Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

James the Shit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: James the Shit
    Posted: 11-Aug-2011 at 19:03

James II holds the record as one of Britain's most unpopular kings. The younger brother of Charles II, James attempted to restore Catholicism and rule without parliament. When he produced a Catholic heir he was overthrown. He fled to France while his Irish allies were massacred by William III's forces, earning James the unflattering nickname mentioned above
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2011 at 20:38
What do the modern Scots and Irish think of Seamus an Chaca? Was he as unpopular there as he was in England?
Chookie View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Chookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2011 at 15:47
Originally posted by Nick1986

What do the modern Scots and Irish think of Seamus an Chaca? Was he as unpopular there as he was in England?

Well, this modern Scot is a republican so I might be a little biased......

Incidentally Séamus an Chaca means James the Be-shitten.....

For money you did what guns could not do.........
Michael Collins View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian
Historum joker, suspended

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2011 at 18:35
Well ... he was given that name for a reason, to be sure. 
Is í labhairt a dteanga an moladh is mó is féidir linn a thabhairt dár namhaid.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2011 at 18:36
BTW, Chookie is teasing. It's Seamus an Chac. 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2011 at 19:32
Seems like he's viewed as a coward for leaving his men to die. Why does James have this bad reputation, and not Bonnie Prince Charlie who also fled to the continent after Culloden?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2011 at 09:49
Because he was a foppy looking, born again Catholic, Scots-English-French half breed king, who didn't give a damn about the Irish other then their fighting abilities had forgotten what happened to his old man and continued to ignore the  ongoing tide of rabid anti-Catholicism. 

Besides the Scots will never disown the Charlie...when it comes to a line of eventually fat Germans as overlords.

Drink anybody?
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2011 at 11:39
Here here!!  Big smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2011 at 12:25
James is my given name.  And being the eldest of 3, the others being sisters, I have been called  James the shit  on any number of occasions.Big smile  My question is, when did the term shit, come in to general use?  I wasn't aware it was this early.

Edited by red clay - 17-Sep-2011 at 12:28
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2011 at 16:29
After the Battle of the Boyne, I believe. 
Chookie View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Chookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2011 at 17:19
Originally posted by Michael Collins

BTW, Chookie is teasing. It's Seamus an Chac. 

Not here, it's Seamus an Cachd.
Chookie View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Chookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2011 at 17:24
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Because he was a foppy looking, born again Catholic, Scots-English-French half breed king, who didn't give a damn about the Irish other then their fighting abilities had forgotten what happened to his old man and continued to ignore the  ongoing tide of rabid anti-Catholicism. 

Besides the Scots will never disown the Charlie...when it comes to a line of eventually fat Germans as overlords.

Charlie, or as I have referred to him elsewhere,Kid Shortbried, was only about one-eigth Scots. He also didn't give a monkeys about the men he used, abused and abandoned.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2011 at 19:04
Originally posted by Michael Collins

After the Battle of the Boyne, I believe. 

The word "shit" itself was definitely in use during the Tudor period, and possibly earlier
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2011 at 20:01
Originally posted by Cookie

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Because he was a foggy looking, born again Catholic, Scots-English-French half breed king, who didn't give a damn about the Irish other then their fighting abilities had forgotten what happened to his old man and continued to ignore the  ongoing tide of rabid anti-Catholicism. 

Charlie, or as I have referred to him elsewhere,Kid Shortbread, was only about one-eighth Scots. He also didn't give a monkeys about the men he used, abused and abandoned.

A practical and inconvenient truth but does little harm to Charlie's overall natural or created legacy Chookie.

The last time anybody beyond a generation 2-4xer (read born after 1975) in Scotland gave a dose of the claps for an English King/royalty would be hard to substantiate, if one is led to believe in the standard rhetoric. Diana and the Princes aside...it is simply not the nature that is portrayed.

So as I note Charlie is safe in the pantheon of defeated Jacobin hero's.Wink

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 17-Sep-2011 at 20:05
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2011 at 19:15
I can understand why many modern Scots are republican. Charlie allowed his line to die out by having kids with every woman except his wife. His brother never married because, being a Catholic bishop, he preferred boys
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2011 at 12:32

Originally posted by Nick1986

I can understand why many modern Scots are republican. Charlie allowed his line to die out by having kids with every woman except his wife. His brother never married because, being a Catholic bishop, he preferred boys

Preposterous comment Nick, reflects very badly on yourself and the administration, not to mention the site as a whole, when moderators make comments like that. 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2011 at 13:37
I didn't mean to offend you General. However, Henry Benedict Stuart did have a very close relationship with his underling Lercari, apparently sharing the same room like his great-great-grandfather and the Duke of Buckingham.

Henry Benedict Stuart

Edited by Nick1986 - 19-Sep-2011 at 15:36
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2011 at 16:34
Arra, that's not the point and you know it. Your implication is offensive at best and sectarian at worst.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2011 at 17:34
It wasn't my intention to offend. You know my posting style: i often use humor and deliberately controversial statements to provoke interesting discussion (see my topic on Boer concentration camps). If i'm wrong the task falls to more knowledgeable members to correct me
 Post Reply Post Reply