Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Singing cowboys

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Singing cowboys
    Posted: 03-Jun-2011 at 21:15

Gene and Roy are among the best-known singing cowboys. They ride into town singing country songs in the saddle before singlehandedly taking out all the bad guys on behalf of the townsfolk. Their white hats and gaudy shirts marked them out as the heros while their chivalrous behavior made them positive role models for the kids of my parents' generation.
How did the singing movie star cowboy originate? How did Buffalo Bill's western shows contribute to his identity? Why were singing cowboys more popular than the earlier historically accurate Westerns? And who was the first?

Edited by Nick1986 - 03-Jun-2011 at 21:16
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 10:37
"The Cowboy Way".  It's still out there, somewhere.

I think you should separate the subjects of Buffalo Bill and this.  BB was an earlier era and not involved with either movies or TV.

Nick, this is a fav. subject of mine.  When TV first came on with regularly scheduled programs, approx. 1949, B Westerns were popular as they were cheaply bought for use on TV.

The first Movie "singing Cowboy" was Ken Maynard.  However, the first Cowboy song was recorded in 1925 by Carl Sprague of Texas. "When the Works All Done This Fall".
source Wiki.
Maynard appeared in a movie "Sons of the Saddle in 1930 and sang 2 songs.

Singin Sandy Saunders-  John Wayne appeared under this name in a Western in 1933.  One problem, Wayne couldn't sing.  His voice was dubbed.
Saunders was, in a way, the Anti Hero.  He was a "good guy", but he talked rough and tough, and wore a black hat instead of a white one.Wink

Tex Ritter- Sang the theme for High Noon.

There were others, Roy Rogers, Ken Curtis, [ He later played "Festus Haigen" in the TV series "Gun Smoke".] 

Although not a "Singing Cowboy" my favorite was Robert A Bradbury, AKA  "Battlin Bob Steele".  I think he would have to be remembered as having the most successful and long lived career as a Cowboy star.  He started in silent flicks.  The film quality was so bad at the time that they had to use make up to make their facial features stand out.  This led to Steele's Nickname  "The Lipstick Kid".  He was active in TV shows into the 70's. 

Almost forgot about ol' Hoot Gibson. Big smile

Edited by red clay - 04-Jun-2011 at 11:13
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 10:42
Lucky Luck is my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYzZPsK78Gg

Edited by medenaywe - 04-Jun-2011 at 10:46
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 11:54
In 1990 I was involved in a business venture that mainly traded on Nostalgia.  There were several other merchants in this small resort area that also traded in nostalgia.  Classic TV and Movies etc.  We were having an impromtu meeting in our store, the subject being how dowe get more folks in here?  A lady who was browsing and overheard us said," Why don't you have a Western Film Fest?"  I know that my uncle Alfred would love to be a Guest Star, in person.  I replied, who is your uncle?  Her reply, Alfred "Lash" LaRue.  He was still alive and kicking in his late 70's.  We did a huge promo. never expecting much out of it.

On the appointed day, the crowd was large, no, it was huge.  Lash showed up dressed all in black, whip and all.  There were many there close in age to him and more than a few women were crying.
He signed autographs for close to 6 hours.  For his age, he hadn't changed much and he still had a Star aura about him.

Alfred "Lash" LaRUE
Was born on June 14th. 1916, he died May 21 1996,

Edited by red clay - 04-Jun-2011 at 12:01
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 16:46
Hell yes! Lash LaRue! I remember him well. I heard that that he had basically become a "carney" freak for a long time.

I have seen numerous of his films in my short life.

As one of my favorites always said; "Thanks for the memories!"

Bob Hope!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 17:35
I love the idea that the term "Gringo" might have come from a song sung by American frontiersmen, either "Green Grow the Rushes" or possibly "Green Grow the Lilacs".
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 17:46
I tend to side with the "Lilacs!"

Regards,
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 18:08
Originally posted by opuslola

I tend to side with the "Lilacs!"

Regards,

If they were both songs sung at the time it could be both.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 18:24
But, I have no idea of the other song ever being sung by Amercian troops in Mexico, nor have I heard of it at all.

I looked it up, and Wikipedia give a lot of words but no dates. And the other site dates it somewhat, to 1625 CE.

So the only other group in Mexico and its immediate invirons might well be the influence of the Mormans into Mexico?"

Perhaps there exists Morman sources for the use of this song in their so called "conquest of Mexico?"

Just what are your sources?

regards,

Edited by opuslola - 04-Jun-2011 at 18:30
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 19:47
errmmm, I'd investigate that one a little bit farther.  See if you can go beyond folklore.  There should be some linguistics you can reffer to.  But I would take that a little lightly until you get better sources.

And we should go back to topic.  Not fair to Hijack Nick's thread.

Edited by red clay - 04-Jun-2011 at 19:56
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2011 at 10:27
I don't mind
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2011 at 11:49
I don't think i've heard of Lash LaRue before. What films was he in?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2011 at 07:31
He's also the guy who taught Harrison Ford, how to use a whip.

Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2011 at 17:59
Sometimes, it is very "old" guys like red clay and I, who bring the past of the 1950's back to life. chuckle

Regards,
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 20:58

Who is the last singing cowboy? A lot of country singers have played starring roles in Westerns, including Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash and Glen Campbell
 Post Reply Post Reply