Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Goodness, gracious! Great balls of fire!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goodness, gracious! Great balls of fire!
    Posted: 18-May-2011 at 20:36

This highly irreverent exclamation (made famous by Jerry Lee) refers to Pentecost. The Holy Ghost (taking the form of tongues of fire) appeared to the Disciples and gave them the power to speak other languages.

What exactly did they encounter in the room that day? Rational explanations include ball lightning, a small meteor crashing through the roof, or simply the ramblings of a group of drunk and drug-addled dropouts.
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2011 at 20:48
Hysteria-delusions-Et's-explainable phenom unknown then but relevant now and or

the real deal.Wink

I've seen some seriously wierd shitze in my semi-long life but never tongues of fire.

YOU be the judge.

personally I'll go with the real deal.

Thanks

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 18-May-2011 at 20:48
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Michael Collins View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian
Historum joker, suspended

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 15:50
I'm going with a real deal. Skepticism is becoming a religion in of itself.
Is í labhairt a dteanga an moladh is mó is féidir linn a thabhairt dár namhaid.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 16:06
Ancient shamans and religious groups, used lot of opiates those days.Consequences could be found inside books that have described users experiences. 
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 16:35

Doubtful that these founders of Christianity based on their Jewish heritage were using opiates Mede.

Any thing's possible but in this case..doubtful. Their 'high' were those tongues of fire.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 19-May-2011 at 16:35

S. T. Friedman

unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 17:06
It was shortly after that day that Peter preached to the assembled crowd and 3000? repented in one day. The joy and exultation of the people brought cynical onlookers to suggest they were drunk, but others said no, it's early in the morning, dude. The power of the Spirit is awesome to behold.
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 18:02
Wait, the fire tongues came from a bird or is that just the artist's perception?
Timidi mater non flet
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 18:21
The legendary 'dove of peace' a pictoral representation of the Christ...I can't recall if there is a crown on it's head.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 19:19
From the description i think the phenomenon they encountered was ball-lightning. It could have blasted the door open, shot around the room and given off sparks that descended upon the Disciples.
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2011 at 07:24
Originally posted by Nick1986

From the description i think the phenomenon they encountered was ball-lightning. It could have blasted the door open, shot around the room and given off sparks that descended upon the Disciples.

You're so sceptical you're trying to prove that a ball of lightning blasted the door open and started flying around their room! No, it's the real deal, jesus came flying from the heavens and gave them a nice warm jolt to be remembered Wink
Timidi mater non flet
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2011 at 09:14
Anyone who has spent a prolonged time at sea can tell you what ball lightning and St Elmo's fire can do.  Ball lightning is capable of doing things like blowing a door open.

It isn't skepticism.  Knowing nature gives you a rational non emotional explanation.

Edited by red clay - 20-May-2011 at 09:18
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2011 at 09:27
 I think Nick has confused something here.  The deciples weren't given the ability to speak other languages, they were given the ability to speak in "Tongues", the supposed "original language".

"Tongues of fire", could be they got take out from " Izzies Cajun Palace".   Big smile  Which would have also produced "tracer bullets" about 8 hours later. 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2011 at 20:38
I think today might be Pentecost

Edited by Nick1986 - 11-Jun-2011 at 20:38
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2011 at 00:36
Nick, just wondering where you got this info.  Quite a few of my rels are Pentecostal, even have a couple of "Snake Handlers" in the mix, never have I heard that expression connected with the Pentecost.  It's pretty much thought to be an expression to supplant something considered taking "Gods name in vain".  Another is "Land O" Goshen"!    
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2011 at 03:39
Rare atmospheric phenomenon had been described there different than fire balls of plasma?We did not know about weather conditions outside indeed!Was there volcano eruption nearby?
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1256/wea.82.05/pdf
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2011 at 18:38
Jerry Lee himself feared the expression was blasphemous. His song was banned from several southern radio stations
Link
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 01:23
Wrong link maybe(maybe notBig smile):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bB5xL577r4
He has seen them for sure...
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 08:09
Originally posted by Nick1986

Jerry Lee himself feared the expression was blasphemous. His song was banned from several southern radio stations
Link

Nick, if you google some, I think you'll find out the reason his songs were banned was due to his marriage to his 13 year old cousin.Wink

"If you've been married 3 times, and still have the same in-laws, you might be a redneck."Big smile

Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 08:30
Former two wifes were also his cousins from same house? 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 21:03
I thought it was the Brits who disapproved of cousins marrying. Lewis' hellraising behavior and love of black music would have been more shocking for conservative southerners
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>