Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early Modern Warfare.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early Modern Warfare.
    Posted: 01-Jul-2011 at 18:56
Early Modern Warfare. What does the term denote? What brought it about? How did it differ to that what it replaced? Any thing on the subject will be gladly received.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2011 at 19:39
Essentially it is an association with the general use of gunpowder in western Europe and lesser degree elsewhere and the associated developments of weapons-tactics using it.

Re-developement of roles for varying force modifiers and organizations and innovations in construction of field fortifications... their defense and their originators... Vauban for example/

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 01-Jul-2011 at 19:45
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 20:44

This was the time of the pike-and-shot formations and the first professional armies (replacing mercenaries and militias raised in wartime). The crossbow had been replaced with the musket, suits of armor became lighter (while offering better protection from bullets), and swords were used for stabbing as much as slicing. The early-modern period marked the birth of the mortuary sword which had the deadly stabbing-point of the rapier in addition to a heavy slashing edge.
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 21:11
And one might add the effect that these tactics and doctrines

(not entirely new perhaps but rediscovered and paired to later technology from their ancient forebears)

and certainly weapons systems... did or demonstrated their potential to do.. to the existing battlefield..not to mention social intercourse; as it related to trade, commerce, diplomatic communications and alliances and their formations etc. 

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 22-Aug-2011 at 21:13

S. T. Friedman

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 22:04
Is this related to the Renaissance, or is this considered separate? 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 22:23
If you accept the traditional dates of that period as the 14th-17th ce...then yes there is an overlap and definite impact...certainly by the late 16th thru mid 17th ce. especially in the developement of fortifications...siege warfare and the appearances of those creators and adherents. A review of some of the links I listed above will give you more substance.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2011 at 20:25

Above is a 16th century castle designed to withstand artillery known as a "trace italienne." Its shape enabled gunners to pick off advancing enemies in addition to making it very difficult to capture
Michael Collins View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian
Historum joker, suspended

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2011 at 06:38
It always seemed to me that Early Modern Warfare was the coupling of primitive firearms and artillery with classic melee infantry and cavalry, which created a varied, violent, and rather interesting battlefield. Firearms were still not strong enough to dominate, but their inclusion in the panoply of war lends the period the aspect of modernity.
Is í labhairt a dteanga an moladh is mó is féidir linn a thabhairt dár namhaid.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2011 at 14:48
Absolutely. Not every country immediately adopted the new technology: the Irish still wore chainmail and fought with lances when the English invaded. Jousting continued well into the 1530s (until Henry was too fat to mount his horse) and longbows were still use during the English Civil War
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2011 at 19:45

Breastplates of the English Civil War comprised two thin sheets of steel welded together at the edges but leaving a small gap in between. The outer layer was designed to take the full force of the bullet, leaving the armor badly dented but saving the wearer's life. In this photo you can see the mark from when the armorer tested the armor by shooting it at close range with a pistol

Edited by Nick1986 - 31-Aug-2011 at 19:46
 Post Reply Post Reply