Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Close all access to non-registered members

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Close all access to non-registered members
    Posted: 09-Jun-2011 at 21:07
In the time i have been here, i have noticed most replies in this section are spam. Wouldn't it be better if the guests seeking homework help registered with us? That way they would be more likely to stay around, get to know our longstanding members and participate in other discussions
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2011 at 21:19
I like the idea as it would assist in the control of spamming. Neither am I a fan of the unregistered use sub as it also is primarily a forum fav of spammers and is difficult to control with 'guest' usage but that's me.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2011 at 14:55
I agree.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2011 at 18:06
We could keep a small unregistered section for members with login or registration problems but all the homework-related questions would be better off in their own section for registered users
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2011 at 10:50
What happened to my proposal? In four months we've only had nine questions which would have been better answered in the relevant sections (in addition to providing a powerful incentive for the newbie to stick around). Most posts here are spam

Edited by Nick1986 - 26-Aug-2011 at 10:50
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2011 at 11:00
Don't be so hard on yourself Nick, I wouldn't say your posts are spam. WinkTongue
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2011 at 11:07
I meant most posts by "guests." On the one hand most of them post useless spam, but on the other, there are several guests who provide excellent answers and would be better off as full members.

If any guest is reading this: JOIN US! It's free, the registration process is simple and you are free to share your own theories
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2011 at 11:12
Originally posted by Nick1986

I meant most posts by "guests." On the one hand most of them post useless spam, but on the other, there are several guests who provide excellent answers and would be better off as full members.

If any guest is reading this: JOIN US! It's free, the registration process is simple and you are free to share your own theories

I knew what you meant mate, just pulling your leg. It was just funny to me that at the time, on the thread you were saying it on, you had about the most posts. Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. No offence intended. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2011 at 11:19
The "guest poster" idea is a holdover from those "good old days" that Mosquito was reminiscing about in another thread.

There was a time when the guest poster was used as it was intended.  For those folks whe were just looking.
With the advent of Spam bots and the like, I think we have to re-think it some.  In the last 2-3 months I have deleted a ton of spam from guests, with just a few legit questions.  The hardest part of turning that off will be finding the button.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2012 at 19:27
Originally posted by red clay

The "guest poster" idea is a holdover from those "good old days" that Mosquito was reminiscing about in another thread.

There was a time when the guest poster was used as it was intended.  For those folks whe were just looking.
With the advent of Spam bots and the like, I think we have to re-think it some.  In the last 2-3 months I have deleted a ton of spam from guests, with just a few legit questions.  The hardest part of turning that off will be finding the button.

I agree. It was useful in the past, but now it's obsolete and should be put to rest
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code Load New Code
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.