Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A heads Up On Something That's Happening,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A heads Up On Something That's Happening,
    Posted: 15-May-2011 at 17:59
These scumbags are very persuasive. They even managed to deceive Pericles into surrendering Historum.
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 17:28
Man, that sounds like a complete bummer.  I like the way this forum is run, and would not take kindly to someone stepping in a messing it up.    I does appear as though the people who made the original offer may not be ethical people, and only a fool would partner with someone who is not ethical.  
PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Historum joker, suspended

Quote PADDYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 17:22
 Give it two or three years and I reckon this site will be more popular than Historum (call it instinct).
When that happens, you guys will be targeted big time. So I'm hoping you will hold out....Otherwise, I'll be looking for somewhere else to hang out.  Cry 

This sort of thing has happened to me on other sites and it sucks to watch a forum grow into a thriving community and then see it ruined by these gits...Angry
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 16:57
Yep good update on what can potentially destroy in detail a blog or chat site. No better example then the Old Simaqian Studio History forum.

To all members... be ever vigilant and report spamm and what might be infiltration efforts by these types as described by Red Clay.

You as members are the first line of defence.

Thanks
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 16:20
Sounds like what happened to historum: the new admins made all these promises to Pericles and offered to sort out his money problems if he sold them the forum. I had my suspicions but foolishly cooperated with the new admins (as any normal moderator would) and even agreed to enforce their rules until it was too late. By the time i saw them for what they were they first removed me from the moderating team, attacked my reputation (digging up dirt from my past and comparing me to a troll called Macedon who had been banned for his extreme nationalism) then banned me (without trial, warning or even consultation of the other moderators) when i tried to warn the other members.
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 12:53
Call those people and talk about further steps according the law inside your country!
http://www.cybercrime.gov/
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 12:14
There are organised advertising outfits out there trying to buy up sites on which to place ads.  Don't confuse this with Google, it's not the same thing.  They aren't nice folks and they could give a damn about the people who are involved with the site.  I believe this is what happened over at Historum.
As the story goes, if they can't buy the site outright, what they do is get an admin to agree to allow them to place ads on his/her site.  Once that happens they inform them that their techs. have to get into the data base to install whatever.  Once in, they give themselves Admin powers.  Once that's done it's all over.  They can gain control and ban anyone who objects.  Sound familiar CV?

Just so everyone's aware, we have been targeted.  I've recieved contact from 2 outfits.  The first letter from them they were "eager and excited".  They couldn't wait, they had a "top paying client", who wanted to be exposed to our clientel.  Follows is part of my reply-

I would be interested in finding out more.  I will state, just to make things clear, AE is not for sale, nor is it open to what's happened at Historum.com.  I say this as I am looking into creating a foundation to insure AE continues.  And also because of your use of the word "partnership".  I've been around the block too many times to not get nervous when I see or hear that word. 

This was the reply-

Thank you for replying to my email. We are very interested in working with you to place ads on your website. Unfortunately the client we had in mind to partner with you has run out of budget.

However we may be able to find another interested client. Specifically we would like to buy text link ads on your site for a flat monthly or yearly rate.

Please let me know if you would be interested in selling this type of advertisement. If so we can begin to look through our stable of clients to find a potential match.

All of a sudden, the client is gone and so is the interest.  Funny thing about that.Confused

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12