Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What have the Greeks done these past 2,000 years?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What have the Greeks done these past 2,000 years?
    Posted: 20-Apr-2011 at 18:12
Originally posted by Anothroskon

As for the last part this was actually the work of Western scientists as a whole, i.e. they would name species, stars, mathematical operators etc with Greek names out of reverence for the ancient Greeks in most cases even though they had nothing to do with it. Nothing to do with the moderns either of course.

Actually Latin was chosen as the language to name scientific species because they thought it was the least likely language to change in the upcoming centuries and also due to the fact that it was no longer a spoken language.

@Athena, we all agree that christianity was a major inhibitor of scientific development. Yet in this topic we are speaking of the Byzantines who were Orthodox. As I remember, most of the scientific oppression occured in areas where the Catholic church was dominant, places like Italy and Spain. The Orthodox in my opinion were really quite different from their Catholic brethrens. For example, they did not participate in the Crusades since they did not see the Pope as a legitimate authority.

Edited by Baal Melqart - 20-Apr-2011 at 18:20
Timidi mater non flet
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2011 at 19:32

A very good point. Since modern Greeks (mistakenly in my opinion) choose to emphasize their putative descent from the ancient Greeks they have changed their ethnonym from Romioi (i.e. Romans in the sense of the people of Nova Roma/Constantinopl,  not the Latins) to Hellenes that gets overlooked. Another factor adding to that is that both Western historians (to appropriate Roman history as entirely Western) and modern Greek historians (to appropriate  medieval Roman history as essentially Hellenic) subscribe to the Byzantium fallacy.

I agree and like my old history teacher would say the modern Greeks are descendants of the ancient Greeks plus everyone else who came along.

Being half Greek I really connect much more with the Byzantines(Romans) than ancient Greece. I enjoy both histories though!

I have been to Greece three times but I am not sure what their modern day contributions are, but it is a good question.

I know Greek Americans, for being such a small minority, have made major contributions in; science, art and the media.

Some Greek American publication had an article about this but right now I cannot recall which one.

It was either Odyssey or Greek American Magazine-??

Edited by eaglecap - 20-Apr-2011 at 19:34
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Anothroskon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Anothroskon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2011 at 03:11
I agree with your sentimet eaglecap and would like to add that I too feel closer tot the so-called Byzantines (in fact they called themselves Romaioi and their land Romania). If anything we not only share their language but their religion too. All this over-emphasis with ancient Greece may be making us forget where our real roots lie.

Καλή Ανάσταση!

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2011 at 05:40
Why do you deny Byzantine roots Anothroskon?Greeks today have accepted all that connected them with pre roman period but deny Roman period!Phoenicians were Persian merchants that created colonies all around Mediterranean sea.In 525 b.c. almost all coastal area was conquered by Persia and independence of Phoenicians colonies was destroyed.Hegemony was established with Philip 2,high taxes to Persia would had been avoided.In the same time Danayan's king could liberated Danayans lands and population all around Mediterranean till Egypt there homeland(Upper Egypt more precisely).

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2011 at 17:17

Everyone knows about the ancient Greeks and their contribution to the world (which has been appropriated by the West as essentially western) but what about the modern Christian Greeks (or Romaioi/Romioi)? What if any was their contribution since say about 500 AD,(when one can conventionally place the end of ancient Greek civilisation)? What, if anything, have they done for the world?

After they were defeated by Macedonians they disappeared in historical term as an entity
and moved to the background similar to the path taken by many near eastern civilizations after they lost wars and their identity.
The good news is they came back again in the 20th century
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2011 at 11:27
Originally posted by medenaywe

Do not allow Greeks,to push you in conflict with comprehensive dimensions,CV and Athena!?!Let us talk about Greeks and all that they have stolen from other nations history or have contributed themselves for history.
ClapByzantine Empire had many phases different one from other!Yes, people of masters call themselves Romei.(y)This structure was heterogeneous with lot of ethnic groups.Masters were  5% of Empire and
the rest were Vulgaris.V=Beta letter from Greek language.Documents we have about it are talking about
masters and very little about ordinary people.

Thank you for putting this on a more positive footing, because it is my desire to make a point.  This is a very important point that we need to grasp as we make decisions about today's world.  I sincerely hope others read this post that has taken me about an hour to write, because knowing something is not equal to having the words to explain that knowing to another.  

Yes, the Greeks adopted much from surrounding civilizations, but it is what they did with this knowledge that makes all the difference.  It is my understanding from reading books, that they gave us a system of logic that separates the east from the west.   It is my understanding in the east logic is circular and I think this is why the east is known for creating religions.  We can point to the thinkers in Athens, especially Aristotle, and see what linear thinking did to human consciousness.  But he is not the only one who contributed to this new consciousness, and I don't think it became so materialistic until going through Rome.   Before Rome, I think the consciousness would be more animistic. 

My X naturally had a mechanical mind.  In a physics class he could resolve a practical problem none of the other students could resolve. However, he just could not grasp theory.  This is the difference between the vast knowledge Egyptians had in surveying and building, and what the Greeks gave us.  Starting with Euclid and Pythagoras we get theory.  What was developed through math, becomes Aristotle's logic system.    So now with this concept of theory, the Parthenon is not just built well, as the common Egyptian labor could build, but it is adjusted to create visual perfection.   Leading us into Pluto's concept of perfect forms that kind of tweak our perception of reality.  This is a move from concrete thinking to abstract thinking, and that is what these people gave the world.

Byzantine is a whole different thing.  For that matter so are Spartans Greeks who were completely different from Athenians.  No way could the developments in Athens happen in Sparta.  But an unfortunate thing happened in Athens.  This goes with what I was saying about writing and thinking.   Once it is written, there is written authority, and this has both benefits and drawbacks. 

When Athens began expanding and colonizing the region around them, their education became focused on technological correctness.  See the shift in education?  They went from teaching people how to think, to teaching them what to think.  This is deadly to thinking.   Interestingly the US made the same mistake in the same period of time.  That is from liberal education to education for technology, giving us technological and political correctness that did not exist before.   (the history of education can tell us more about history and the human mind, then any other study of history, and I regret there is not a good understanding of where I am coming from, because this study is so unknown.  I now understand the frustration of the first people who saw germs and then to convince people with no bases for scientific thinking that sanitation is important). 

A student who has excellent memory and is good at parroting the teacher, will score high on test.  Unfortunately, the ability to score high on test, does not prove the ability to think abstractly nor does a prove a good understanding of the meaning of what is learned.  That is, the child may score very high on the math test by parroting, but may not be able to advance in math studies, because of failure to understand the theory.    The No Child Left Behind Act puts a priority on good parroting, taking it away from good comprehension.   This means we stand to loose the benefit of what the Greeks gave us.   This has terrible political consequences, and now on to a discussion of international politics and settling differences with guns.  Does anyone get what I am saying?  We can not think the same unless we are educated the same, and those who have a different education will not have the same understanding of reality.   Not just because their basic reality is different, but their ability to perceive reality is different.  
Vagos View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Vagos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 12:47
Hello to all history lovers :D .....        Truely I think  the study of history is one of the most important studies to achieve wisdom and knowledge about the world and the humans...

We must be OBJEKTIVE with all sources and all sides....    Objektivity is the main gift that History can give to the human mind.

Greece in the lst 2.000 years was under Roman rule untill 1453  , than under Ottoman rule untill 1821 and than the ''Greeks'' Romioi  revolted and achieved with help of the Europeans their indepedence....     Greece took part in the world wars and specially in the WW2 with big loses(and the first allied victory against the Axis(Italy) )

Today has Greece many financial problems but I don't think it's a point of this discussion (fact is we hope that we can solve the problems in some years, the key is to think positive)

Historically the Roman Empire survived untill 1453. The people of the late medieval Roman Empire (''Byzantine'') saw themselves as Romans , but they spoke from the 6 and 7century AD the greek language.   The greek language was the international language of the east mediteranian  and even of the whole mediteranian in the prime of the classic Roman empire. Every educated Roman knew ancient Greek.  Racially the Eastromans were mixed (Greeks, Latins, egyptians, Syrians, Thracians, Illyrians , Germanics etc. ) but they saw themeselves as Roman citizens because of the christian religion and the greek language .

They  described their Empire as Romania or  kratos romion (land of the romans) . The Western Europeans described the Eastromans (Byzantines) as Empire or as Imperum Grecorum(because of the Greek language).   The Franks etc. described the Eastromans as Greeks because they claimed forthemselves the title of the divine Roman Empire of God (example Holy Roman Empire )

After the split of the christian churches and after the 1100 and 1200 wars the Eastromans with borders only in lands greek native speakers  they tried to find a new model of understandig themselves .  They fand the ancient Greeks  who were rejekted as idololatrics in eralier centuries.. so they begann to see themselves also as descendants of the Hellenes... Very helpful in this case was the use of the greek language...
I mean the Eastroman Emnpire of 600 AD was not the same with the ''hellenized'' Eastroman Empire of 1300 or 1450 .  We must unerstand this very important point.

After the Ottoman rule the christians Romioi revolted in the south  Balcan.   Many of them spoke the greek language so in the sense of the nationalistic age they saw themselves as descendants of the ancient Greeks(Ancient Greece was at the time very admired from the Europeans and the ancient Greeks very very romanticed in thei views).

Because of this the modern Greeks rejekted the folkloric name Romios . They wanted to use the ancient name Hellinas (Έλληνας).

Sure are some modern Greeks relate with the ancient Greeks but fact is that all nations are mixed. The lanugage and the culture  makes a nation not the ''blood"..

To the achievements of the Eastromans , Ottoman Greeks ,  modern Greeks :  As mentioned above the Eastromans christianiced the Slavics. They formed their first alphabet  and they helped the Renesance movement in Italy...   They also defend the southeastern borders of europe for centuries  :D . The ''greek fire''  of the Eastromans was one of the most amazing naval weapons of the time  and Constantinople was almost invincible in the eyes of the neighbours..

The philosophy and theology of the Eastroman empire influenced the Western theologians, but to  be honest some christians Eastromans also made many crimes agaisnt the pagan populations of the Empire. This was sadly a big loss  for the ancient philosophy and religion.
Vagos View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Vagos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 12:55
ps. I mean they formed the fist slavic alphabet with mixed latin,greek and slavic symbols...

Athena I think you are a little biased....       Aristotle was a great thinker without daubt but many great thinkers existed in the East and in the West.     linear logic ???? Aristotle claimed also that the normal behaviour of the things is the situation of no-movement. He claimed  that the earth is in the center of the Universe ......   both are wrong with the standarts of modern science .... 

Many nations had philosophy and it's a gift for our modern generation that we can study all of them  due to the modern technology.   

About the history of education you 're  right.   We must try to find similarities  between the cultures.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 12:58
Nice to see you here,Vagos!Do you know origin of names,Greece and Greek?Tell me also about time dating of both names in documents(post links here).Regards.
Vagos View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Vagos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 13:24
Hello , it's nice to see people who also love history . I'm not sure but I think the Romans used this term as they were confronted with the Greeks .  

I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Greece

Aristotle and Hesiod use the name Graecus ΓΡΑΙΚΟΣ and  some people in Ipirus called themselves also so.    It seems that the Romans took it from there and generallized it into all hellenic people...

The ancient Greeks called themselves Hellines Έλληνες  or in the Homeric Poems Acheans , Danaens and Argives ( Αχαιοί  , Δαναοί  ,  Αργίτες)  .    

Greetings :P
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 13:36
Brothers Graecus were Roman reformers with disputable social package:land for every soldier of Roman army after they served their service.Were those two from area of Greece today?Maybe land of Greece was
promised land for those reforms?
Vagos View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Vagos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 13:45
What do you mean  with brothers Graecus ????     Give me please historical links to your claims. The name Graecus is also mentioned as I said from Aristotetle and Hesiod , so  those sources are much older than the brothers Graecus ...   But  give me  links to those brothers  ... 
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 13:48
Vagos View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Vagos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2011 at 20:44
Hello medenaywe ! Thanks for your informations.    The two brothers were truely good people with humanistic aims . It's very sad that hey get murdered by the patricians ..  They had a greek education. It's maybe because of this  that they had this name..

We must be very careful with the alleged similiarity of names... the word "Greek" in Latin was GRAECUS .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Greece

The name of Tiberius and Gaius was to be precise GRACCHUS .  I'm not  sure if they are relate.

It's possible that  they took the name because they wanted to give lands of Greece to the poor people  or because of the fact that they had simply a greek education in oraty and  politic science.

I would very happy if I could see scientific sources who back up exactly why they took this name ...

Greetings from Greece :D
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2011 at 20:52
Originally posted by Vagos

Hello to all history lovers :D .....        Truely I think  the study of history is one of the most important studies to achieve wisdom and knowledge about the world and the humans...

We must be OBJEKTIVE with all sources and all sides....    Objektivity is the main gift that History can give to the human mind.

Greece in the lst 2.000 years was under Roman rule untill 1453  , than under Ottoman rule untill 1821 and than the ''Greeks'' Romioi  revolted and achieved with help of the Europeans their indepedence....     Greece took part in the world wars and specially in the WW2 with big loses(and the first allied victory against the Axis(Italy) )

Today has Greece many financial problems but I don't think it's a point of this discussion (fact is we hope that we can solve the problems in some years, the key is to think positive)

Historically the Roman Empire survived untill 1453. The people of the late medieval Roman Empire (''Byzantine'') saw themselves as Romans , but they spoke from the 6 and 7century AD the greek language.   The greek language was the international language of the east mediteranian  and even of the whole mediteranian in the prime of the classic Roman empire. Every educated Roman knew ancient Greek.  Racially the Eastromans were mixed (Greeks, Latins, egyptians, Syrians, Thracians, Illyrians , Germanics etc. ) but they saw themeselves as Roman citizens because of the christian religion and the greek language .

They  described their Empire as Romania or  kratos romion (land of the romans) . The Western Europeans described the Eastromans (Byzantines) as Empire or as Imperum Grecorum(because of the Greek language).   The Franks etc. described the Eastromans as Greeks because they claimed forthemselves the title of the divine Roman Empire of God (example Holy Roman Empire )

After the split of the christian churches and after the 1100 and 1200 wars the Eastromans with borders only in lands greek native speakers  they tried to find a new model of understandig themselves .  They fand the ancient Greeks  who were rejekted as idololatrics in eralier centuries.. so they begann to see themselves also as descendants of the Hellenes... Very helpful in this case was the use of the greek language...
I mean the Eastroman Emnpire of 600 AD was not the same with the ''hellenized'' Eastroman Empire of 1300 or 1450 .  We must unerstand this very important point.

After the Ottoman rule the christians Romioi revolted in the south  Balcan.   Many of them spoke the greek language so in the sense of the nationalistic age they saw themselves as descendants of the ancient Greeks(Ancient Greece was at the time very admired from the Europeans and the ancient Greeks very very romanticed in thei views).

Because of this the modern Greeks rejekted the folkloric name Romios . They wanted to use the ancient name Hellinas (Έλληνας).

Sure are some modern Greeks relate with the ancient Greeks but fact is that all nations are mixed. The lanugage and the culture  makes a nation not the ''blood"..

To the achievements of the Eastromans , Ottoman Greeks ,  modern Greeks :  As mentioned above the Eastromans christianiced the Slavics. They formed their first alphabet  and they helped the Renesance movement in Italy...   They also defend the southeastern borders of europe for centuries  :D . The ''greek fire''  of the Eastromans was one of the most amazing naval weapons of the time  and Constantinople was almost invincible in the eyes of the neighbours..

The philosophy and theology of the Eastroman empire influenced the Western theologians, but to  be honest some christians Eastromans also made many crimes agaisnt the pagan populations of the Empire. This was sadly a big loss  for the ancient philosophy and religion.

My apologies for getting back late to you. But on behalf of the staff and forum welcome here. Obviously from your posts you have a keen appreciate of many things. To include Greek culture and society. Continue to have fun and interact. I appreciate your input.

Thanks
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 01:15
If roman soldiers received land,natives would have been transformed in slaves?This is hypothesis only,of course! 
Vagos View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Vagos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 07:28
Hello Centrix Vigilis , thanks for you kind words. I appreciate this :D  .  I spoke for a long time in youtube about history etc. and then I thought  to go in an official forum about history. I'm sure we are going to have many interesting discusions and debates . I 'm looking  forward it !

Hello Medenaywe  yes this is very interesting hypothese that you thought.   But so far I know the  purpose of the Gracchi reforms was to reduce the land of the rich people and to give it to the poor. So I don't believe that they took land from the poor to give it to the poor, although we must be objektive and not idealize the past.     
It would be helpful if we could find a analytical description of the Gracchi reforms on the internet.   

ps. I apologize for my bad and sometimes poor English . I'm not a english native speaker and  I had not the best relation with the english lesson of the school .  Now I regret this behaviour of me , although I started again the english lessons   but the progress will take months to be sightly
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 07:37
You have excellent English and most of all,You have analytical approach  in History.Balkans people history was reason for conflicts and wars only.There were only stressed differences among nations and avoided similarities!Graecus brothers were probably part of ancient,"socialism" part in Roman history,that had been disputed and forgotten after.Research is on.
Vagos View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Vagos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 09:50
hehe I try the  best I can with  english Thumbs Up !

Indeed  here in the Balcan many people are sadly  very biased and have not a very good stand of education . Because of this they exist many prejudiges and urban legends about us and our  neigbours.  We must hope to get over those bullshit

I think the right name of the brothers is Gracchi, not Graecus .  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gracchi

Truely the world would be a better place if they would exist more men like those two.

About the topic of this forum I found another thing that the Greeks have done , but I'm not sure if it counts. I mean the the save of the greek language .   It's one of the oldest languages if the world and greek influenced Latin in both vocablary and linguistic signs. But I 'm not sure if this argument counts because of a possible cyclear logic .   I mean we are Greeks because of the greek language.  Without it we would be non-Greeks  ..
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 09:56
When did Greek language appear?Creator was know as human?This language and his signs appeared on
Rosetta Stone.Third inscription is with alphabet,today known as Greek.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>