Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Renaissance Art Likes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Karalem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renaissance Art Likes
    Posted: 29-Aug-2011 at 07:32
You sure Perspective is lacking in the classical art?

I would add there was no photography, no videos, no printers. Painting was a booming industry, needed in medicine, construction, landscaping, etc...Relaxation of medieval religious strict rules was a step ahead in medicine. Before that, opening up the body to study anatomy was not allowed. Painters were suddenly required to draw internal organs.

Painters were mostly professionals rather than artists. Artistic Renaissance painting was the outcome of multitudes of people making their living as painters one way or another. Some of them, by way of sheer statistics became artists. So, to me, it was the very important role of painting in the growing quickly developing time of the Renaissance that led to the great Renaissance art, so superior and so diffrent to its predecessors.

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2011 at 16:57

Sandro Botticelli had a muse called Simonetta Cattaneo Vespucci, and is the face in many of his paintings. Though she was also painted by others too. I've got to say I have a fascination
 of the whole idea of muses, and I believe this one is very special.

The Birth of Venus, by Sandro Botticelli. 1486

undefined

Venus and Mars, by Sandro Botticelli, 1483

undefined

Primavera, by Sandro Botticelli, 1482

undefined

Cleopatra, by Piero di Cosimo, 1480. This one is my favourite painting with Simonetta Cattaneo Vespucci.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 29-Aug-2011 at 17:16
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2011 at 20:16
One of Boticelli's late pictures - "Madonna with Child and Young St. John the Baptist", 1490-95.

Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2011 at 21:31
De Nachtwacht.

Rembrandt van Rijn

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 29-Aug-2011 at 21:32
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2011 at 14:24
Raffaello "The Three Graces", 1505

Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Karalem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2011 at 16:07

Here is a roman painting of Hercules strangling the snake.  It looks like perspective is used. A very advanced piece of art, lacking nothing  in comparison to the renaissance painting.

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2011 at 20:05
Originally posted by Karalem

Here is a roman painting of Hercules strangling the snake.  It looks like perspective is used. A very advanced piece of art, lacking nothing  in comparison to the renaissance painting.

Yes, it seems that perspective is used, for the middle figure. What time is it done? - I had never seen this picture before.
Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Karalem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2011 at 20:27
it says it is a Pompeian painting, around 200 AD
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2011 at 06:47

Laocoön and His Sons

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 31-Aug-2011 at 06:47
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2011 at 19:51
Michelangelo "The Delphic Sybil", 1509

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2011 at 19:52
Originally posted by Karalem

it says it is a Pompeian painting, around 200 AD

Thanks, Karalem!
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2011 at 19:18
Michelangelo "Pieta"

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2011 at 23:13
Artemisia Gentilesci  - "Bathsheba"

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2011 at 19:08
You mean "her", right? Artemisia Gentilesci was the only accepted Renaissance woman painter I know of.
I haven't seen this picture, it's beautiful. She generally don't have attractive faces on her woman characters...like in "Susanna and the Elders"

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2011 at 13:42
Just a typing error, like  we all do when typing fast.
Jiovanni Paolo Fonduli /1468-1484/ - Seated Nymph,

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2011 at 07:16
Now this is a beautifully portrayed painting and powerful in its depiction. Rembrandt's The Sacrifice Of Abraham, 1635. Very evocative. Btw if you look carefully you will see a ram caught in a thicket, that is the real sacrifice.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 14-Dec-2011 at 07:17
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2012 at 10:37
This is a beautiful, and touching painting, the "Small Cowper Madonna", by, Raphael, 1505, and is oil on panel. It is thought it was a gift by Raphael as a wedding present.

undefined

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 03-Jan-2012 at 10:41
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2012 at 17:52
Here's another painting with a Madonna on it. This one is the Madonna of the Harpies, by Andrea del Sarto, 1517, and is oil on wood. It's such a beautiful creation.

File:Andrea del Sarto - Madonna of the Harpies - WGA00369.jpg
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2012 at 12:51
This beautiful example is the Sistine Madonna, by Raphael, 1513-1514, and is oil on canvas.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2012 at 20:11

Henry VIII by Holbein
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>