Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Renaissance Art Likes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Ricky0123 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ricky0123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renaissance Art Likes
    Posted: 19-Mar-2019 at 06:39
The most lasting legacy of the Renaissance was probably the outstanding artwork it produced. Especially in Florence and Rome, master artists emerged who produced astonishing works of art in sculpture, painting and architecture. The competitive spirit of the Italian city-states as well as the enormous wealth of families willing to patronize created a perfect environment for the flourishing of art. 
One of the first artists to incorporate new ideas into his artwork was Giotto di Bondone (1267-1337) who brought unprecedented elements of realism in his paintings. Giotto, a typical Renaissance jack-of-all-trades, also designed the innovative campanile (bell tower) for the Santa Maria del Fiore Cathedralor simply "The Duomo" in Florence. Flemish artists introduced oil paints, and the technique of perspective was introduced by artists like Tommaso Masaccio and Filippo Brunelleschi. Brunelleschi also designed the duomo (dome) for the Santa Maria del Fiore cathedral, a breakthrough in engineering and architecture that showed Brunelleschi’s deep understanding of mathematics. 
Donatello (1386-1466) was an influential painter and sculpture of the early Renaissance from Florence. He sculpted a bronze “David,” the first free-standing nude statue since the days of the Greeks and Romans, and another famous statue of St.George. Titian (Tiziano Vicelli) (1477-1576) was a painter with an unprecedented use of color and loose brushwork, evident in his stunning masterpiece The Assumption of the Virgin. Raphael (1482-1520) also mastered the use of color and painted beautiful frescoes in churches and for private patrons, the most famous of which may be The School of Athens, an interesting painting depicting Plato and Aristotle surrounded by their pupils. He inspired the two greatest artists of the Renaissance: Michelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci. 
Michelangelo (1475) is best known for his statue of David and for painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, an astounding fresco including over 300 Biblical figures, that took over 4 years to complete. He also sculpted amazing renditions of Moses and “the Pietà,” a poignant sculpture of Jesus in Mary’s arms after the crucifixion. Following Brunelleschi’s model Duomo in Florence, Michelangelo designed the dome for St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome. Although some say his earlier works (like David) reveal a humanistic outlook, later works (like the Pietà) reveal his deep and devout Christianity.  
Leonardo Da Vinci (1452-1519) embodied the “Renaissance man.” He was an architect, anatomist, sculptor, scientist, mathematician, musician, and painter. He created masterpieces such as the Mona Lisa and The Last Supper. He kept notebooks full of drawings such as Vitruvian Man, and his observations from dissecting human corpses. It is said that Leonardo could draw with one hand while at the same time painting with the other, and he wrote backwards in his notebooks, so they would have to be held up to a mirror to be read. He was way ahead of his time and created conceptual designs for many devices such as a flying machine and an armored tank. He was the first to come up with the ideas of the calculator and the use of solar power for energy. check it for now more 
IanZonja View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote IanZonja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2018 at 06:16
Portrait of a Young Man , 1514, lost during WWII. Possible self-portrait by Raphael.

When Raphael was 11 or 12 years old, Giovanni Santi died, leaving his son an orphan (Raphael’s mother had died when he was 7 or 8 years old, and Giovanni Santi re-married). Thus, Raphael came under the guardianship of an uncle, a priest by the name of Bartolomeo. The earliest known example of Raphael’s work was produced around this time of the artist’s life, a self-portrait that he painted at the age of 15 or 16. In addition, Giovanni Santi’s workshop continued to be in operation, under the management of Raphael, who was probably working together with his stepmother.

john1565 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote john1565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2018 at 16:36
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

The Creation of Adam, on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, and painted by Michelangelo. On describing the fresco it has been described as thus, “Despite the height of the ceiling the proportions of the Creation of Adam are such that when standing beneath it, “it appears as if the viewer could simply raise a finger and meet those of God and Adam”.

It is a very famous picture I guess. I have seen only part of this before. This one is clearer. Thanks

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2017 at 09:57
It's beautiful!
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2015 at 22:48
Three of my favourite pieces of art showing the likeness of Isabella d'Este by three different artists. The third piece, a terracotta bust is thought to be of the illustrious lady of the Italian renaissance. I shall leave it up to you to decide for yourself.

The first is by Titian, Portrait of Isabella d'Este, or Isabella in Black, c1534-36. Oil on canvas.

The second is a charming portrait of Isabella d'Este in the guise of Saint Justina of Padua. It is  a fragment from an altarpiece, painted in the 1490s by Bartolomeo Montagna.

The third is a terracotta bust by a sculptor Gian Cristoforo Romano, and probably of Isabella d'Este. c1500.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 31-Aug-2015 at 23:15
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2015 at 22:00
Doesn't Rogier van der Weyden, in this captivating portrait, Portrait of a Lady, give the impression he's captured a very real person's passionate intensity? Absolutely fascinating! 

Portrait of a Lady, C1460

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 29-Aug-2015 at 22:03
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2015 at 23:47
St Anne with the Virgin and the Child Embracing a Lamb(1520-1525)
-Francesco Melzi

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 28-Aug-2015 at 23:48
LeopoldPhilippe View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2015 at 22:39
Eustache Le Sueur was a French Baroque Era painter (1616-1655).    
In 1652, he painted Jesus Carrying the Cross.     
The painting also includes St. Veronica holding the veil.    

Edited by LeopoldPhilippe - 07-May-2015 at 22:45
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2013 at 18:36
Do you believe that you are withering away and imagine that death is staring back at you where ever you go? Mad now as it might seem, it is because you've been looking at this picture for too long.

The dance of death, by Vincent de Kastav, 1474

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2013 at 00:28
Originally posted by Ollios

That is a Seraph
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2013 at 20:03
Wisdom, by Titian, 1560

Caravaggioscrazy View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Caravaggioscrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2012 at 11:04
Opinions are opinions
ThaKing View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ThaKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2012 at 08:03
Originally posted by Ollios

Originally posted by ThaKing

Originally posted by Nick1986

I think it's a Greek Orthodox image. Perhaps the winged hoops are representations of the "flying saucers" Ezekiel claimed to have seen

Similar angel figure can be seen in Agia Sofia

I think it's a Greek Orthodox image. Perhaps the winged hoops are representations of the "flying saucers" Ezekiel claimed to have seen

The original site does not give details about its origins, that why I asked.
Do you notice the black god?
What are your ideas of a Black god in Europe?
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2012 at 11:27

Originally posted by ThaKing

Similar angel figure can be seen in Agia Sofia
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2012 at 19:16
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
ThaKing View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ThaKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2012 at 09:44

What are the details of this Black christian god image?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2012 at 09:42
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2012 at 07:56
"Apollo and Daphne" by Antonio del Pollaiolo. Painted in the late 15th century.

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2012 at 05:34
Hans Holbein, The Dance Of Death, 1538.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 02-Sep-2012 at 05:35
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2012 at 14:41
Hans Baldung Grien's,  Three Ages of the Woman and the Death, 1510. I bet once seen you find it impossible to get the images out of your mind.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>