Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slavic barns in 1000 AD?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Svantoretro View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Svantoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slavic barns in 1000 AD?
    Posted: 31-Jul-2011 at 19:23

Would the Slavs have kept livestock in wooden barns around 1000 A.D.?

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2011 at 19:41
Possibly. At that time the typical Slav house was a pit in the ground roofed over. Farmers would share their living quarters with their animals
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2011 at 20:47
Originally posted by Svantoretro

Of course, if wood and small trees were available and they were not blind and stupid. It was done for thousands of years, why would they be different than everyone else?

Livestock equaled money! Saving livestock meant the same as saving money.

Germans, and I suppose other Europeans (even today) sometimes keep some of their livestock under their homes, maybe it was the same then?

Even the baby Jesus was supposedly "laid in a manger", with the livestock, and it was also, reportedly kept under the homes even then!

I just report the obvious!

Try better or give me a reason to go further?

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 31-Jul-2011 at 21:00
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2011 at 00:33
Then report it civilly Ron...it was an honest and innocuous question and you have given some good info.

Ntl..this is a new member who deserves as much respect as one with 5 years on the board. He is not required to meet your criterion for assistance. For the truth of the matter is you don't have to render it.. commentary or opinion. And certainly not in a caustic fashion that alienates membership potential.

There is no excuse for rudeness. There is no need for statements such as this:

I just report the obvious!

Try better or give me a reason to go further?

All they do is cause disruption and act as a deterrent for future membership participation. Nor are all things obvious for everyone.. which is why the questions are posed.

Remember that.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 01-Aug-2011 at 00:37
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2011 at 21:41
Originally posted by Svantoretro

In the lack of time to give a much more detailed and widespread answer - of course, yes.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Svantoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2011 at 22:11
Weelllll....I s'pose yur right, 'n all.  But nobody had cell phones back then, so how could somebody halfway around the world ring up their Slavic buddy to say, "Yo, man, emailing you a pix of my NEW WOODEN BARN!WinkLOL  Ya gotta get one!Smile 

Edited by Svantoretro - 01-Aug-2011 at 22:21
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Svantoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2011 at 22:19
Hey, it's okay, Mod...Ron may just be having a terrible day.  A dude never wins these days by losing his cool, and any of us may be subject to being put in check for snapping off like that.  "Berserking" is so OUT.   But it still happens...except for the shield-biting thing. 
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Svantoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2011 at 22:26
Hmm...quite interesting, Nick.  So, basically a hole in the ground with boards across the top, eh?
How might the Slavs have retrieved their livestock, such as cattle and horses, from such a hole?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2011 at 08:17
The hole wouldn't have been very deep. A horse or cow could easily climb out when needed. To keep warm the Slavs had large ovens similar to the type used in Russia. This early form of central heating had a complex arrangement of pipes and was built to burn fuel for a long time

Development of the late medieval house in Hungary
Pots, Slavs and imagined communities
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2011 at 10:35
In Bamburg Ger.  There are examples of houses built approx. 900 AD that were excavated some years back.  All of them had animal quarters attached.

Svantoretro, Ron has a habit of stringing bad days into bad weeks and months.  I along with quite a few others have gotten very tired of this stuff.
I apologise for his conduct.  He just came off of a 30 day vacation,  I think he needs another one.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2011 at 18:51

Here's a reconstruction of a Slavic pit-house. On the right is a thatched barn
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2011 at 20:31
Thumbs Up

S. T. Friedman

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2011 at 15:49
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Thumbs Up

and this is a classic example of post made for raising post counter - as well as my comment hereNuke
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2011 at 16:46
Actually it's a classic example of sending out approval without the necessity for superfluous or addtional and unecessary comment. Been used on blog sites and forums for years.....perhaps you might worry about that.. before you consider trolling me again.

As yours above was just that.  And you have been around long enough to know where the hammer falls on trolls..as such no further warning is necessary...tho i'll give ya one anyway.

As my post count was neither in question nor germaine. And had neither bearing nor context to the op and thread.

You do it again and you will be on vacation.

Don't believe me? Do it and see.

Trust me.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 03-Aug-2011 at 16:53

S. T. Friedman

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2011 at 18:31
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Actually it's a classic example of sending out approval without the necessity for superfluous or addtional and unecessary comment. Been used on blog sites and forums for years.....perhaps you might worry about that.. before you consider trolling me again.

As yours above was just that.  And you have been around long enough to know where the hammer falls on trolls..as such no further warning is necessary...tho i'll give ya one anyway.

As my post count was neither in question nor germaine. And had neither bearing nor context to the op and thread.

You do it again and you will be on vacation.

Don't believe me? Do it and see.

Trust me.
Thumbs Up

Edited by Mosquito - 03-Aug-2011 at 18:34
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Reply Post Reply