2 fame for example, might also be construed as a form or type of berserker rage.

Depends on definition and context.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2011 at 19:34
Berserkers may have been used to spearhead a charge: an elite squad who would clear a path for the rest of the army. At Stamford Bridge one axeman held off the entire Saxon army singlehanded

Edited by Nick1986 - 18-Aug-2011 at 19:34
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2011 at 09:23
Originally posted by Nick1986

Berserkers may have been used to spearhead a charge: an elite squad who would clear a path for the rest of the army. At Stamford Bridge one axeman held off the entire Saxon army singlehanded

yeah, until they hit him you know where ;)
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2011 at 21:29
According to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle this Viking was a giant who slew 40 warriors. However, he wasn't the only berserker at Stamford Bridge: Hardraada himself was filled with rage and belabored the English shield wall with his axe until he was struck down by an arrow
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2011 at 21:27

According to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle this Viking was a giant who slew 40 warriors. However, he wasn't the only berserker at Stamford Bridge: Hardraada himself was filled with rage and belabored the English shield wall with his axe until he was struck down by an arrow

He was big and he was staying on the small bridge and so far I did understood, the bridge was narrow and he did fight only against 1 man after another but not with many in the same time. But maybe Im wrong.
shokdee View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Quote shokdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 06:20

or did they take drugs to improve their performance?

Nah, I strongly doubt it. I have tried most of the natural hallucinogens, intoxicants, psychedelics, and entheogens. None would lead to or support this kind of action.

(You can check my credentials online, by searching for "paul.rossouw@digitec.co.za" or watch Sacred Weeds: Henbane)
Monkey see monkey do be doobie do
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 19:07
Cannabis and shrooms make you more relaxed, but what about the harder drugs? Perhaps the Vikings brought back something from Vinland like cocaine?
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 20:25

Cannabis and shrooms make you more relaxed, but what about the harder drugs? Perhaps the Vikings brought back something from Vinland like cocaine?
They were not in that part of Vinland where coca leafs grow :)
shokdee View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Quote shokdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 22:28
- shrooms make you more relaxed
You should up the dose sometime, try a "heroic dose" for crap-in-the-pants excitement.

- but what about the harder drugs
Don't confuse media propaganda with reality. "Hard" drugs are mostly OPIATES.

The only drug the Beserkers had access to was Amanita muscaria.
If you wander around the parks of London, under the pine trees, you can collect all you want and go home and try it yourself.  I can assure you, having tried it many times, Amanita is an intoxicant. (There's an interesting side story about Amanita and consumption of urine (human or reindeer) for anyone wanting to investigate more).

I have tried most of the natural hallucinogens, intoxicants, psychedelics, entheogens, deliriants, opiates, relaxants, you name it. Any plant, herb or fungi mentioned in the ethnographic literature, I tracked down and tried.

This is a red herring  they did not use drugs!
=================================

HOWEVER ...

In my experience, the tropane alkaloids - scopolamine, hyoscyamine, and atropine - are EXTREMELY POWERFUL and one of the few TRUE HALLUCINOGENS. I could a write a great deal about the unique properties, the quality of the experience, but for now, you can read this.

Hee hee hee reading that link brings back memories, My God!
"I'll give an example of a typical Datura trip (stage 2)" Oh yeah? What happened in Stage 1?  LOL
"I'm propped up in bed" Oh yeah? A hospital bed  LOL,  machines all around me going beep beep beep!

The evening began with me consuming a potion I had concocted, based on a recipe from "Natural Magick" called "To maketh one mad". My admission, overnight stay and discharge from hospital was just a small sideshow. The beautiful infinity book experience lasted about 2 seconds from a 2 day tripLOL

Or watch the Sacred weeds- Henbane vdo I mentioned above, not for what happens (nothing!), but for what I say about witches.

SO, if there was good evidence they had access to scoploamine, hyoscyamine or atropine, then I would be very interested.

Edited by shokdee - 21-Aug-2011 at 23:34
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 09:29
Originally posted by shokdee

or did they take drugs to improve their performance?

Nah, I strongly doubt it. I have tried most of the natural hallucinogens, intoxicants, psychedelics, and entheogens. None would lead to or support this kind of action.

(You can check my credentials online, by searching for "paul.rossouw@digitec.co.za" or watch Sacred Weeds: Henbane)

I agree.  Trance states could have accomplished the same effect.  The pre battle ceremonies for the group probably included drumming (perhaps at night or at sunrise), ritual preperation of weapons,  dressing, prayers, story telling etc.  The totality could easily induce trance states in willing participants.

Then factor in mob mentality and peer pressure: To be a member of the group, you had to go well.... "beserk" (even if you were not in a trance state).  Also, the antics of the more hard core members would incite other members to participate fully. 

Edited by Cryptic - 22-Aug-2011 at 09:33
shokdee View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Quote shokdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2011 at 12:41
Originally posted by Cryptic

you had to go well.... "beserk" (even if you were not in a trance state).  Also, the antics of the more hard core members would incite other members to participate fully. 

That is interesting. Got me thinking of Vietnam and some of the crazy shit that happened there. Brainwashing, drugs, carpet bombing, jungle warfare, GI f**k YOU, a nightmare.

One fresh way to look at Vietnam - are you ready? - is that it was primarily aimed at the folk back home.
Step1 JFK (blow his head off in public, scare the shit out of everyone)
Step2 Vietnam (folks at home get further screwed up watching it in colour on TV)
Lydon LaRouche has covered this ground in great detail.

Another discussion is bad apples? or bad apple barrels?
 Post Reply Post Reply