Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pyrrhus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Molossos View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Molossos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pyrrhus
    Posted: 07-May-2005 at 12:50

I don't care at all about your postings since you can't provide any counter arguments to my sources that prove that Epirotes were Greek. What does hellenized mean by the way? It is well known that both Macedonians and Epirotes spoke northwestern Greek dialects, as it is obvious by inscriptions and other texts. If they had been hellenized lingually they would use dialects and types of southern Greeks. However, both of them had their own distinctive ways of speech as we have found out.

The fact that you consider Epirus to be an Illyrian land proves your expansionist dreams to lower south. If you want my homeland, come and get it (although I doubt it).

Edited by Molossos
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2005 at 15:15

Originally posted by vulkan02

Propaganda? there is not a nation in the whole of Europe thats involved in that more than Greece. Greece is the only country as far as i know that does not recognize any other nationalities other than its own in its soil. 

Out of curiosity mostly, i looked upon an albanian history forum. The result was more than ludicrus. Your friends there seemed to agree that :

1. Alexander the great was Albanian.

2. The first president of Greece was George Kondouriti ( I supposed they meant Koundouriotis ) from Hydra and...he was an Albanian too 

3. Mohammed Ali, the king of Egypt was Albanian

4. The first prime minister of Italy, Fancesco Crespi, was an Albanian

5. Thracians were also Albanians

I decided not to waste more my time by reading somewhere in the following posts that...George Washinton was from Albanian stock but man first take a look at your own people's pitiful illusions and later come in front to talk about propaganda.

Ah for the sake of it, here is the topic i read.

http://www.forumi.zeriyt.com/index.php/topic,6501.new.html

Enjoy the good laugh!!!

TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2005 at 15:24
Nobody Albanian believes that crap. NOBODY!!!
It embarrasses that nationalists put up that crap. It really does.
But about Mehmed Ali. Wasnt he born in Kavaje?

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2005 at 15:28

Originally posted by vulkan02

Phyrrus fought Aetolian Greeks

Is this an argument? Everyone has fought Aetolian Greeks, in fact there's not one Greek that hasn't fought against another one, at some point in his life, that's what brought them down in the end.

Jesus I can't believe you're turning this again in some short of moronic argument of the short "Epirotes/Cretans/Macedonians/Athenians (yes I've heard the last too!) were not Greek"!

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Nikas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Nikas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2005 at 19:30

Pyrrhos enjoyed an excellent reputation for tactics and generalship in ancient times and allegedly authored a tactical manual. In fact, many ancient thought Pyrrhos the greatest tactician:

"Prokles of Carthage gave higher marks for good luck and glittering successes to Philip's son Alexander, but for infantry and cavalry tactics and for inventive generalship he reckoned Pyrrhos was the better man"

-Pausanias 

Pyrrhos came very close to creating a western based empire similar to Alexander's eastern one, and this against tougher opponents. If he were not 'a fool of hope' history could have been much different.

Edited by Nikas
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2005 at 03:29

This topic is about king Pyrrhus. If you're interested in talking about him, fine. Otherwise all irrelevant, insulting, childish posts will be deleted by myself.

Continue to post in that manner and I'll move for your ban! I hope I'm clear on that

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 07:31

The Life of Pyrrhus

He was raised in Illyria by king Glaucus and he had an Illyrian wife and a son

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Plutarch/L ives/Pyrrhus*.html#2

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 10:37
Gjergj_Arianiti

Illyrian wife????
Now this is new, you did give the link but the question is have you read the text or did you understand what you read if you did??

From the link you gave, end of section 4:

" he was selected from among many young princes as a husband for Antigone, one of the daughters of Berenicé, whom she had by PhilipLink to the author's or editor's note at the bottom of this page before her marriage with Ptolemy."

Now, who was Berenice?
She was grandaughter of Kassandros, a Makedonian king, older sister of Cleopatra, daughter of Ptolemy Philaldelphos (no need to 'analyze' this one) and Arsinoe (daughter of Lysimachos (Makedonian king of Thrace) and Nicaia (daughter of Antipater and sister of Kassandros) ...............etc.

By now you obviously get the point, she was Makedonian not Illyrian.
It's plain logic that this also makes her daughter Antigone (Pyrrhus' wife), Makedonian not Illyrian since both her mother Berenice and her father Philip (most probably a Makedonian officer in Alexander's army) were Makedones.

Next time try reading  the sources before jumping to conclussions.

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 10:54

Dude I know you can't believe this but is written by Plutarch!

Or you can read the whole part, not just the 1st paragraph try to have more patience!

9In order to enlarge his interests and power he married several wives after the death of Antigone. He took to wife, namely, a daughter of Autoleon, king of the Paeonians; Bircenna, the daughter of Bardyllis the Illyrian; and Lanassa, the daughter of Agathocles of Syracuse, who brought him as her dowry the city of Corcyra, which had been captured by Agathocles. By Antigone he had a son Ptolemy, Alexander by Lanassa, and Helenus, his youngest son, by Bircenna. section 2He brought them all up to be brave in arms and fiery, and he whetted them for this from their very birth.

Edited by Gjergj_Arianiti
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 15:52
Well 'dude', I know what Plutarch wrote, I just assumed that you knew that Bardylis was a Dardanian in origin.
The Dardani, based on archeologic finds and texts were a mixture of Illyrians and Thracians, even though some 'modern' historians consider the possibility of a Celtic mixture.. (see NGL Hammond for more)

Edited by Phallanx
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 08:05
I've read that Pyrrhos was related to Alexander the Great, does anybody know in what way?
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 08:44

Originally posted by Julia

I've read that Pyrrhos was related to Alexander the Great, does anybody know in what way?

Pyrrhus was relative of Alexander the Great from Alexander's mother side Olympias.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 10:55
Originally posted by Aeolus

In the battle of Heraclea he defeated the Romans, primarily because of his war elephants and secondly due to his cavalry. There is a small story about this battle, Pyrrhus had arranged to change his clothes with one of his officers called Megacles. Romans while taking notice of the clothing of  Megacles, they targeted him and killed him. Romans, as well as Pyrrhus soldiers, believed for a while that Pyrrhus himself had died and  Pyrrhus had to ride with his horse, infront of his troops bareheaded to show that he still lived.
Didn't William the Conquerer have to take off his helmet at Hastings to prove that he was still alive to his troops?

okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2012 at 13:26
Anyone that is held off in one city by women children and old men, then killed in another city when a piss pot was dropped on his head...isn't all that spectacular. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12