Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

African pyramids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: African pyramids
    Posted: 31-May-2011 at 20:25

At Meroe, Sudan, you can find a complex of strange pyramids with steeper sides than their larger Egyptian counterparts. Like the pharaohs, Nubian kings were mummified and buried with their treasure, although the tombs were robbed long ago.
How did these tombs differ from the Egyptian pyramids? Who built them? Did the Nubians copy Egyptian culture, or did the Egyptians and Sudanese once share a common heritage in which the Meroe pyramids were a case of parallel invention?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2011 at 22:03
one thing i must say is that Nubia has almost compeletly been ignored by western archeologists and scientists for centuries, i wonder why?, i have seen very few studies going on there, despite nubai also being really old and ancient and containing many ancient wonders

Edited by balochii - 31-May-2011 at 22:04
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2011 at 08:05
Added to that the theory that Ancient Egyptians are believed to have migrated north from Nubia, before they settled and started their civilization.
Timidi mater non flet
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2011 at 08:46
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piye
Piye, (Arabicبعنخي‎) (whose name was once transliterated as Piankhi the Nubian)[2] (d. 721 BC) was a Kushite king and founder of the Twenty-fifth dynasty of Egyptwho ruled Egypt from the city of Napata, located deep in NubiaSudan. His predecessor as king of Kush, Kashta, almost certainly exercised a strong degree of influence over Thebes prior to Piye's accession because Kashta managed to have his daughter, Amenirdis I, adopted as the Heiress to the serving God's Wife of Amun, Shepenupet I, before the end of his reign.

Kushite Period, or Dynasty 25 (ca. 712–664B.C.)

From ca. 728 to 656B.C., the Nubian kings of Dynasty 25 dominated Egypt. Like the Libyans before them, they governed as Egyptian pharaohs. Their control was strongest in the south. In the north, Tefnakht's successor, Bakenrenef, ruled for four years (ca. 717–713B.C.) at Sais until Piankhy's successor, Shabaqo (ca. 712–698B.C.), overthrew him and established Nubian control over the entire country. The accession of Shabaqo can be considered the end of theThird Intermediate Periodand the beginning of the Late Period in Egypt.

Nubian rule, which viewed itself as restoring the true traditions of Egypt, benefited Egypt economically and was accompanied by a revival in temple building and the arts that continued throughout the Late Period. At the same time, however, the country faced a growing threat from the Assyrian empire to its east. After forty years of relative security, Nubian control—and Egypt's peace—were broken by an Assyrian invasion in ca. 671B.C.The current pharaoh, Taharqo (ca. 690–664B.C.), retreated south and the Assyrians established a number of local vassals to rule in their stead in the Delta. One of them, Necho I of Sais (ca. 672–664B.C.), is recognized as the founder of the separate Dynasty 26. For the next eight years, Egypt was the battleground between Nubia and Assyria. A brutal Assyrian invasion in 663B.C.finally ended Nubian control of the country. The last pharaoh of Dynasty 25, Tanutamani (664–653B.C.), retreated to Napata. There, in relative isolation, he and his descendants continued to rule Nubia, eventually becoming the Meroitic civilization, which flourished in Nubia until the fourth centuryA.D.

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2011 at 13:55
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

Added to that the theory that Ancient Egyptians are believed to have migrated north from Nubia, before they settled and started their civilization.

isn't there a debate also if some of the structures in nubia are older then Egypt?? i was reading an article which showed pictures of really old nubian architecture which is thought to have inspired ancient egyptian architectures.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2011 at 19:37
Originally posted by balochii

one thing i must say is that Nubia has almost compeletly been ignored by western archeologists and scientists for centuries, i wonder why?, i have seen very few studies going on there, despite nubai also being really old and ancient and containing many ancient wonders

Sudan has been a warzone for the past 40 years. Even today it's dangerous to go there
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2011 at 09:20
There are several sites in the Sudan that have been waiting for the Civil warfare to calm down.  It hasn't yet.  If your a westerner going there you might as well paint a Bullseye on your chest.

My recollection of the Nubian Pyramids is that they were much smaller and weren't actually for royalty only. Anyone who could afford it could have one.  Some are only 20, 30 ft high.  Most of these are known.  However there are sat. scans showing many more not prev. known.  Just can't get to them now.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2011 at 19:35
One thing i noticed about the Nubian pyramids is many don't rest on an East-West axis (facing the rising sun) but are clustered together. The burial chamber was also shallower and less complex than Egyptian tombs
johnbriner View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote johnbriner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2011 at 00:29
Cool, nice structures. I wonder why they are not studying that place, it's pretty interesting! Thanks for sharing!

As noted numerous times elsewhere you need to recieve prior permission from the administrator before posting links in your signature block.  As such your post has been edited. Failure to comply may lead to  a warning then an or your suspension. We do this to avoid unsolicated spamming. And while yours does not necessarily meet a definition of spam imo....there are no exception. Thanks for your cooperation.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 07-Jun-2011 at 00:47
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2011 at 02:58
They were bowmen warriors in Egypt.Steady job or mercenaries?First one..Read more here:
http://wysinger.homestead.com/nubians.html
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2011 at 03:09
There were Upper Egypt kingdom and Lower Egypt kingdom.Lower Egypt had been kingdom of black Nubians,till Upper Egypt pharaohs united the land.During all Egypt existence,they were part of unique economical and defense system with certain autonomy.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2011 at 09:28
Originally posted by Nick1986

One thing i noticed about the Nubian pyramids is many don't rest on an East-West axis (facing the rising sun) but are clustered together. The burial chamber was also shallower and less complex than Egyptian tombs

As time went on the Pyrimids became smaller.  Burial chambers were in the pyrimid itself, not under it.  Which is the reason most have had their tops removed and tunnels dug down to the chamber.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2011 at 11:13
Originally posted by medenaywe

There were Upper Egypt kingdom and Lower Egypt kingdom.Lower Egypt had been kingdom of black Nubians,till Upper Egypt pharaohs united the land.During all Egypt existence,they were part of unique economical and defense system with certain autonomy.

You seem to have mixed them up, Upper Egypt is in the South, Lower Egypt is in the North Confused
Timidi mater non flet
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2011 at 11:20
I am glad you think so!Explain the fact about those pyramids builders than!?!Were those economic migrants or repressive migrations were on there?!?I know well distinction of Up and Down still,but...Will appreciate all your suggestions!Regards.Big smile
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2011 at 12:16
Look at Egypt's two capitals: Thebes is in the south and Memphis is in the north. When the Upper Egyptians (whose king wore a white crown) conquered the Lower Egytians (whose king wore a red crown) Memphis ceased to be Egypt's capital
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2011 at 12:34
Agree with you also!Both of you have missed my point!?!Had Nubians lived there(Lower Egypt) ever,than exodus happened?Look the link:
"Nubians are the people of northern Sudan and southern Egypt. With a history and traditions which can be traced to the dawn of civilization, the Nubian first settled along the banks of the Nile from Aswan.http://wysinger.homestead.com/nubians10.html
here you have a map.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2011 at 12:40
The Israelites entered Egypt during the time of Joseph to escape famine. The presence of Nubians in Egypt is completely irrelevant as Rameses was a stubborn king regardless of his race
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2011 at 12:50
Very possible.But this do not deny map above and Nubian presence in Lower Egypt.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2011 at 14:57
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

Originally posted by medenaywe

You seem to have mixed them up, Upper Egypt is in the South, Lower Egypt is in the North Confused

Sorry my mistake.I create weird mix from both maps.SmileUpper Egypt response with Lower Nubia from map.
 P.S.In Demotic text writer considered,now days Lower Egypt,as Upper...Na AGjuPoTo...Intersting thing is that river had male gender.Also the Mother Earth...Very racistic,indeed.Big smile

Edited by medenaywe - 07-Jun-2011 at 15:02
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2011 at 21:16
I don't understand what you're saying. How is assigning gender to objects like earth or water racist?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>