Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Eureka Stockade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eureka Stockade
    Posted: 12-Jul-2011 at 19:53

The 1854 uprising at Eureka Stockade was the closest Australia got to a revolution. Unhappy with the government's unfair taxes and police brutality the gold miners of Ballarat raised the Southern Cross, used wood from their wagons to build a stockade, and battled the police and army. The ringleaders were captured and put on trial for treason but acquitted by the jury, unwilling to put them through the gruesome punishment of being hung, drawn and quartered.
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2011 at 12:37
Large crowds protested when the captured rebels were brought to Melbourne. They terrified the government into introducing universal male suffrage
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2011 at 17:12
Most interesting will do more lookie see on it.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2011 at 17:28
The Eureka Stockade, by Raffaello Carboni

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3546

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2011 at 12:19
If things went slightly differently (for example, if the government foolishly decided to hang the rebels) it could have become the Australian War of Independence
ultrakhmer View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ultrakhmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2011 at 15:52
This kind of sounds like the situation we are in at the moment. With the carbon tax and people unhappy at the govt.CryShocked haha

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your post-profile has been edited for an unauthorised spam link in your signature block. We encourage your participation and membership. However, a spam link is not allowed. Period. Therefore do not repost it. If you do, I will suspend your account and ban your Ip. Any non-spam link requires permission from the Adminstrator prior to posting. This is the only warning you will recieve. Please comply or you will suffer the consequences.

CV

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 28-Jul-2011 at 00:29
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2011 at 19:02
How would history have changed if Australia did gain independence? Perhaps they would ally with America and support other colonies seeking to break away from the empire? This could result in a federation of independent nations serving as a counterbalance to British imperialism, though more backward societies in Africa and Asia would probably remain in bondage
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2011 at 04:12
At the time? Doubtful. tech and log would have made it extremely difficult given the distance and maritime military strength of the Brits. The Americans were comming on via the naval race but lagged at that particular point.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2011 at 20:06
Would the Brits have been able to reconquer Australia? Its people were similar to the Boers and American colonials: tough stockmen, bushrangers, miners, hunters and farmers. They were accustomed to surviving in the bush and could have easily waged a guerrilla war against the Brits whose red wool uniforms made them ideal targets
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2011 at 08:16
Probably eventually.  Merely by controlling ports and road networks etc.. that effect communications, security and commerce.

But then again, as they fade into the outback it becomes problematic as to the degree ie. willingness.. of long term commitment and expenditure of effort.  Certainly in monies, personnel and logistics, shipping, naval presence etc. versus some other means of settlement.

Iow. typical response is give em enough to get rid of the majority of conflict and carry on expecting tea to be served at 2pm.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2011 at 19:18
Australia has a lot of gold and ore deposits. It's highly likely that they will one day replace the US as the dominant superpower. If they realised this in the 1850s we could have a very different world where everyone looks up to Aussie culture
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2011 at 19:44
Got no problem with Aussies increasing their prestige and influence. Essentially they remain the Asian Pacific version of Americans that never were.
Wink

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2011 at 19:44
They may yet be the Americans of the future if they ever vote for independence.
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2014 at 13:05
Originally posted by Nick1986

How would history have changed if Australia did gain independence? Perhaps they would ally with America and support other colonies seeking to break away from the empire? This could result in a federation of independent nations serving as a counterbalance to British imperialism, though more backward societies in Africa and Asia would probably remain in bondage

SIZE=2]Let's be quite clear about this, Australia is an independent nation, but chose to remain part of the British Empire, recognising the sovereign as Head of State. We became independent in 1901.
 Post Reply Post Reply