Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Treacle Mines of Wareside

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Treacle Mines of Wareside
    Posted: 29-Apr-2011 at 19:09
There is a bizarre local legend in the Hertfordshire town of Wareside: mysterious underground tunnels supposedly exist from the town's time as a treacle-mine. Everyone knows treacle is made from sugarbeet, but locals claim prospectors search for veins of treacle to this day. Nobody knows where the myth originated: some say army molasses were hidden at a secret underground location during WW1 while others claim it was a joke by a geologist who compared the thick, sticky clay with treacle
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2011 at 10:52
Nick, I remembered stories my Grandmother told me about treacle mines.  And she was from Scotland.  Apparently the only place in the UK that doesn't have a tradition about this is Yorkshire.

I did a quick google on this and got a mix of things.  One site has the legend going back to before the Romans but another says the legend starts in the 17th cent.  However, I think the modern versions have their roots here- 

Before you rush off to fill in all the forms for planning permission to open up a treacle-mine, it is as well to read more about the Treacle Mines of England. You may feel you should explore other areas first, because treacle mine sites can be found all over England, but not in Yorkshire. If you live in a remote place which could be described as being small and rural, you could be sitting on a treacle mine. For the past century, many village people, that have claimed to have a treacle mine, have become the butt of many jokes, but in times of gloom, the stories told about our Treacle Mines have been very funny - and really it was all part of a big cover-up by the Government !

The tales of treacle mines were given a badge of identity called "blason populaire" by the Political Intelligence Executive in 1899, which was charged, by the Government at that time, with the task of creating an underground resistance movement in case of invasion from an enemy. The P.I.E. agents, known as the Treacle Miners, used the legend of the ancient treacle miners to establish a net work of defences that would act offensively, following an invasion of our country. As the enemy occupied an area, the Treacle Miners would emerge from their mines and carry out as much sabotage as they could to hamper the enemy's movements

Don't hold me to this as it's hearsay from relatives who lived through WWII in Scotland and England, but I have been told that the PIE was reactivated in 1940 and began a program similar to the one that existed in WWI.  About 4 years ago someone found one of the underground bunkers built by the PIE, it was untouched since 1945.

Whenever I encounter anything like this, it's part of my nature to think, why? and what was really happening?  Esp. when dealing with myth, there is always a truth associated with it.
It may not be what you were looking for, but usually there is some reality there.

Edited by red clay - 30-Apr-2011 at 10:56
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2011 at 19:42
Originally posted by red clay

Nick, I remembered stories my Grandmother told me about treacle mines.  And she was from Scotland.  Apparently the only place in the UK that doesn't have a tradition about this is Yorkshire.

I thought I might check this out, and what I found was that Pudsey in west Yorkshire is supposed to have one. LOL
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2011 at 20:02
In a way it's not unlike the legendary 'left handed spacer torsion bar' that young armored crewman and mech scouts are directed to seek out if they want to get approval from their squad sergeant....as it's "quote" necessary to supposedly bring a vehicle back on line and operational.Wink
All day long they look in conexs-part carts- bins-sheds and they even seek out the wisdom of the Master Gunner or Motor Sergeant to obtain the quest. 

Only in the end to realize they have been razzed.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2011 at 22:22
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

In a way it's not unlike the legendary 'left handed spacer torsion bar' that young armored crewman and mech scouts are directed to seek out if they want to get approval from their squad sergeant....as it's "quote" necessary to supposedly bring a vehicle back on line and operational.Wink
All day long they look in conexs-part carts- bins-sheds and they even seek out the wisdom of the Master Gunner or Motor Sergeant to obtain the quest. 

Only in the end to realize they have been razzed.

Ah yes, before I go looking for those sky hooks, I better drink a nice cooling glass of pigeon milk. Wink
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 11:16
And then go fetch a bucket of steam.  Big smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 11:49
Originally posted by red clay

And then go fetch a bucket of steam.  Big smile

You'll have to wait for that bucket of steam, I'm having a little trouble finding a jar of elbow grease. LOL
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 16:05
Hey, we could all go hunting for Snipe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe_hunt

http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 16:26
Originally posted by opuslola

Hey, we could all go hunting for Snipe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe_hunt

I know what, you set off now and when I've finished painting this wall with tartan paint I'll set off too. LOL 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2011 at 07:45
The myth may date back to the Civil War when treacle was buried to prevent its theft by marauding soldiers. If the barrels leaked the treacle would seep to the surface
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
kevg View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kevg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2013 at 16:29
Jam buttie mines in Knotty Ash
never wrong but not always right
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2013 at 18:55
Of course those mines exist.  They are located right next to the BS quarries!  LOL
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
 Post Reply Post Reply