Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Czechs resist Nazi invasion, 1938

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Czechs resist Nazi invasion, 1938
    Posted: 01-Aug-2011 at 19:15
Refusing to accept the cowardly proposal by the British and French to appease Hitler, the Czechs declare war on Germany. In the first battle the invading Nazis are forced to retreat from the industrialised Sudetenland. They have underestimated the Czechs whose Panzer 38s, ZH-29 assault rifles and Skoda artillery outmatch the German tanks.
What happens next?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2011 at 21:55
Originally posted by Nick1986

Refusing to accept the cowardly proposal by the British and French to appease Hitler, the Czechs declare war on Germany. In the first battle the invading Nazis are forced to retreat from the industrialised Sudetenland. They have underestimated the Czechs whose Panzer 38s, ZH-29 assault rifles and Skoda artillery outmatch the German tanks.
What happens next?

I think they could have win. Sudetenland was well fortiefied and mountain land, easy to defend. I think that if they allied with Poland Germany would have rather low chances for victory. However such alliance was impossible since in 1920 when Poland was fighting for life against Soviet Union the Czechs occupied by force small piece of land on the Polish-Czech border, refused also to let Hungarians sent 30.000 cavalry to Poland and finally refused even for transport of Hungarian arms to Poland. Also Hungarians were not happy with the lost of Slovakia after WW1 and were rather hostile to Czechoslovak state.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2011 at 22:13
Originally posted by Nick1986

In the first battle the invading Nazis are forced to retreat from the industrialised Sudetenland.

Maybe....

- Surprise Czech counter attack pushes the Germans back

-Though the Czechs have excellent weapons, they do not use them in combined arms teams.  The better orgainized and better trained Germans steadily get the upper hand, even when facing superior weapons.

Then things get ugly....

- Czech military authorities lose control over second echelon militias securing the Sudentland.  Czech militias kill thousands of ethnic Germans "traitors".  The Czechs claim that most of the dead really are guerillas and fifth columnists.  The Germans claim they are simply local ethnic Germans.  The truth is probably some where in between.

-Slovakian reserve units refuse to serve outside of Slovakia. 

-Poland occupies all Polish speaking areas in what is today the Czech Republic.  Claims that the occupation is needed to protect Polish civilians and points out that Czech militants expelled 20,000 Poles in 1919.

The end....

-Large scale inter ethnic riots break out in Prague.  Advancing German units murder thousands of Czech civilians after receiving permission to shoot "bandits" at will.  The intensity of the killings worsens as German units outside of Prague receive exaggerated reports of atrocities against Germans.

-Prague is encircled and taken. Some German units go on rampages.  Thousands of civilians die.

-In the end, the west is not coming to help the Czechs. The out numbered czechs are forced to stand alone and they colllapse. 

Edited by Cryptic - 02-Aug-2011 at 10:23
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2011 at 08:32
Originally posted by Cryptic

Poland occupies all Polish speaking areas in what is today the Czech Republic.  Claims that the occupation is needed to protect Polish civilians and points out that Czech militants expelled 20,000 Poles in 1919.

But it would have rather no influence on the outcome of war, because it was really really very little piece of land and far from the combat area.

However Czechoslovakians should blame their own goverment for situation of their state, which all around had only hostile neighbours. It was even worse than Poland because Poland still had very friendly neutral Hungarians and neutral-friendly Romanians.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2011 at 10:51
Originally posted by Mosquito

However Czechoslovakians should blame their own goverment for situation of their state, which all around had only hostile neighbours. It was even worse than Poland because Poland still had very friendly neutral Hungarians and neutral-friendly Romanians.
The Czechs also had lot of interal hostility or apathy as well.  Not only was Slovakia a reluctant part of "Chechoslovakia", but even the Czech area was divided into Bohemia and Moravia.  Though most Moravians today indentify as "Czech", that may not have been the case in 1938.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2011 at 20:26
Even if the Nazis won, their losses may have deterred them from doing a similar thing to Poland. Perhaps the Czechs' last stand would send a message to their neighbors that the Nazis weren't invincible
Pittsbrg View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Pittsbrg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2011 at 12:48
The Czechs could never have won, but their brave resistance could only have changed history for the better. The allies were not ready yet is why they sold out the Czechs. The only outcomes I can see would be better than what did happen, (140 million deaths). In the end the Czechs suffered perhaps more with what did happen. Brutal tyranny must be resisted.
Poland had no mountainess barriers to stop Blitzkrieg. The Czechs had fortifications already in place there. They could have bled the Germans and made them pay dearly for the victory. Blitzkrieg
type warfare requires open ground. It is no coincidence that no pne has even attempted to invade Switzerland for cenuries.
Hubris, in the end, causes the downfall of all civilizations.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2011 at 19:25
Would it have prevented or delayed WW2 as the heavy losses demoralised the Nazis and forced them to rethink their strategy?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2011 at 20:48
Perhaps the Czechs would recruit foreign volunteers similar to the International Brigades? A lot of veterans from the defeated Spanish Republican army would have been eager to settle old scores with the Nazis
 Post Reply Post Reply