Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

God's terrible judgment on Sodom and Gomorrah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: God's terrible judgment on Sodom and Gomorrah
    Posted: 27-Jul-2011 at 14:33
Could Sodom have been destroyed by a meteor? As demonstrated in the Tunguska explosion the impact could have been similar to that of an atom bomb. Everything would have been consumed by fire and the land would have remained irradiated for many years
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2011 at 14:40
Anythings possible Nick  but I am more inclined to believe asteroid blow back effect as cited in this dated but still interesting article........ http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/article3649054.ece

to my knowledge meteors are not as well known for this other then circular crater fashion.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 27-Jul-2011 at 14:46
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2011 at 21:18
The Fomenko Group feels that both of these cities can be visited today near the small volcano that overlooks Naples!

In all of history, as far as I know, there exists only two volcanos that can dupilcate two famous Biblical events, I.e.- the distruction of Sodom and Gomorrah and the volcano that provided a "pillar of smoke during the day and a pillar of fire at night!", as well as some of the events that plagued the Egyptians. You did know that there existed a small river in or near Naples that was called "Nilus", etc.?

The FG, probably considers the eruption of Vesuvius in 1631 CE as the most likely culprit.

Regards,

http://www.vesuvioinrete.it/e_storia.htm

Edited by opuslola - 27-Jul-2011 at 21:22
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2012 at 20:02
The Sodomites weren't always wicked. Abraham was once friends with the king of Sodom and fought alongside him against the Elamites
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2012 at 01:07
Yep... but apparently he was not keen on the idea of association with known sodomites. So where ya might fight for and with one for one day and reason; that isn't necessarily a requirement for continued association. Especially at the personal level and given your inner revulsion as a result of your agreement/s with the almighty.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 21-May-2012 at 01:08

S. T. Friedman

Abudhar View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Abudhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2012 at 09:40

Interesting topic initiated by the ever Active NICK 1986 , please allow me  to complete such relevant data according to both the HOLY QURAN & THE HOLY BIBLE , here is a brief and modest contribution taken from different sources:

*Lot and Sodom and Gomorrah (Lūṭ لوط and "The People of Lot")

*According to the Bible, after visiting Prophet  Abraham, two angels go to the city of Sodom in which Abraham's nephew Lot is a foreigner. They tell him God will soon destroy the city because of the wickedness of the people. The men of the city, upon hearing that Lot is entertaining male visitors, converge upon his house and demand that the men be brought out so that they can have sex with them. Lot offers his daughters in their place, but the men insist upon raping the angels instead. After blinding the city's inhabitants, the angels tell Lot and his family to flee by night and to not look back. The following morning, God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah with a shower of fiery stones from the sky. Lot's wife looked back to see the burning city and was turned into a pillar of salt.

*The story continues further after the destruction of the twin cities, with Lot leaving Zoar (where he had fled for refuge) with his two daughters to live in a cave, as such fearing that all the men were dead, the daughters decided that in order to 'preserve the  seed of their father and procreate they must have sexual intercourse with him and so they  decide to get him into a drunken stupor so as to be able to 'lie with him' and obtain his seed ,and so they each sleep with their father (one each on successive nights), having intoxicated him to a point wherein he could 'perceive not, and thus get impregnated  by him.
*According to the Qur'an, Lot (or Lut, as he is called in the Qur'an) was a Prophet. He was also a nephew of Prophet IBRAHIM OR ABRAHAM , therefore a  group of Angels visited Ibrahim as guests and gave him glad tidings of a son "endowed with wisdom, they told him that they had been sent by Allah to the "guilty people" of Sodom, to destroy themwith "a shower of stones of clay(brimstone) and deliver Lot and those who believed in him. However, Lot's wife was specifically excluded, with the angels saying "she is of those who lag behind.

*Furthermore the Holy Qur'an draws upon Lot's wife as an "example for the unbelievers", as she was married to a righteous man but refused to believe in his words; hence, she was condemned to the hellfire and always according to the Holy Book,the people of Sodom & Gomorrah, to which Lot had been sent with Allah's message, indulged in the  abominable sin of homosexuality upon Lot's exhorting them to abandon their transgression against Allah, they ridiculed him and went to  threaten him with dire consequences.

*Exhausting all pacific means , Prophet LOT prayed to Allah to be saved from doing as they did; when the Angels came to him, he became distressed. Knowing well the character of his people and feeling himself powerless to protect them, he said: "this is a distressful day . when his people—overjoyed at the news of new visitors in the village—came to snatch them away from Lot, he tried to convince them to refrain from practicing their lusts on the male visitors and offered his own daughters in marriage to them in exchange for the visitors release.

But much to his chagrin, the men of Sodom were unrelenting and replied: "we have no need of thy daughters: indeed you know quite well what we want!!! such event is properly described in the Holy Qur'an " they moved blindly in the frenzy of approaching death", Seeing that Lot was powerless to protect them, the visitors revealed to him that they were angels sent by Allah to punish his people for their transgressions. They advised Lot to leave the place during the night and not look back, informing him that his wife would be left behind due to her sinful nature , while (the Angels) "...were about to bring down upon the folk of this township a fury from the sky because they are evil-doers". Keeping his faith in Allah, Lot left his home and the cities during the night with his family and others who believed in him only his wife stayed behind.

*When morning came, Almighty  Allah "turned the cities upside down, and rained down on them Brimstones hard as baked clay, spread, layer on layer, as such  putting an end to the lives of the people and exclaiming: "so taste ye My Wrath and My Warning!" according to the  HolyQur'an,the Qur'an refers to the sites of Sodom and Gomorrah as "signs for those who understand by example", for those who "care to understand" and those who "fear a grievous penalty or a painful doom".

* The story of Lot in the Qur'an ends after describing this event, and thereafter is used by Allah as an example stating "and most surely you pass by them (Sodom and Gomorrah) by the day, and at night; do you not then understand????

In this context , and in an Academic & Scientific approach , we may found some  differences between the Holy Quran & the Holy Bible:

• In the Qur'an, Lot is described a prophet, like his uncle Abraham. In Genesis (Genesis 19:1-29), Lot is not described as a prophet. In the New Testament, (2 Peter 2:7,8) Peter the Apostle describes Lot as a righteous man who was daily tormented by the lawless deeds he saw in Sodom.
  • In both the Bible and in the Qur'an, Abraham pleads for God to have mercy (Qur'an 11-75; Gen. 18:24-33). In Genesis, God agrees to spare Sodom if just ten righteous men can be found there (but they are not found). In the Qur'an, God commands Abraham not to ask for mercy on them. 11-76.
  • In Genesis, Lot's wife leaves with Lot but turns around briefly and God turns her into a pillar of salt (Gen. 19:26). In the Qur'an, there is no mention of her leaving; rather Lot and his followers were commanded by the angels not to turn, but Lot is informed that his wife will turn and look behind (quran hud 11:123), and thus be destroyed with the rest of the two cities.11-81.
  • Following the destruction of Sodom, the Bible describes an incestous event between Lot and his two daughters, at his daughters' behest, in Genesis 19:30-38. The Qur'an does not describe any such event, and Muslims reject any such occurrence.

Seek Knowledge from the Cradle to the Grave-Prophet Mohamed(P.B.U.H)
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2012 at 12:57
According to recent science both towns were in the throwout zone of an asteroid or meteor impact to the North some 500 miles.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2012 at 13:53
I opened this in the hope that some thesis was being proposed for the location of a historical Sodom and Gomorrah. Instead I found a Sunday School discussion. I once read a rabbinical viewpoint of Sodom and Gomorrah which assumed they were fictitious, given the lack of archaeological proof, and instead argued that the stories were put into the bible in response to the gut-wrenching negative reaction that Hellenic culture of the period engendered among observant Palestinian Jews.

I thought that religious proselytizing was frowned upon in this forum.  
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2012 at 14:10
Well, they were nuked so what archaeological remanants are you looking for?
Timidi mater non flet
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2012 at 18:35
Originally posted by lirelou

I opened this in the hope that some thesis was being proposed for the location of a historical Sodom and Gomorrah. Instead I found a Sunday School discussion. I once read a rabbinical viewpoint of Sodom and Gomorrah which assumed they were fictitious, given the lack of archaeological proof, and instead argued that the stories were put into the bible in response to the gut-wrenching negative reaction that Hellenic culture of the period engendered among observant Palestinian Jews.

It is.

But the key there is the prefix phrase-word undue. And at this point, it's not being unduly promulgated necessarily as I and others interpret and enforce the CoC. Nor has there been an undue effort to date by a particular individual promoting a particuar theological ideaology. If that occurs, I/others will know and then take action as necessary. This probably belongs in the Intellectual/Philo-Theo sub. But it's not something I personally, considering that both scientific and or theological explanations have been offered, as member or moderator, am losing sleep over.

ps. I would like to further explore that example of yours reference the rabbibincal explanation... so if you might have a link... would appreciate it.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 21-May-2012 at 18:52

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2012 at 19:43
Originally posted by lirelou

Some historians believe Sodom and Gomorrah weren't real cities but a parable warning of the consequences of immorality. However, archaeologists have discovered the remains of several Bronze Age towns near the Dead Sea with evidence of burning
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2012 at 10:27
So, this story proves that Katebs (Holy Books of Muslims, Christians and Jews) are strongly against homosexuality...
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2012 at 11:43
Originally posted by oxydracae

So, this story proves that Katebs (Holy Books of Muslims, Christians and Jews) are strongly against homosexuality...

Huh!  how'd you get there?
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2012 at 12:09
Science has long suspected that an asteroid impact produced the destruction of S&G, not heavenly retribution.  For some reason we are wired to require explanations for everything.  When a plausible reason for something is lacking, blame it on God.

From Fox news[there are better sources, this was the easiest]

A clay tablet that has baffled scientists for 150 years has been identified as a witness's account of the asteroid suspected of being behind the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Researchers who cracked the cuneiform symbols on the Planisphere tablet believe that it recorded an asteroid thought to have been more than half a mile across.

The tablet, found by Henry Layard in the remains of the library in the royal place at Nineveh in the mid-19th century, is thought to be a 700 B.C. copy of notes made by a Sumerian astronomer watching the night sky.

He referred to the asteroid as a "white stone bowl approaching" and recorded it as it "vigorously swept along."

• Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Space Center.

Using computers to recreate the night sky thousands of years ago, scientists have pinpointed his sighting to shortly before dawn on June 29 in the year 3123 B.C.

About half the symbols on the tablet have survived and half of those refer to the asteroid. The other symbols record the positions of clouds and constellations. In the past 150 years scientists have made five unsuccessful attempts to translate the tablet.

Mark Hempsell, one of the researchers from Bristol University who cracked the tablet's code, said: "It's a wonderful piece of observation, an absolutely perfect piece of science."

He said the size and route of the asteroid meant that it was likely to have crashed into the Austrian Alps at Köfels. As it traveled close to the ground it would have left a trail of destruction from supersonic shock waves and then slammed into the Earth with a cataclysmic impact.

Debris consisting of up to two-thirds of the asteroid would have been hurled back along its route and a flash reaching temperatures of 400 Centigrade (752 Fahrenheit) would have been created, killing anyone in its path.

About one million sq kilometers (386,000 sq miles) would have been devastated and the impact would have been equivalent to more than 1,000 tons of TNT exploding.

Dr Hempsall said that at least 20 ancient myths record devastation of the type and on the scale of the asteroid's impact, including the Old Testament tale of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah and the ancient Greek myth of how Phaeton, son of Helios, fell into the River Eridanus after losing control of his father's sun chariot.

The findings of Dr. Hempsall and Alan Bond, of Reaction Engines Ltd., are published in a book, "A Sumerian Observation of the Köfels Impact Event."

The researchers say that the asteroid's impact would explain why at Köfels there is evidence of an ancient landslide 3 miles wide and a quarter of a mile thick.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,343674,00.html#ixzz1vcC2vZ8q

Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2012 at 19:15
Biblical Archaeology has an article on the historical Sodom and Gomorrah. They believe the original sin cities were located near the modern settlements of Bab edh-Dhra and Numeira
http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2008/04/the-discovery-of-the-sin-cities-of-sodom-and-gomorrah.aspx
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2012 at 15:55
Well, they know where Zoar was.  From there it should be easy.
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2012 at 19:07
As its name suggests, Zoar was originally a small and insignificant town whose main economy was dates before Sodom's destruction
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2012 at 07:52
It still is a small etc.  but it, for some reason survived.  The cave that lot supposedly sheltered in is nearby. 
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2012 at 19:29
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2012 at 22:36
Originally posted by Nick1986

What exactly had the Sodomites done that so angered God? Was it their toleration of homosexuality? Their lack of hospitality? Or their abominable heathenish worship?

A little demonstration of power to put the fear of God in those doubters, sends a scary message.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>