Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Eastern weapons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eastern weapons
    Posted: 17-May-2011 at 20:54
Asia is full of exotic weapons: some weird, some beautiful and many that are deadly. This thread will describe the most notable, starting with the kukri.

This deadly blade, derived from the single-edged swords used by Alexander's Greek troops, is carried by brave Gurkha soldiers instead of a bayonet in a scabbard which also contains a matching knife and fork. The kukhri is heavy enough to chop wood but sharp enough to prepare food. The curved design enables the soldier to cut an enemy's throat, while the grip is widest at the ends so as not to slip from a sweat or blood soaked hand. The notches, now used to open bottles, were originally intended to trap an enemy blade. During the war Kukhris, made by local craftsmen, were often carried by many British and Australian troops in the Pacific and proved invaluable in the dangerous jungles.
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2011 at 21:46
Originally posted by Nick1986

The curved design enables the soldier to cut an enemy's throat
Though I am sure it can be used for that as well, I think the Kukri is primarily a chopping weapon.
The Kukri was originally an all purpose farm tool that could be used the chop wood,  prepare a small patch of ground for planting (Nepalese hills limited large scale farming) etc.  When turned into a weapo, it kept its axe like characteristics.  The curved design focuses the force of a chopping blow on a very small point (similar to an axe). 

Edited by Cryptic - 17-May-2011 at 21:53
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2011 at 21:48
It looks more like a really good throat cutter to me! But everyone to one's on tastes!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2011 at 19:52

The Kris originated in Malaya or Indonesia. These have traditionally been used to settle disputes for centuries. A skilled swordsman could, with a deft twist of the wrist, break the tip of the blade and leave it lodged in his enemy's body.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 19:19

The Khanda is a fearsome Indian sword designed to combat armored opponents. Its grip enables it to be used one or two-handed and the serrated blade is designed to cause maximum damage. However, despite its reputation it wasn't the most reliable weapon. One Rajput king, angered that his army had been defeated, struck a general with a khanda but the man was unharmed
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2011 at 19:45

The Indian Katar is one of the weirdest Oriental weapons. This thrusting dagger, used by Hindu warriors, was often made from broken sword-blades. It incorporated two pistols that could be fired by squeezing the bars together and was sometimes fitted with a guard that enclosed the entire hand.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2011 at 09:38
I have seen a version of that weapon, made in the US about 1850.  The blade was longer, a lot longer and the description I read with it stated the guns were more used to free the blade after a killing thrust. 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2011 at 21:59

Do you have a picture of it? Similar weapons (like this Belgian knife pistol) were used in Europe to kill wounded beasts. These resembled cutlasses or hangers and would be thrust into the boar's neck before pulling the trigger to obliterate its brain
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 20:59

The tulwar is an Indian sword of Persian origin. It was the weapon of Tippu Sultan during his wars against the East India Company. Looking at the blade, you can see where the Brits got the design of their 1796 light cavalry sabre.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 21:38

Fakirs had some particulary weird daggers as their religion prohibited them from carrying conventional weapons. These "fakir's horns" made from spear points were held in the left hand to parry sword-thrusts
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2011 at 13:10

The Fakir's Crutch was an early example of the swordstick. In itself it was unremarkable except for its unusual handle which ensured excellent protection for the user's fingers. The metal sheath was often wielded in the other hand to defend against the enemy's sword
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2011 at 16:27
So, Nick this is but another example of an armoured "walking stick" or "Cane?"
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2011 at 19:39

That's right. The unusual handle enabled the fakir to use his crutch as a seat. Another version had a spike in the handle itself and was used like a mace or pick
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2011 at 19:41
This is a bhuj: the Indian counterpart of the medieval glaive. It consisted of a sword-blade on the end of a long pole. Some had a second spear-point on the other end or unscrewed to provide the user with a long knife and a mace
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2011 at 20:24

Sikh warriors had a special piece of weaponised headgear known as a "fortress turban". In addition to making the wearer look taller and more intimidating the turban could be used to store weapons. An example preserved in the British Museum comprises six types of throwing knife, a garrotting wire, a crescent shaped parrying weapon, and at least seven throwing discs of varying sizes known as chakram
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 20:45

Some Indian swords look very European in appearance. This Tulwar has a similar handle to British cavalry swords of the 18th century
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2011 at 21:27
There are also examples of swords fitted with European blades and decorated with Indian engraving
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2011 at 20:31

Turkish weapons have some beautiful engraving. This double-barreled blunderbuss has precious stones set into the stock
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2011 at 19:24

The urumi is a lethal metal whip usually concealed in a waist sash. Its design enabled the user to strangle an enemy. These had considerable reach and four blades to inflict maximum damage.
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 13:46
Nick already briefly mentioned this but one of the most interesting weapons of India was the chakram. It was basically an aerodynamic throwing disk with very sharp ends. It came in various sizes and had many uses other than simply throwing. Sikh warriors would carry many small and big chakras on their turbans and hands. The small one held in the wrist can be used to twist and break an opponent's arm or even disarm him. When thrown directly they are fatal and if the situation required it then they could be used as a dagger to slit an opponent's throat open.

Here is a full episode of weapon masters where you can pretty much know everything about this exotic weapon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDNw2slOK3Y

Timidi mater non flet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>