Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Least wanted leaders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ALLAN View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ALLAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Least wanted leaders
    Posted: 21-May-2011 at 10:24
Two of the nasties from history, but looking at everything they were which one of them would you least want as your leader, and why?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2011 at 17:00
Sorry ALLAN, your poll question does not compute. Just how can you say we have two choices but the poll only has places for brains?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
ALLAN View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote ALLAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2011 at 17:52
Oh dear I didn't realise I had put this on a poll.Dead
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2011 at 01:34
Out of the two, I would choose Genghis for my leader.
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2011 at 07:24
They were both very good generals, but as rulers not so much. They didn't really care about the people. They would just conquer lands and not establish new governmental systems in them. For this reason they were often forced to reconquer their lands after inevitable rebellions. This is why the Mongol and Timurid empires didn't last too long.
"Prayer is when you talk to God. Insanity is when you talk to God and he answers back."
Scholar7 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Scholar7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2011 at 17:15
Their are plenty of people who would not make great leaders.  I would choose Genghis over Tamerlane, mainly cause I think Khan is more of a bad-ass than Tamerlane.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2011 at 21:22
Originally posted by Scholar7

Their are plenty of people who would not make great leaders.  I would choose Genghis over Tamerlane, mainly cause I think Khan is more of a bad-ass than Tamerlane.

Well of course he (Timur) was a little "Lame."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timur

Regards,
shikra View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote shikra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 02:20

Genghiz Khan ... 'coz he was lesser of the two evil.

While Khan was the natural product of his environment, Temur Lang had the fortune of being born in relatively cultured area and era and still perpetrated the near exact acts of destruction as Genghiz Khan, that makes him more wicked than Khan.

Moreover, while Genghiz Khan conquered every area that he attacked and later instituted governance on those areas, Temur indulged in delibrate raids, incursions and attacks on areas, such as in India and Asia Minor, that he did not conquer and put under his governance, which shows that he acted more like a barbarian maurader than an empire builder.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 20:27
This is a difficult question. If we look at both of them, many things are similar, including their names, both birth names mean iron(Temujin and Timur). They were both born holding blood clots. Both became great leaders after being at a low point, though Genghis Khan had come from a higher social standing than Tamerlane, with connections he utilised to raise himself up. Both did care for their respective fighters, unlike what some people have said. Tamerlane was definitely the greatest self made man. They were both intelligent. I'm going to need more time, it's far too close to call just yet for me.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 19:41
And, you well know that all of your reasons, rely mostly upon the opinions of historians now mostly dead.

Regards,
ALLAN View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote ALLAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 22:41

Originally posted by opuslola

And, you well know that all of your reasons, rely mostly upon the opinions of historians now mostly dead.

Regards,
Not to mention everything else said about them on here, if you think about it. I guess we're going to have to rely on what we think we know for this one.

Edited by ALLAN - 28-May-2011 at 22:45
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2011 at 07:36
Originally posted by unclefred

Out of the two, I would choose Genghis for my leader.

Yep. The lad had talent. Plus as a  fellow horseman he wold have made me a commander of a ordu-Noyan or I would have wacked him and grabbed the clan lead.Wink
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Post Reply Post Reply