Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What if the Russians won in Afghanistan?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zeeboe View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zeeboe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if the Russians won in Afghanistan?
    Posted: 29-May-2011 at 17:34
Children in the United States of America are not getting the education they are entitled to get, Americans are losing their jobs left and right, the economy.....well, what economy?..... too many U.S. troops have died....and more is going on in the U.S.A. I believe what caused all this was two wars the American Union had to be apart of through out the 2000's.

Now I totally support the hunt for Bin Laden for what he did, but what if it never happened? What if another country was willing to do all the work? Well, the U.S. had that chance in the 1980's, but because of the country's issues with wanting to be Superman all the time, they ended up biting their own tail.

Ya see, I have been studying the Soviet War in Afghanistan that took place during the late 1970's/through out 1980's recently, and I am thinking, if the Russians won - 9/11, the wars that the U.S. were apart of that followed, and all this other nonsense would have never happened if the Russians were left alone to do the job the U.S. took over to do years later.

I really don't see how Russia taking over Afghanistan and maybe even killing Bin Laden and the rest of his people would have hurt the United States or anyone else for that matter. Infact, I think things would have been better because there would have been no Al-Qaeda going around not only killing Americans, but plenty of other people as well.

So okay, back in the 1980's, the Russians were going to war with a bunch of religious fanatics who wanted the whole world to be like them, and were willing to kill (and did kill and still are killing) plenty of people for it. And the Russians were the first ones (in modern times anyhow) who were willing to get rid of these guys and their third world ways once and for all, and they had the power to do so, but because of the U.S.A. it never happened.

Gorbachev begged the U.S.A. not to arm the Mujahideen because they were Islamist fanatics, but the U.S ignored him. Afghanistan might have become "Russia part II" if the Russians won, but it might be a darn better sight than it is now, and a lot better for women.....AND there would have been no 9/11, no money issues going on in this country because of the wars, and all this other nonsense that was later caused because of our friend Bin Laden.

The truth is, the Russians stopped being the U.S.A.'s enemies because they are too busy pointing their fingers at us and laughing! The U.S.A. got a giant wad of karma spit right on us, and we're still trying to wipe it off.

I am a proud American, but the one thing I really dislike about this country is we have a very bad habit of meddling in the affairs of other countries and then digging ourselves into an even bigger hole that is even harder to get out of. Will we ever learn our lesson? What is the lesson/point here? This country and everyone in it should read and learn from history. So many people think that because it's the first time they are expereince something, that it's the first time in human history that it's happening, but it's not true. How about we all start learning from the last genereation's mistakes? I realize "remakes" are in right now, but that doesn't mean we have to do the same does it? Are we all really THAT trendy?

If my country refuses to learn it's history, I at least plan to.
.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2011 at 17:58
Arming insurgents should be recognised as a war crime (unless the rebels represent the legitimate democratic government of a conquered nation). It's one thing providing them with supplies or opening diplomatic relations, but training them is stupid as they could use our own weapons against us in the future
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2011 at 19:35
Don't forget that America had its eyes on Afghanistan at the time and frankly there was reason for the US to get greedy but I guess they didn't foresee things unravel in such a way.
Timidi mater non flet
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2011 at 20:08
Dear all, while I tend to agree with posts one and two, I only have a question concerning the post of Baal M., that is I do not understand the statement that the US, "had its eyes on Afghanistan at the time.."?

Just what "eyes" could anyone have upon this so called nation? To me at least, the only "Eyes" the US had were only focused upon the USSR, and embarrassing them. US, leaders, and the State Department, obviously, had designs to stop Soviet agression, and they did not care in which part of the world they could do so!

It was a stupid policy, for just what good was Afganistan to the USSR? It had become a rising "boil" upon the USSR, a while before we (The USA) became enamoured with arming its enemies!

There is only one word to describe the events then and now, and that word is "STUPID!"

That is unless it was designed to keep the worlds supply of opium open and prevalent?

Certainly there is an even better reason to have let the Soviets get so pissed at the inhabitants of Afganistan, that they might well have used genocidal weapons there. And there is a good argument that it might well have been done for the better good of the world.

If any thing that was written concerning the Spartans, then it might well be true of the Afgans, that is "come home with your shield or upon it!" A truer warrior nation could not have ever existed, with the possible exception of Vietnam?

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 29-May-2011 at 20:15
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Online Status: Online
  Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2011 at 03:40
There was diplomatic joke about it after NATO entered in Afghanistan:What the F.ck you are doing there!?!
Do you know a costs for going out?Big smile
This article describes lot of prehistory events and after also:
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Retreat+from+Kabul%3A+the+Soviet+defeat+in+Afghanistan+teaches+many...-a0197233728
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2011 at 09:46
Originally posted by opuslola

Dear all, while I tend to agree with posts one and two, I only have a question concerning the post of Baal M., that is I do not understand the statement that the US, "had its eyes on Afghanistan at the time.."?

Just what "eyes" could anyone have upon this so called nation? To me at least, the only "Eyes" the US had were only focused upon the USSR, and embarrassing them. US, leaders, and the State Department, obviously, had designs to stop Soviet agression, and they did not care in which part of the world they could do so!

It was a stupid policy, for just what good was Afganistan to the USSR? It had become a rising "boil" upon the USSR, a while before we (The USA) became enamoured with arming its enemies!

There is only one word to describe the events then and now, and that word is "STUPID!"

That is unless it was designed to keep the worlds supply of opium open and prevalent?

Certainly there is an even better reason to have let the Soviets get so pissed at the inhabitants of Afganistan, that they might well have used genocidal weapons there. And there is a good argument that it might well have been done for the better good of the world.

If any thing that was written concerning the Spartans, then it might well be true of the Afgans, that is "come home with your shield or upon it!" A truer warrior nation could not have ever existed, with the possible exception of Vietnam?

Regards,

Actually, they did have their eyes on the area because they needed the opium, which I believe isn't very commomly grown anywhere else.
Timidi mater non flet
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2011 at 15:34
Then, it seems we almost agree?

Regards,
Ronald
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2011 at 15:49
Well, what would the drug companies be worth without vicodine, eh? I mean this is just speculation, perhaps their only motive was just to beat the Russians.
Timidi mater non flet
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2011 at 16:03
Dr. House, the subject of one of my favorite TV shows, was and probably still is hooked on Vicodine?

But WTF, I still love the guy!

Maybe he could beat the Russians single handledly?

regards,

Edited by opuslola - 30-May-2011 at 16:04
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2011 at 21:59
Nah, send in Steven Fry. He beat the crap out of Dr House then shot him with a pistol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWrQfJCfFsA
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply