Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Easter Rising 1916 - Ireland's New Beginning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HistoricalShirts View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HistoricalShirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Easter Rising 1916 - Ireland's New Beginning
    Posted: 30-Apr-2011 at 17:18

It was Monday morning the 24th April 1916, when Patrick Pearse stood outside the General Post Office on Dublin’s Sackville Street, and read a proclamation announcing the establishment of an Irish Republic under a provisional government. Few passersby paid attention to this announcement, little knowing that this was the beginning of a week of carnage in Dublin.

Many people in Ireland in the early 20th century had employment and self preservation issues at the top of their priority list, with little time for ideological matters of Irish Freedom. In fact, thousands of Irishmen were already wearing the British Army uniform as they fought in the continental trenches of The Great War, simply to earn a salary for their families back home.

Among the seven signatories of Pearse’s Proclamation of Independence was James Connolly, head of the para-military Irish Citizen Army. On this Easter Monday across Dublin, armed men had taken over key points such as the Four Courts, the College of Surgeons overlooking St Stephen's Green, and Boland's Mills. It was Easter Monday, and there were few people in the centre of Dublin to witness the rising. Many British Army officers had gone to the Fairyhouse races.

Almost all the revolutionary leaders were members of the secret Irish Republican Brotherhood. The outbreak of The Great War in Europe had persuaded them that in England's difficulties lay Ireland's opportunity. As earlier rebels had looked to France for help, they now turned to Germany, which promised to send arms. In addition to the small Irish Citizen Army, formed in 1913 to defend workers against police harassment, there were thousands of Irish Volunteers, a body formed in response to the Ulster Volunteer Force. Like the UVF, the Volunteers carried out a successful gun-running exploit, landing arms at Howth, in north county Dublin, a few days before war was declared.

The Volunteers had been infiltrated by members of the IRB, which had secretly fixed Easter Sunday as the date for the rising. The Volunteers' leader, Eoin MacNeill, only discovered the plan on 20 April. Two days later, he learned that a German ship bringing arms had been scuttled. Realising that a rising was doomed to failure, he cancelled all Volunteer manoeuvres. Despite this setback, and knowing that their forces would be limited to a modest number of Dublin Volunteers as well as the ICA, Pearse and Connolly decided that a rising must take place, if only as a 'blood sacrifice' to arouse the Irish people. 

And arouse the people, it most certainly did. When the rising efforts came to a close the following Saturday with the surrender of Pearse and his comrades, the people of Dublin were furious with the Irish volunteers and the destruction and disorder they brought to the city. However things changed dramatically on the 3rd May, when the executions of the volunteers commenced in Kilmainham Gaol, west of the city.

There was a huge swing in favour of the Irish fighters who had now been martyred by the British government. Unrest in Ireland continued for many years, with people like Eamon DeValera and Michael Collins rising from the ashes of the Rising to lead Ireland to eventual freedom (in part) from British occupation in 1922. The fact that this was a partial victory brought with it a vicious Civil War as Ireland struggled to find it’s identity and maturity in the ever-changing face of the 20thcentury.

Has your family any stories to add to this overview?

* post edited by Moderator. Please ensure you obtain permission from the administrator prior to posting links in your signature. This is sop to deflect spamming. Thanks for your cooperation.

Centrix Vigilis

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 30-Apr-2011 at 19:52
Michael Collins View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian
Historum joker, suspended

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2011 at 23:13
a fine overview, which reminds me,  I forgot to post my little commemoration of the rising as a cultural, political, and social rebellion here, which I have posted elsewhere.
Is í labhairt a dteanga an moladh is mó is féidir linn a thabhairt dár namhaid.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2011 at 11:29

Can ya tell me Sean Nathaniel where the gatherin is to be, "At the old spot, by the River, right well known to you and me".  One thing more, when all is ready, whistle out the marching tune, and a thousand pikes go flashing by the Rising of the Moon.  

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2011 at 12:50
And  a thousand pikes are flashing by the rising of the moon! All along that singing river that black mass of men was seen, high above their shining weapons flew their own beloved green. Death to every foe and traitor, Whistle out the marching tune And hurrah, me boys, for freedom, 'tis the rising of the moon.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2011 at 13:36
Two Irishmen met themselves.Nice lyrics you spoke above!Where do they come from?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2011 at 13:58
Many good men died for just humming the tune.

MC, I'll leave the history to you on this one.  My Gt. Grandmother sang that to me when I was very young, and I only have what she told me to go by.  Btw, she died when I was 10, in 1956, at the age of 98.  So considering that she was born in 1860, she must have seen some things first hand.  They came to the states in the late 1870's.

From what she told me this goes back some 500 years.  And like I stated above, you could get yourself killed for just humming it.  I'm hoping MC has more than that.Big smile

Edited by red clay - 01-May-2011 at 14:16
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2011 at 14:06
This has to be song anthem I suppose!?!Help my ignorance and explain Red?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2011 at 14:26
Okay, MC can correct me, as I'm winging it here.  It was the Anthem, the Battle Hymn  of the Irish Rebellion, all 600 hundred years of it.  It was a rallying cry, meant to stir the emotions.  It does, just reading MC's reply gave me goose bumps. It was so effective that the English banned any form of it. In more modern times a paralell might be found in the banning of "Finnlandia" during the war.

Edited by red clay - 01-May-2011 at 14:30
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2011 at 14:42
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2011 at 02:52
Well, I don't think it goes back as far as that, but yes, you could get yourself killed for singing this during times of stress between Ireland and England. It was one of what the English contemptuously referred to as "scaffold songs", because the Irish rebels used to sing them, while shooting at them (especially during 1916). Another Great one was "God Save Ireland". There was a man called Cathal Brugha, and during the 1916 rising the English through a hand grenade at him. It exploded right beside him, and everyone, friend and foe thought he was dead. Just as his friends were about to surrender Cathal Rises from the rubble with a "God save Ireland said the Heroes!, God save Ireland said they all!", and shot the English back to their positions. They held that spot to the end of the Rising. The Rising of the Moon is a favourite "Scaffold Song", of mine, and others.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2011 at 02:54

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2011 at 03:20
MC,you have moon as national folklore symbol or it's just event here in this song?This banjo had origin here
or in all Irish music?Banjo singer in American movies/music was Irishman also "black" as I see.

Edited by medenaywe - 02-May-2011 at 03:27
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2011 at 03:44

The Rising of the moon is oft cited in a Nationalist sense but otherwise ... I don't think so.

The banjo is in a lot of Irish rebel tunes... I'll link a few.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w8SQtqZXPw&feature=grec_index

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6aJbNx7qVs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeV-VSH8TGk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FGG0dmYJOM

And my personal favourite - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuqmRK_7QfI&feature=related

McGak View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote McGak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 06:31
My favourite Irish Republican song is 'The Boys Of The Old Brigade'.Very emotional, especially around Easter.
Kevinmeath View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kevinmeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 15:15

" In fact, thousands of Irishmen were already wearing the British Army uniform as they fought in the continental trenches of The Great War, simply to earn a salary for their families back home."

Shouldn't that be hundreds of thousands? at least 200,000 and more likely 250,000.

It was traditional in Ireland for poor people to join the British army out of poverty 'the 'conscription of hunger' I think Connolly called it. Having said that it was the same in Britain.
However to claim that the upwards of 250,000 (total Irish population 3 million?) joined out of poverty , well I was going to say dubious but really its simply wrong.

"there were thousands of Irish Volunteers, a body formed in response to the Ulster Volunteer Force"

Well thats not correct now is it, 'Volunteers' formed in response to the formation of the UVF but the 'Irish Volunteers' formed when the movement split as whether to support Redmonds call to support Britain and the war effort or to see 'Englands difficulty, Irelands oppertunity' (a completely false concept IMO). Of the 188,000 volunteers only 13,000 joined the new Irish volunteers, the rest supported 'Home rule' and many enlisted.

"Realising that a rising was doomed to failure, he cancelled all Volunteer manoeuvres. Despite this setback, and knowing that their forces would be limited to a modest number of Dublin Volunteers as well as the ICA, Pearse and Connolly decided that a rising must take place, if only as a 'blood sacrifice' to arouse the Irish people. "

Many of the volunteers did not realise that it was 'Rising' but thought it was simply manoeuvres, they were a 'minority of a minority' and it is far from clear whether they intended it as a 'blood sacrifice', if that was the case why surrender? and why did the 'volunteers actually have comparatively few casualties? 66 died out of 1,558 insurgents.

After all the killings of 1916, --- 1919 start of the war of independence with the vicious killings by both sides, plus a little bit of sectarian conflict, a as you say vicious civil war, what was the result of all this death and destruction? Not much different to ‘Home rule’ that was already been passed into law.

cymru am byth
 Post Reply Post Reply