Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GeoFact? or Artifact?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GeoFact? or Artifact?
    Posted: 09-Jun-2011 at 13:24

On a forum dealing with NA artifacts, some of the folks there have been critizing some of my artifacts as Geofacts.  I'm dealing with a culture of exceptional age.  Many of the artifacts I've found have been severely acted upon by weather and water.  I have been told that water can't do that much damage to stone. Confused  I can only counter with, Oh Yeah. Take a look.

This was found in a stream approx. 1.5 miles from my home.  I even left some of the algae on it.

Fossil/Geofact right?

Wrong, An arrowhead partially finished, still attached to the core.  Seen from 3 ft up on a stream bank, thru 8-10 inches of moving water, yeah, I'm that good.Big smile

However, if you look carefully you see that the rock used was fossil bearing.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2011 at 14:03
So this was head of,arrow or spear,once?Calcification from water make it smooth as glass. 
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2011 at 15:27
Originally posted by medenaywe

So this was head of,arrow or spear,once?Calcification from water make it smooth as glass. 

It would have been if the person who was making it had finished it.  The core he was working from is still attached.

I don't think calcification is evident.  The first pic is how it was found in the stream.  The water action wore that side down to it's original fossil appearence.  This is in quartz btw, so it already starts with a glassy appearence.

The 2nd pic is the side that was down in the mud, somewhat protected.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2011 at 15:50
Ancient name for body,from Flint stone(spark?) answer.Is it possible this one was used for first fire spark?

Edited by medenaywe - 09-Jun-2011 at 16:22
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2011 at 17:28
 No, fire kits come in a variety of types but this isn't related to that.  I do have a couple flints used for that however. 
Unknown.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2011 at 20:42
Originally posted by red clay

Wrong, An arrowhead partially finished, still attached to the core.  Seen from 3 ft up on a stream bank, thru 8-10 inches of moving water, yeah, I'm that good.Big smile

However, if you look carefully you see that the rock used was fossil bearing.

Is that a fault I can see running through the stone? In the picture is that sideways on as I believe?

I found this really good collection for you make a comparison with:

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 09-Jun-2011 at 21:17
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2011 at 00:57
Actually it's the interior structure of the fossil.  Thanks for the link.  Most of those are from the midwest.

I'll post some pics of points that I've found. All but a few aren't whole,  This area has been farmed for 300 years.  It's also been heavily collected over the last one hundred.  That plus the age of the points make a whole point that hasn;t been badly weathered a rare find.

Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply