Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sutton Hoo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sutton Hoo
    Posted: 11-Jul-2011 at 21:09

In 1939 a Saxon ship-burial was discovered at Sutton Hoo, Suffolk. Among the treasures recovered was this iconic helmet similar in design to Vandal armor. The burial was attributed to Saxon king Redwald who ruled East Anglia until 624 AD and was one of the first converts to christianity
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2011 at 19:58

Vandal helmet with similar decoration
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2011 at 04:15
"this iconic helmet similar in design to Vandal armor"

On the other hand a visigoth armour seems similar in design to British.

The copy cats.......

Edited by Toltec - 13-Jul-2011 at 04:15
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2011 at 14:27
In a detached way it reminds me of Spartan. 

Both examples ntl very beautiful stuff.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 14-Jul-2011 at 14:27
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2011 at 00:21
Also looks similar to viking helmets.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2011 at 12:50
Because Vikings were descendents of the Vandals
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2011 at 16:25
Originally posted by Nick1986

Because Vikings were descendents of the Vandals

Nick, your words above may well be entirely correct. It does seem that most historians claim the area around Denmark, as their place of origin.
But, their real origins are mostly speculation.

http://www.thenagain.info/WebChron/WestEurope/Vandals.html

From the above site;

"The period between 406 and 572 saw the Germanic barbarians complete their migrations into the West. It is undoubtedly one of history's most hectic and confusing periods of time. As the Roman world collapsed, many tribes reached a peak of brief glory, others were destroyed in a series of little-known wars. To the Germanic people, this was considered to be the 'heroic age' which was a time of adventure and great displays of power."

It is mostly speculation based upon little evidence.

What is most strange is the establishment of a kingdom in Africa! And their establishment of a civilization based mostly upon piracy!

I quote from the above site again;

"In 429, Gaiseric ferried all of his people across the Strait of Gibraltar and led them east along the African coast. One by one, the gleaming Roman cities with their abundant granaries fell to the hungry Vandals. The people of Hippo were rallied to the defense of their town by their bishop, Augustine. St. Augustine died in his city during the 14-month-long Vandal siege. In the end, Hippo, too, passed into the barbarian hands. The Vandal conquest of North Africa took a decade to complete. Cleaning up operations were still going on when Gaiseric turned restlessly to a new project: he built a swift fleet and launched himself on a lucrative career of piracy in the Mediterranean Sea."

Here they supposedly held some of most productive "granaries" in the world, yet they forsook this lucrative trade to instead become "Pirates?"

Even more unsettleing to me, is the fact that "piracy" from this same coast of Africa, was still a major problem to the nations around the Med., until the 19th century CE!

This it seems describes a nature of piracy upon the same area of N. Africa, existed for about 1,400 years, or more!

But, perhaps you see no problem here?

Perhaps even Wikipedia shows us some of the problems?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandals

This file from Wiki, seems to show a different origin of them;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Europa_Germanen_50_n_Chr.svg

In this map, from Wiki, they seem to be the same as the tribe of the "Lugii!", in what is near to modern Poland, or the Ukraine, etc.

Here is another map found at the Wiki site;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Invasions_of_the_Roman_Empire_1.png

And here is another map, found at the above Wiki site, showing their kingdom at its greatest extent, ca. 475 CE;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vandales.png

Perhaps you can make more sense of this than can I?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2011 at 10:49

Sutton Hoo is a really good example of the misconception that all civilized behavior ended with the fall of the Roman Empire.  The burial is from the early 7th Cent.  Some of the finest gold work seen in Europe was done during this period.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply