Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHellens-possible origin of

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Homer MakeDonski View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hellens-possible origin of
    Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 18:08
 Who are Hellens
Herodotus.
Book 1, Introduction and Chapter 1. titled
KLIO
Translated by George Rawlinson,

http://www.galileolibrary.com/ebooks/eu04/herodotus_page_3.h tm

THESE are the researches of Herodotus of Halicarnassus, which he
publishes, in the hope of thereby preserving from decay the
remembrance of what men have done, and of preventing the great and
wonderful actions of the Greeks and the Barbarians from losing their
due meed of glory; and withal to put on record what were their grounds
of feuds.
According to the Persians best informed in history, the
Phoenicians began to quarrel. This people, who had formerly dwelt on
the shores of the Erythraean Sea, having migrated to the Mediterranean
and settled in the parts which they now inhabit, began at once, they
say, to adventure on long voyages, freighting their vessels with the
wares of Egypt and Assyria. They landed at many places on the coast,
and among the rest at Argos, which was then preeminent above all the
states included now under the common name of Hellas. Here they exposed
their merchandise, and traded with the natives for five or six days;
at the end of which time, when almost everything was sold, there
came down to the beach a number of women, and among them the
daughter of the king, who was, they say, agreeing in this with the
Greeks, Io, the child of Inachus. The women were standing by the stern
of the ship intent upon their :
quote:
say, to adventure on long voyages, freighting their vessels with the
wares of Egypt and Assyria. They landed at many places on the coast,
and among the rest at Argos, which was then preeminent above all the
states included now under the common name of Hellas.

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

This people ,who had formely dwelt on shores of the erythraean Sea ,having migrated to the Mediterranean ....,avantures,voyages..wares of Egipt and Assyria ....They landed at many places on the coast ...now under the commonn name of Hellas .
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------
This people i.e no named tribes from Erythrerian lans origin
what had got one of it's name's what they claime as their national
name of Hellens as far as they arrived at someone else space
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 18:10
 Possible meaning for the word Hellens
writen in my macedonian goloses as

Helleni
*H-*>X->*K`S
Xelleni
K`S E LLENI
(K)`SELLENI
''`SELLENIJE-migration

Xellens
*X->*K`S
egex-sek`s

Xelleni
K`S E LLENI

*I->*IJE

S E LLENIJE
prosses of migration in what right players are migrants or as for the case

Hellens -meaning
by historical sources

http://history.macedonia.gr/faq.htm#9

Although the words Hellas and Hellen (and the other two Englishequivalents Greece and Greek) have been used to describe thecountry and the people of modern day Greece, their use in ancienttimes differed in various periods of time.The usage of these words to describe the various hellenictribes as a whole was unknown to the people of the Homeric poems.In Iliad, the words Hellen (Gk: ELLHN) and Hellas (Gk: ELLAS) de-fined a small greek tribe and the land inhabited by them inThessaly. (Iliad B' 683) "OI T' EIXON FUIHN HD' ELLADA KALLI-GYNAIKA, MYRMIDONES DE KALEYNTO KAI ELLHNES KAIAXAIOI". At some earlier line (B' 530) there is a reference tothe word "PANELLHNVN". This word since the time of Aristarchoshas been considered to be absent in the original poem and was ad-ded at some later time.Plutarchos (Lykourgos 6) wrote about the message brought fromDelphoi to Sparta by Lykourgos " DIOS (S)ELLANIOU KAI AUHNAS(S)ELLANIAS IERON IDRYSAMENON...". Because of this reference, itis believed that the words "Hellas" and "Hellen" became morewidely used after the dispersion of the Dorians. It is also pos-sible that they were sacred words possibly related to the(S)elles priests of the Dodonian Zeus.[the parenthesized (S) is to mean that the S say in the word SEL-LANIOY was later dropped from use thus giving ELLANIOY.]The words Hellas and Hellen became more widely used some time inthe 8-7th century BC and in the 5th century BC we find the firstreferences of them to describe the lands and the Greek peopleliving south of river Peneios. In the 4th century BC and laterthey were also used to describe the various hellenic (greek)tribes as a whole. The passage from Herodotos (I,56), mentionedin a previous Question indicated another use of these words, thatof distinguishing Ionian Greeks from Dorian Greek.Since the Macedonians were pretty much isolated from the Greeksof Southern Greece up to the early 5th century BC, the words'Hellas' and 'Hellen' were not used by them to describe collec-tively the lands of various hellenic tribes, as this was alsotrue for all the other greek tribes until the 8-7th century BC.Hence when the Macedonians initiated contacts with other Greektribes they continued to use the word 'Macedonian' to describethemselves instead of the collective 'Hellen(es)'. This is thereason various authors (such as Isocrates, Philippos 154) use theterm "Hellenes" and "Macedonians" on the one hand and 'barbari-ans" on the other to distinguish the greek tribes (of Macedoni-ans and other Hellenes) from the non-greek ones (barbarians).The intellectual Athenians of the 4th century gave yet anotherdefinition for the word "Hellen" (Isocrates, Panegyrikos 50 ),that of the person having an Athenian educational background,"... the name 'Hellenes' suggests no longer the people but an in-telligence, and that the title 'Hellenes' is applied rather tothose who share our [note: the 'our' refers to the Athenians]culture than to those who share a common blood".
----------------
Some analyses about the text:
1) Homeric poems.I (Gk: ELLHN) and Hellas (Gk: ELLAS) de-fined a small greek tribe and the land inhabited by them inThessaly. (Iliad B' 683) "OI T' EIXON FUIHN HD' ELLADA KALLI-GYNAIKA, MYRMIDONES DE KALEYNTO KAI ELLHNES KAIAXAIOI".

2) The same one : At some earlier line (B' 530) there is a reference tothe word "PANELLHNVN". This word since the time of Aristarchoshas been considered to be absent in the original poem and was ad-ded at some later time.
.........so the word:,,PAN-ELLHNVN''
3) Plutarchos (Lykourgos 6) wrote about the message brought fromDelphoi to Sparta by Lykourgos " DIOS (S)ELLANIOU KAI
...........the word:,,DIOS(S)ELLANIOU KAI
4)"Hellas" and "Hellen" became morewidely used after the dispersion of the Dorians. It is also pos-sible that they were sacred words possibly related to the(S)elles priests of the Dodonian Zeus.[the parenthesized (S) is to mean that the S say in the word SEL-LANIOY was later dropped from use thus giving ELLANIOY.]The words Hellas and Hellen became more widely used so

... so we have EL-LANIOY-ELLANIOY
an if we make a comparation with a meaning of :
H -E -LL -E-N-I...
where
H could be a bissonant form of X
*X->K'S
eg: AleX-AleKS ,SeX-SeKS
then this make the word changeable at this way:

And I will write one more time

Helleni
*H-*>X->*K`S
Xelleni
K`S E LLENI
(K)`SELLENI
''`SELLENIJE-migration
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 18:10

e can read word MIGRATION because it is the verb "move"appiaring here .In my language SELI is MOVE ,SELJENJE is MIGRATION.Also a question WHY that word ? LET's put the thinks on this way.I'd move from my country in U.K. ,and English people are eye witnesses of my immigration on their soil.English language is my witness as well becouse English people as civilizated people has registrated me like that,like immigrant.May something simmilar had happened one's up one time back in my country spaces ,where were one people were leaving already there ,at the times when some tribbes have had arrived ,so called "HELLENS"
Knowing that Hellene is with meaning Shine and Hellens as Shining people
and knowing that one word have more then one meaning
I am grounding meaning of the word Hellens as standing for Migrants or Immigrands because of this word's with the same rooth's in my Macedonian language :
As for the Hellens~migrants in my language we have a werb like
K/SELLO
' /SELLO -village (Polises , )
' SEL -
*L->*O (palatalisation )
'/ SEL
SEO -(SEDNAL) -v. to sit;to live ;to stay

*SEL-SSEL-ZSEL-ZASEL :-ZA SEDNAL

maybe from that werb we have got the word ZA SEDNAL what could stand for to it to stay ,to live

but we do have the word Ela for come or come here
and more of it and in the language of the Greeks it is the same word
with the same meaning
Ella -come or come here .

regards

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 18:36

Dont you guys over there, have anything better to do than go and copy/paste from your propagandistic sites, without even saying your personal opinion? 

I see your intent is to go and post your propaganda to as many forums you can and then dissapear.

http://archives.vmacedonia.com/6857.htm

At least are they paying you good?

Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 18:40
Originally posted by Aeolus

Dont you guys over there, have anything better to do than go and copy/paste from your propagandistic sites, without even saying your personal opinion? 

I see your intent is to go and post your propaganda to as many forums you can and then dissapear.

Im sorry I do forgot to add
that this is my perosnal  opinion , and so fare all over the holly net
mostly i do speak with my self only , waithing for some  time waister to talk with

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 18:42
Oh gosh, I thought Imperitor got rid of all these Macedonian nationalists! I hope were not invaded once again
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 18:57
First of all I suggest you start quoting someone that CAN translate what he reads instead of this twit

According to the Persians best informed in history

Herodotus, doesn't say that. He clearly uses the words:

"Perseon men nun oi logioi"
 that means:
"The Persian wise men"

NO reference to best informed as you think.
This people ,who had formely dwelt on shores of the erythraean Sea ,having migrated to the Mediterranean ....,avantures,voyages..wares of Egipt and Assyria ....They landed at many places on the coast ...now under the commonn name of Hellas .

Do you understand what you're reading??????
The "This people........... of Hellas"
has NOTHING to do with the Hellines, Herodotus is repeating what the Persian wise men told him about the origin of the Phoenicians and NOT the Hellines.

The rest of your post, and comparing Hellinic words to your Slvo-Bulgarian language is nonesense.

You should start off with explaining why you still use the Cyrrilic alphabet and then attempt to make connections.
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 09:27

I see that you call all ideas that doesnt fit with yours as "propoganda", and all people who dont agree with you as "brainwashed". Bad mentality...

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 09:46
I see that you call all ideas that doesnt fit with yours as "propoganda", and all people who dont agree with you as "brainwashed". Bad mentality...

Sorry to disagree once again but, I just have to.
Posting historic FACTS is the smart way to go.
Bad mentality, is posting whatever you find that suits your twisted cause of attacking what you're unable to apprehend.
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 09:57
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Wrong again Oguz...

propaganda   Pronunciation key (prp-gnd)
n.

1. The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.

In our case, the author of the topic is visiting different forums, posting the exact same topic you read here which is taken from a propagandistic site...nothing else!!!  No personal opinion posted from the author, no reply from his side to these who will comment on his topic as its obvious anyway in this topic. Plain and simple.

and all people who dont agree with you as "brainwashed". Bad mentality...

Unfortunately for you Oguz.. YOU are the one who is calling people with different opinion from your views "brainwashed" , Not me! But since you love to expose yourself with your own quotes, do us a favor and at least follow your own advice.

iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 12:57

Some scientific facts.....that cannot be denied , by anyone , either Makendonski , or Turanian..

Greek mtDNA

In numerous recent studies, the mitochondrial DNA of Greeks was examined and was found to be predominantly Caucasoid with only infrequent presence of "erratic" sequences from non-Caucasoid sources. Mitochondrial DNA ("mtDNA" is inherited from one's mother and is thus a good way to establish the maternal ancestry of a population.

The most comprehensive European-wide study of mtDNA is [1] in which 125 Greeks were sampled among thousands of Europeans. The Greeks and the Albanians appear in the "Mediterranean-East" category of the study. Greeks tested belonged overwhelmingly to the Caucasoid-specific haplogroups ("Seven Daughters of Eve" popularized by Bryan Sykes' book).

The "erratic" sequences include a Sub-Saharan African (L1a) sequence, which was derived from the Albanian part of the sample [2]. The other two sequences non-attributed to a European founder are members of haplogroups prevalent in Asia, M and D. Thus, the total percentage of erratics in the Greek sample was 1.6%. The Greeks, like most Europeans are fairly pure in terms of their maternal ancestry.

It is sometimes argued that the Greeks absorbed large numbers of Negro slaves or immigrants. There is no evidence of such an event in Greek mtDNA. If it ever took place, it was so limited in scope that not a single sequence in a total of 125 could be found.

The number of non-European sequences in the rest of Europe is also small, while in the Near East it is about 5%, only slightly larger. One can easily verify that Sub-Saharan African admixture (L sequences) has been detected in Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway and Iceland - 0.6%), Southeastern Europe (Bulgaria/Romania - 0.5%), Central Mediterranean (Italy and Sardinia - 1.7%; mostly in Sardinia), the Mediterranean West (Spain and Portugal - 3.7%), North Central Europe (Poles, Czechs, Germans, Danes - 0.9%), North Western Europe (Britain, Ireland and France - 0.4%). In another recent study [3] on Norwegians, an L2 Sub-Saharan African sequence was found in the sample of 74 Norwegians (1.4% Sub-Saharan admixture). Finally [4] showed 0.5% to 1.2% introgression of Sub-Saharan African genes into the European American gene pool.

The main conclusion to be drawn from these studies, is that Caucasoids of European descent have negligible traces of non-Caucasoid maternal admixture. Sub-Saharan African traces of such ancestry are found at levels of about 1% in many populations. But not in Greeks(a).

References
Richards et al., Tracing European founder lineages in the Near Eastern mtDNA pool. American Journal of Human Genetics, 67, 1251-1276. Online paper and supplementary data in Vincent Macaulay's home page.
Michele Belledi et al., Maternal and paternal lineages in Albania and the genetic structure of Indo-European populations, European Journal of Human Genetics, 8, 480 - 486 (01 Jul 2000)

Giuseppe Passarino et al., Different genetic components in the Norwegian population revealed by the analysis of mtDNA and Y chromosome polymorphisms, European Journal of Human Genetics10, 521 - 529 (23 Aug 2002)

Esteban J. Parra et al., Estimating African American Admixture Proportions by Use of Population-Specific Alleles, Am. J. Hum. Genet., 63:1839-1851, 1998
(a) This author does not believe that there is anything wrong in principio with either African or other non-Caucasoid influences in any European population, including the Greeks.

Best regards..

Isk.

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 17:44
I think someone will have nightmares after reading your post.
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 18:04

Aeolus

Propaganda nas nothing to do with my philosophy  .Propaganda  or  time waisting is something what I do not agree with ,and I  always will skipped over it as well. Specially at the forum messiges boards disscusions over different view is what make the forum don't you think  so ?

Please do not blame me for it .

In our case, the author of the topic is visiting different forums, posting the exact same topic you read here which is taken from a propagandistic site...nothing else!!!  No personal opinion posted from the author, no reply from his side to these who will comment on his topic as its obvious anyway in this topic. Plain and simple.

In this case some obligations what has came fwr has take a bit of my net time ,and I am sorry been behind

Fact that I am visithing different forums posting the exact text could mean that author would like to make some parts of his phillossophy more clear trought the conversations  facing the different options.

No personal opinion

[/qoute]

How do you mean that ?

This should deny your blaming over me as

[qoute]

[/qoute]

iskenderani

[quote]

Some scientific facts.....that cannot be denied , by anyone , either Makendonski , or Turanian..

For the matter  I do not understand I can not take a part about your's post i and the part  about ,they're some research's given at this site as well.

saying something as subsaharian origin o the Greeks nation according of Dnk research made in Madrid and if you are interesting you could take a look and ask the author of the web-site about that .

Greek mtDNA

http://makedonika.com/

Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 18:38

Originally posted by Phallanx

First of all I suggest you start quoting someone that CAN translate what he reads instead of this twit

According to the Persians best informed in history

Herodotus, doesn't say that. He clearly uses the words:

"Perseon men nun oi logioi"
 that means:
"The Persian wise men"

NO reference to best informed as you think.

Do you understand what you're reading??????
The "This people........... of Hellas"
has NOTHING to do with the Hellines, Herodotus is repeating what the Persian wise men told him about the origin of the Phoenicians and NOT the Hellines.

I have to admit that the way how I understood the previous line's  were on the way :

-(At the time when) Phoenicians began to quarrel.This people who had formely dwelt on the shores of Erytraean Sea ..

...has make me a picture of two different ethical groups where the second use to be hellenistic one

I have been past those lines for a lot of times and it was bit strange

and even knowing about what historical sources are saying for the origin of the Phoenicians

because of this :" Red Sea, ancient Sinus Arabicus or Erythraean Sea"

could be reached from the side of Africa as well as from the Arabian Peninsula ,what from the other hand giving the way of peoples migration from the south to the north from Africa to Europe ...

thx for your reply about  that parts

Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 18:42

The rest of your post, and comparing Hellinic words to your Slvo-Bulgarian language is nonesense.

You should start off with explaining why you still use the Cyrrilic alphabet and then attempt to make connections.

According to some think what happent

I am claiming that something else is nonesence like

naiming to my alphabet as Cyrilyc with out nice and strong arguments

naiming my languages ,and someone's else as  Slavo bulgarian ?

What Slavo's?

Those behind Carphatians ones ,what are living in to the theory of so called "South Slavic migration" ?

What Bulgarian ?

What Slavo-Bulgarian ?

We have got Ottoman Turks at the Balkan Peninsula for how long ?

Does the world remmember anything like symbiose between say Turkish and Greek language on the way that from both of them had become the very third one what will be the same for all the Turkish and all the Greek's population?

Is they're any  Turk-Greeks after those years ?

Than how came that we have Slavo-Bulgarian ?

My Macedonian  language and comparation what I am making out of it ?What part's are nonsence ?Can you pointed me as well as you pointed the lines at your previous posts?

Why you are talking of nonsence

can you explaine it as well as you are giving  it before?

Or maybe facing your self in the front of our language is nonsence by its self ?

Is it sound for the  roman letter H written as X in my language nonecence ?

Is  it's bisonante forms of Ks nonesence ?

Fact's as a smartest way you say...

Isn't it a fact that hellens are imigrant's at the Balkan Peninsula ?

I do not think so

Fact is that some different tribes have had arrived at the Balkan where they had  the "nickname "of Hellenes .

Why ?

Because ,no one had made an evidence  in the history that Hellens had arrived

.All we have is amount of differencies :

-Acheans what  have had arrived

-Dorians what have had arrived

-Ionians what have had arrived

-Eolians what have had arrived

but

Hellens had NOT been arrived .

never ever

Why ?

As simple as  that  There is NOT Hellenistic motherland ,or we do not know jet ,from where Hellens had come at the Balkan peninsula.

There in NOT Hellenistic Language,no body speak about it .Instead ,they are dialects only.

There is NOT Hellenistic anything before the tribes had arrived at Balkan peninsula.

After the tribes had arrived ,than we could ask ourselfs

Who are the Hellens ?

possible meaning for this word I have based on my Macedonian language and it's verb as a ground

Possible meaning what  you are provide is based on mythology

Edited by Homer MakeDonski
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 18:56

Originally posted by Homer MakeDonski

Aeolus

Propaganda nas nothing to do with my philosophy .Propaganda  or  time waisting is something what I do not agree with ,and I  always will skipped over it as well. Specially at the forum messiges boards disscusions over different view is what make the forum don't you think  so ?

Please do not blame me for it .

You say propaganda has nothing to do with your philosophy but yet you admit that you are going to different forums, posting the exact same text. Have you read the definition of the term "propaganda" which i posted above? If no, go ahead.

In this case some obligations what has came fwr has take a bit of my net time ,and I am sorry been behind

Fact that I am visithing different forums posting the exact text could mean that author would like to make some parts of his phillossophy more clear trought the conversations  facing the different options.

So according to you, if i visit several forums posting nothing else than an article which claims FYROMIANS are e.g gypsies it wont be propaganda from my side but an attempt to "make some parts of my philosophy more clear through discussions with people having different views"

For the matter  I do not understand I can not take a part about your's post i and the part  about ,they're some research's given at this site as well.

I fail to understand what you mean by this. Before i misquote you, please elaborate.

saying something as subsaharian origin o the Greeks nation according of Dnk research made in Madrid and if you are interesting you could take a look and ask the author of the web-site about that .

Greek mtDNA

http://makedonika.com/

I dont know what is your philosophy about posting sources, supporting your claims, but providing a link from a biased and one-sided site doesnt give you any validity at all on your claims.

Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 23:02

Aeolus

I will try again to explaine myself more clear

Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 15:08
Originally posted by Homer MakeDonski

What Slavo's?

Those behind Carphatians ones ,what are living in to the theory of so called "South Slavic migration" ?

What Bulgarian ?

..... Slavo's, or Slavs, are the name given to the people who speak a group of languages which come from a common ancestor-language, which in turn derives from proto-Indo-European. The Slavic languages are classified into three main groups (the eastern, western and southern Slavic languages). Eastern languages are for example Russian, Ukrainian and Belorussian, western Polish, Chech, Slovak and Sorbian, and southern Sloven, Serbocroat, Macedonian and Bulgarian.

It is not a theory. It is a fact. In the 630's, masses of Slavic-speaking people arrived at the Balkan peninsula invited by the Byzantine king Herakleios II, to defend the land against the Avar confederacy. Later, the languages were "separated" from the rest of the Slavs first by Bulgars, then the Magyars.

Bulgarian is a language which developed from the 8th century onwards, and was adapted among the originally Turkic tribe of Bulgars, who came from the Volga area.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 09:42

Topic closed,

Homer M, if you want to contribute, you're welcomed. If you want to copy/paste rants and then disappear from all inteligent discussion, not!

So far your only contribution to this forum is nationalistic copy/pasting!

Next time I'll reffer this to the moderators forum with the question of ban.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply