Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stockmen: the cowboys of the Outback

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stockmen: the cowboys of the Outback
    Posted: 12-Aug-2011 at 20:19
Our next Australian history topic will focus on the stockmen: mounted herdsmen who worked on a large property called a station: the Aussie equivalent of the ranch. Stockmen camped near the herd and would sleep around the fire wrapped in their blanket rolls. Like the American working cowboy, they faced many dangers: cattle thieves, venomous snakes and wild animals like the dingo, a beast every bit as cunning and vicious as the coyote
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2011 at 19:53

After a long day it was time to boil the billycan on the campfire. Note the bedroll on the log. Being the sons of English immigrants, it's likely the stockmen drank tea rather than the black coffee of the American cowboy
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2011 at 19:38
Stockmen also used a unique slang similar to that of the cowboys. A Jackaroo was the Aussie counterpart of the Old West Buckaroo: a trainee cowboy
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2011 at 20:18
Some decidedly tough lads given the terrain and the climate.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Lawnmowerman View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Suspended

Quote Lawnmowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2011 at 08:25
Deffinatly tea, no coffee at all.

During my exploration days i'd camp out quite regualry in my swag.

Had a couple of really cool experiences such as working with a member of the lost tribe (in an area where no white man had been before), with a guy who saw his first white man back in 1984, aged 25. He spoke very broken English and was informing us as to where the sacred sites where in the area.

When they wanted a billy (tea) they'd wander off into the bush and break a branch off a tree and place that in their billy (pot) to boil.

On-route to one sacred site (It was my job to record the co-ordinates on my GPS to prevent others going into the area) we saw some kangaroo's next thing I know we are bouncing through the bush at 60km/ph with one of the boys leaning out the window with his rifle trying to get a shot off.

We asked if we could go out on the salt lake near our camp, the boys said no, we asked if this was because it was a sacred site, the boys said no, evil spirits lived there and if we went onto the salt lake they would kill us.

So many memories of swag time, such as the time my boss pissed the drillers off and we had to break camp in the middle of the night, pack everything up and sneak off at 2am or face the very real threat of coping a beating. (my boss not me)

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2011 at 10:10
Excellent post Lawnmowerman. Hunting kangaroos from a moving car reminds me of that scene in the movie Australia. What sort of tree did they usually boil in the billycan?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2011 at 19:29
What sort of gun would the 19th century stockman typically carry? Would he have a sidearm like a Colt Navy or rely on a surplus military rifle like the Snider or Martini-Henry?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2011 at 19:27
Originally posted by Lawnmowerman

Deffinatly tea, no coffee at all.

During my exploration days i'd camp out quite regualry in my swag.

Had a couple of really cool experiences such as working with a member of the lost tribe (in an area where no white man had been before), with a guy who saw his first white man back in 1984, aged 25. He spoke very broken English and was informing us as to where the sacred sites where in the area.

When they wanted a billy (tea) they'd wander off into the bush and break a branch off a tree and place that in their billy (pot) to boil.

On-route to one sacred site (It was my job to record the co-ordinates on my GPS to prevent others going into the area) we saw some kangaroo's next thing I know we are bouncing through the bush at 60km/ph with one of the boys leaning out the window with his rifle trying to get a shot off.

We asked if we could go out on the salt lake near our camp, the boys said no, we asked if this was because it was a sacred site, the boys said no, evil spirits lived there and if we went onto the salt lake they would kill us.

So many memories of swag time, such as the time my boss pissed the drillers off and we had to break camp in the middle of the night, pack everything up and sneak off at 2am or face the very real threat of coping a beating. (my boss not me)

What happened to my Aussie mate Lawnmowerman? I'd like to hear more about life in the bush
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2012 at 19:16
The "Tatars of Australia" were very proud of their identity. The stockman despised "crawling shepherds" who worked on foot and would go an indefinite distance out of his way to kick one
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=VwgwAAAAMAAJ&dq=australian%20stockman&pg=PA25#v=onepage&q&f=false
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2012 at 19:22

A "stock whip," essential tool for the Aussie cowboy
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2012 at 19:21
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2012 at 08:07
Aussie stockman's hall of fame
http://www.outbackheritage.com.au/
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2014 at 12:54
Originally posted by Nick1986

What sort of gun would the 19th century stockman typically carry? Would he have a sidearm like a Colt Navy or rely on a surplus military rifle like the Snider or Martini-Henry?

Australian Stockmen cannot be compared to the US cowboys. They may have had access to a rifle or a shotgun, but that was about it, and that more for use in disposing of sick and injured stock rather than people. Just a bunch of hard working, beer drinking blokes.
 Post Reply Post Reply