Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAll Empires Magazine is looking for Contributors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Empires Magazine is looking for Contributors
    Posted: 24-May-2011 at 18:26
I most highly await some responses!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 24-May-2011 at 18:26
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 20:57
Patience Ron...let them digest it.Wink
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 21:53
Having been a lurker (due to a slow dial-up connection at the time), I can attest to the damage penguin afflicted on the Americas section. I n fact I left in disgust myself, until I got high speed and found this site. The .net site is a waste and retains all of the penguin garbage. My experience here and on other forums is that there is a very small interest in mesoamerican history and archeo. Nevertheless:

Default Lakota Warrior Societies

Among the Lakota there existed several Warrior Societies. From some of these, prominent men were chosen to serve in the a
Aki'cita, a tribal police force, or guard unit, if you will. They also were responsible for the order of the annual Buffalo hunt.
The main function of these societies was for the training and development of fighting skills and the warrior ethos. Moral character was also cultivated and taught.

Kangi'yuha, Crow owners society- Were a prominent group who was eligible for service in the Aki'cita. Members were proven warriors who emulated the crow, in that they strove to be first in striking in battle, as the crow was first to fall upon dead warriors on the field. With arrows that flew straight, as the crow and with a stuffed crow worn around the neck in battle. They also were chosen to search out winter camps.

Toka'la, Kit Fox Society- another prominent Aki'cita society, wore a fox skin around the shoulders, head hanging in front and tail down the back. Warriors were expected to pledge bravery, generosity and honor, in all affairs. They were renowned for concern and good acts within the tribe in peacetime and in war. They were noted as volunteers for whatever the tribe needed done.

Cante'tinza, Strong Heart Society-Members pledged self-control in ther thoughts and actions. Emotional stability as well, and to care for the poor and needy. Often seen wearing a feather headress with buffalo horns on the sides. Another Aki'cita eligible society.

Ino'ka, Badger Society-Also Aki'cita eligible, the order was founded by a man who dreamed a badger, and pledged to take on th aspect of the fearless badger. So, the society was renowned for extreme ferocity in battle, and fought fearlessly despite the number of the enemy. They displayed crooked lances wrapped in wolf skin and otter fur on the wrists and around the neck. It is said they embedded mirrors in the otter fur to reflect the sun and blind the enemy in battle.

Wi'ciska, White Marked Society-They wore feathered headdresses, trailing to the ground and the members were hardened veterans. They collected white, black tipped eagle feathers, as honors in battle.

Sotka'yuha, Bare Lance Owners Society-Often comprised of younger warriors, the bare lance was symbolic of a warrior waiting to collect war honors in battle.

Miwa'tani, Mandan Society-Also called the owl headdress society. Admission was difficult in that each member pledged to sacrifice his life, if need be, to save a wounded comrade. They wore a long sash which they would stake into the ground, pinning themselves so they could not retreat in a desperate battle. They would fight to the death and not submit. They could only move from the spot if a fellow Mandan member released them.

Sunk'ska akan'yanka, White Hose Riders Society-These were battle veterans who made markings on their white horses to display their valorous acts to enemies. They also fed the families of incapacitated warriors.

Oma'ha. Grass Dance Society-the traditions originated with the Omaha tribe. They danced ceremoniously, the Grass dance, for healing, and the Horse and Kettle dances.

It was not uncommon for warriors to belong to more than one society as he progressed in life, but was only a member of one society at a time.

Wi'ciska:
Click the image to open in full size.

unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 21:55
Aztec Warrior societies.
Being a highly militarized state, warrior societies played an important part in the social structure, as a way of achieving status and improving ones place in the social order. All male children, beginning at age 15, were given organized military training. Commoners received their training at the Telpochcalli school. Youths who did well there were taken on campaigns by veterans as shield bearers and other tasks. At the age of 20, successful young warriors were taken into the ranks of the infantry as warriors and were sponsored by older veterans.
Young Nobles received more advanced training at the Calmecac school. They began their training from the ages 6-13. They were also trained in intellectual pursuits and Priests also trained there. The sons of Kings entered at the age of 5.
Like commoners, training ended at age 20. They had the advantages of better equipment and weapons as well as continued cultivation from Elite veterans.
For a commoner to advance in rank and status, he was required to perform acts of valor and capture prisoners for sacrifice. Enough of these and he could be allowed into one of the warrior societies. A commoner who captured enough foes and exhibited the valor to be admitted were called, Cuaupipiltin. 'roots remembered'. Now nobles, they were ranked below Nobles by birth. This was a relatively uncommon occurrence however, as the training and weaponry of the Nobility were far better and ensured better results in battle.

Admission for commoners to the order of the Eagle or Jaguar, the two largest of the orders, required the taking of 4 or 5 captives, depending on the status of the captive. Nobles could be admitted as soon as training in the Calmecac was finished.
Warriors of the eagle society wore a feathered helmet with an open eagle beak. The Jaguars wore a full suit made of jaguar skins, and their faces protruded from the open Jaguar mouth. Members of these orders were exempt from taxation and paying tribute. They attended War Councils, were allowed concubines and participated in cannibalistic feasting.
The Otontin were an Elite order that required the taking of 5 or 6 captives to gain admission. This was a fierce group that was battle hardened and was often used as shock troops.
The highest order of all were the Cuahchicqueh, 'the shorn ones'. They presented shaved heads with only a short braid wrapped in red ribbon that hung above the left ear. They painted half of their head blue and the other red or yellow. They were the elite of the warrior castes and pledged to never retreat in battle until victory or death. It was from this society that the highest ranking commanders were chosen. To gain admittance to the order one had to take many captives and perform more than twenty acts of valor. These were the Elite of Aztec society.

unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 21:56
Maya Roadbuilding in the Yucatan
Many cities of the Yucatan Maya, and other sacred sites, were connected with a network of raised stone roads. Remnants of these Sacbeob or 'white ways' can be seen today at the Maya cities of Chichen Itza, Coba, Uxmal and others. Some of them have been incorporated into modern roadways, but most of them have been covered with jungle and are hidden from view. The roads were mostly built with limestone blocks and rubble fill, coated with a white limestone stucco. They generally are elevated from 1 to 1.5 meters and were leveled, which must have taken intense effort and seems to highlight the symbolic aspect of them. Used heavily for commerce and travel, the roads were also very sacred to the Maya.
Spanish chroniclers left records of these roads, Diego Lopez Cogolludo recorded in 1688, "There are remains of paved highways which transverse all this kingdom and they say they ended on the east on the seashore...so that they may arrive at Cozumel for the fulfillment of their vows, to offer their sacrifice, to ask for help in their needs, and for the mistaken adoration of their false Gods".
Considering that the Maya had no beasts of burden or even used wheeled carts, the spiritual importance of these labor-intensive and carefully built roads, is easily highlighted. At the ends of some roads, such as at Labna and at Kabah, large arches were built with religious iconography. Having walked one of the sacbe at Coba, which runs 62 miles to the city of Yaxuna, I can assert the amazing aspect of these ancient highways.

The Arch at the terminus at Kabah:

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 22:06
Unclefred, thanks for the wonderful information and photos!

I much appreciate them!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2011 at 11:27
Thanks Ron. I found your theme of the 300 interesting The Evil Gate and The Hot Gates- interesting.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2011 at 12:53
Originally posted by unclefred

Having been a lurker (due to a slow dial-up connection at the time), I can attest to the damage penguin afflicted on the Americas section. I n fact I left in disgust myself, until I got high speed and found this site. The .net site is a waste and retains all of the penguin garbage.

I studied Mesoamerican archaeology along with pre-roman Britain as my two main subject areas. After a while I stopped bothering to post on the topic as every time someone tried to say something sensible Pinguin either spammed them out immediatly posting two full pages of pictures or deliberately made a post attacking them for saying something completely different to what they said. He was a racist moron, a nd had no concept of theory or putting argument forward to add information, if someone said, there is a theory, he would reply to them as if they were a devout believer word for word of what they said, only a fundementalist nutjob can do that. A lot of racist morons join forums and get banned in days, with him the mods let him go on for months seeing nothing wrong with him. I tend to blame the mods not him.

Edited by Toltec - 25-May-2011 at 12:57
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2011 at 13:24
Originally posted by Toltec

Originally posted by unclefred

Having been a lurker (due to a slow dial-up connection at the time), I can attest to the damage penguin afflicted on the Americas section. I n fact I left in disgust myself, until I got high speed and found this site. The .net site is a waste and retains all of the penguin garbage.

I studied Mesoamerican archaeology along with pre-roman Britain as my two main subject areas. After a while I stopped bothering to post on the topic as every time someone tried to say something sensible Pinguin either spammed them out immediatly posting two full pages of pictures or deliberately made a post attacking them for saying something completely different to what they said. He was a racist moron, a nd had no concept of theory or putting argument forward to add information, if someone said, there is a theory, he would reply to them as if they were a devout believer word for word of what they said, only a fundementalist nutjob can do that. A lot of racist morons join forums and get banned in days, with him the mods let him go on for months seeing nothing wrong with him. I tend to blame the mods not him.

I warned everyone when he first showed up.  I had done a quick google on and found he'd been banned for racism on 2-3 other forums.  There seemed to be an attitude of support for him from certain mods from the start.
There were certain mods who actually encouraged him, and protected him when the fecies hit the fan.  As he began to realize this, he became outrageous.   He even suckered in somone of reasonable intelligence, Edgewaters.  He became as much of an a*****e as Pinguin.  And I might mention, was made a mod after I left.
I blame both Omar and the Staff, beginning with Seko.  He was as much of a supporter of Pinguin as anyone else.

Controversey and opposing points of view is what a forum like this is about.  To sort out and discuss.  When you have someone like Pinguin, their refusal to even consider an alternative opinion and resorts to ad hom attacks and other devices, it stifles a free exchange of ideas.

People also get damn tired of seeing "It's a Hoax"  and quickly lose interest.  While I was still a mod, I know of at least 8 good posting members who were lost because of his garbage.  Sander was one of them.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2011 at 13:35
Actually I was refering to another forum he infected. But your insight into the past of this forum is appreciated.

Edited by Toltec - 25-May-2011 at 13:52
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Historum joker, suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2011 at 10:55
We didn't have much of a problem amongst the moderator team where Pinguin was concerned. We were pretty much unanimous in our view that he had to go.
The problem we were confronted with was when a handful of newbies joined the forum and immediately set about attacking every thread he posted in. We received several complaints from long standing members in regards to the bully-boy tactics being employed by these outsiders/newbies.
I was of the opinion that it was these attacks that resulted in Pinguin's growing popularity amongst the membership of Historum.

For obvious reasons, the moderators couldn't be seen to be backing down to a lynch mob. Otherwise it would have led to other members employing the same tacticts at a future time when a member they didn't approve of ? joined the board.
Hence, our decision to deal with the lynch mob first and then deal with Pinguin.

We contained/isolated Pinguin to the time out room or St. Helena as it came to be known and over the course of time, his popularity started to fade.

In short, rather than stringing him up. We gave him enough rope to hang himself.

Imo. the mods at Historum dealt withe the situation very intelligently and with as few casuaties as possible.
Of course. I am somewhat biased here...

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 09:47
Originally posted by Toltec

Actually I was refering to another forum he infected. But your insight into the past of this forum is appreciated.

That may be true, but the behavior you described is identical to what he displayed here.  Insight? It wasn't insight, it is experience.
Pinguin was the cause and catalyst for me resigning from All Empires in Nov. 2009.  Lets be real clear about that.  He wasn't the instigator but he was used by a certain group of Mods.  So we will just let that part of the story go by.  Not appropriate now.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 10:05
Originally posted by PADDYBOY

We didn't have much of a problem amongst the moderator team where Pinguin was concerned. We were pretty much unanimous in our view that he had to go.
The problem we were confronted with was when a handful of newbies joined the forum and immediately set about attacking every thread he posted in. We received several complaints from long standing members in regards to the bully-boy tactics being employed by these outsiders/newbies.
I was of the opinion that it was these attacks that resulted in Pinguin's growing popularity amongst the membership of Historum.

For obvious reasons, the moderators couldn't be seen to be backing down to a lynch mob. Otherwise it would have led to other members employing the same tacticts at a future time when a member they didn't approve of ? joined the board.
Hence, our decision to deal with the lynch mob first and then deal with Pinguin.

We contained/isolated Pinguin to the time out room or St. Helena as it came to be known and over the course of time, his popularity started to fade.

In short, rather than stringing him up. We gave him enough rope to hang himself.

Imo. the mods at Historum dealt withe the situation very intelligently and with as few casuaties as possible.
Of course. I am somewhat biased here...

I believe the time frame you speak of was when Pinguin was suspended from .net.  It was supposed to be a year, but the staff renigged and let him back after 4 mons.  During this time he showed up her as "Pachuatooey" or whatever.  I knew immediately who it was.  We even let him post for awhile, until the same strange effect started.  People started to support his BS.  I even got nasty PMs when I banned him after 2 weeks.
But going back to the original subject, Paddy, Pinguin joined AE about the same time I did.  So he was an established member at the time.  That made it difficult to control him under any circumstance.  However it became clear eventually that Seko and his "Aussie Hit Squad" didn't want to control him.
You folks did an excellent job of dealing with him, however you didn't have the resistance I dealt with.

Unknown.
PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 10:33
You figured out that Pinguin and Pachooatooy, or whatever ? were the one and same..No way man, gimme a break !  LOL

Seriously, we had been watching what was happening here and had some idea of what to expect.
Having said that, he was still a difficult customer to deal with. Smile
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 14:17
Originally posted by PADDYBOY

You figured out that Pinguin and Pachooatooy, or whatever ? were the one and same..No way man, gimme a break !  LOL

Seriously, we had been watching what was happening here and had some idea of what to expect.
Having said that, he was still a difficult customer to deal with. Smile

Well, it wasn't a hard one to figure.  I think it was about 2 hours after he joined I got a bunch of PMs all cheerfully announcing his arrival.  Knowing fully who he was, I still pmd him.  Basically stated if he behaved himself he could stay.  Cyrus and I have this unofficial "amnesty" policy.  We will let someone like that in, but it's up to them to show us they have earned the right to stay.  With Parachute or whatever his alter was, Omar only took about 2 days to show me he had no intentions of behaving.  But his behavior wasn't noticeable immediately to others.  So it took a couple of weeks, more than fair, for his true self to come out.  I actually like some things about the deluded little maroon.  To be fair, there are some things he's very knowledgeable about.  It's the spells he has where he uses the old "if you can't dazzle them with Brilliance, Baffle them with Bulls**t" routine that always starts trouble.  That, plus his racist crap and his blatant hatred for  anything "Nord Americano"  [his spelling]  would be enough for most forums to give him the boot. 
But he seems incapable of understanding that if he could abide by the basic rules of debate, the first being mutual respect, we would have allowed him to stay.

Edited by red clay - 27-May-2011 at 19:15
Unknown.
PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 17:21
Originally posted by red clay

Well, it wasn't a hard one to figure.  I think it was about 2 hours after he joined I got a bunch of PMs all cheerfully announcing his arrival.  Knowing fully who he was, I still pmd him.  Basically stated if he behaved himself he could stay.  Cyrus and I have this unofficial "amnesty" policy.  We will let someone like that in, but it's up to them to show us they have earned the right to stay.  With Parachute or whatever his alter was, Omar only took about 2 days to show me he had no intentions of behaving.  But his behavior wasn't noticeable immediately to others.  So it took a couple of weeks, more than fair, for his true self to come out.  I actually like some things about the deluded little maroon.  To be fair, there are some things he's very knowledgable about.  It's the spells he has where he uses the old "if you can't dazzle them with Brillance, Baffle them with Bulls**t" routine that always starts trouble.  That, plus his racist crap and his blatant hatred for  anything "Nord Americano"  [his spelling]  would be enough for most forums to give him the boot. 
But he seems incapable of understanding that if he abided by the basic rules of debate, the first being mutual respect, we would have allowed him to stay.

I know, I know.

Round about 2006? I joined a forum which eventually merged with AE. I can't remember the name of the forum, but you were the moderator. There was a guy called Stuart (I think? he was a Glaswegian) who kept posting current affairs articles ? To fill space on the board, which is why I left and went to Historum.
Anyways, I found you to be an exceptionally fair moderator (no BS here) so there is no need to explain yourself to me. I was merely trying to explain why the mods at Historum took so long to ban the Pinguin.
I don't want to mention any names here, but at the time we were trying to deal with Pinguin, we were also trying to deal with an other member who was causing the board even more problems than Pingy. This other member was the best BS'er I have ever met and had the membership completely suckered. So, we were trying to deal with two big problems, back to back...

At the time, the admin and mods also took the view that every member was a cherished asset to the forum and we were very reluctant to ban anyone. Banning Pinguin may have lost us some valued members. Not banning Pinguin may have lost us some valued members. In other words, we were walking on eggshells..

Sometimes the members aren't aware of all that is going on behind the scenes and assume that the mods are completely incompetent or whatever. So basically, what I'm saying here is that banning Pinguin wasn't as simple and straighforward as some may think.

I would just add here, that if you're mod team were devided over the Pinguin fiasco, then you're problems would have been even greater than ours. Just want you to know that I understand that.

michael seabrook View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2011 at 11:53
firstly hello
 i belive aincent sites around the world are all linked togeather and follow the same pattern
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2011 at 12:21
Mr Seabrook,you should register with us and further explain your theory
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Tiger of Kai View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 13:13
Originally posted by roosevelt92

Originally posted by Tiger of Kai

If you guys want anything on Japanese history, I could maybe contribute.

why the atom bomb drop on Japan?

That's probably more of an American history question.Big smile

I have my own thoughts on the bombings, but this definitely isn't the place for them.LOL
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 13:19
Are you envoy about it?Why did it not drop in my courtyard?Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>