Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Edward Longshanks: Hero or Villain?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edward Longshanks: Hero or Villain?
    Posted: 12-Apr-2011 at 16:32

Contemporary perceptions of King Edward I seem to be strongly divided. On the one hand Scottish people (and fans of Braveheart) see him as a vicious, murderous warlord who conquered Wales, expelled the Jews and tried to take over Scotland.
On the other hand, many overlook Edward's more positive qualities: in addition to being a loving husband and father he reformed the laws so every man got a fair trial, defeated De Montfort and ended the period of civil war inherited from his father, safeguarded England from Welsh attack, limited the powers of the feudal lords, prevented war between France and Spain, reformed parliament so they met regularly, and tried to bring stability to Scotland

What are your views on King Edward?

Edited by Nick1986 - 12-Apr-2011 at 16:33
Galleon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Galleon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2011 at 18:57
For me he is a cruel and a villain, because The film makes Edward I out to be a cross between Stalin and Hitler. This is done mainly for dramatic effect more than historical accuracy. Edward I was one of the most successful and revered kings of England. He never did such things as institute 'Prima Nocte' nor was he a 'pagan' he fought in the ninth crusade in 1270 and returned to England only upon hearing of the death of his father. The first 20 years of his reign marked a high point of cooperation between crown and community. He made great strides in reforming government. Although by the end of his reign he had strained the relationship between crown and nobility by his many taxations in order to finance his campaigns in France and Scotland.

However loved by the English he was detested by the Scots. And just as in all history whether someone is considered a hero or villain all depends on the point of view. Considering Braveheart is told from the Scottish point of view Patrick McGoohan's villainous portrayal fits Longshanks nicely.

Edited by Galleon - 12-Apr-2011 at 18:57
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2011 at 21:11
Who told you he was a pagan? I've never heard that rumor before
Galleon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Galleon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2011 at 14:34
Originally posted by Nick1986

Who told you he was a pagan? I've never heard that rumor before

Hahaha, I have this research report before in high school. Wink
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2011 at 14:43
So the story of pagan king+Merlin looks more realistic now! 
Galleon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Galleon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2011 at 14:44
Originally posted by medenaywe

So the story of pagan king+Merlin looks more realistic now! 

Yep, you're right medenaywe! Tongue
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2011 at 16:16
He was a very complex man in many respects carrying over a real love for his father who had been an incredibly weaker ruler then anyother in the family....up to that point (imo).

He did much for England and his personal prestige.. little for any one else. 

Perhaps understandable given his relations during the Baron's war and then on his borders...as he viewed the Welsh and later Scots actions as threats to his reign not as independence movements.

He proved to be the most capable and strongest ruler since his great grand father.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 14-Apr-2011 at 16:21
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2011 at 16:38
Yes i saw movie "Brave hearth" and only conclusion is that He was more mature about reality in Scotland
in that moment as result of absence of emotions!Life is not romantic story,ruler's never has been since he  existed on the earth!  

Edited by medenaywe - 16-Apr-2011 at 01:43
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2011 at 20:27
It's strange that Edward is regarded as a Stalin when his enemies could be just as bad. The Scots would torture prisoners by tieing bowstrings around their wrists and genitals and the Welsh put entire towns to the sword. Edward's actions were no worse (and no better) than those of his contemporaries
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2011 at 21:38
Edward's actions were no worse (and no better) than those of his contemporaries

And I suspect if I did the research I would find far worse...as I noted he was a complex man...whose ultimate goal was the security of the Plantagenets as the ruling family in the region. He suffered no fools and his achievements can still be more favorably accounted, less his detractions, when one hopes for objectivity.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 15-Apr-2011 at 21:40
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2011 at 22:21
Actually, to be fair, he was amongst the best of Kings! However the worst of Kings, did make him look a lot better!

Just give him a fair chance, against all comers, and I would bet upon him!

regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Kevinmeath View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kevinmeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 14:18
There are not many Kings in the Middle ages who would pass a PC test today, he was seemingly a successful King that would make being nice a bit difficult. Invaded other countries to increase his power and secure his Kingdom, sort of thing a King did in those days.
cymru am byth
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 18:34
Originally posted by medenaywe

Yes i saw movie "Brave hearth" and only conclusion is that He was more mature about reality in Scotlandin that moment as result of absence of emotions!Life is not romantic story,ruler's never has been since he  existed on the earth!  

Since the above was acutally stated upon this site, for one time, and maybe only one time only, I would suggest that medenayne, actually wrote what he felt, rather than mispelliing or mis representing some words that either he or us, might have some probems with.

The key word is "hearth", rather than our modern rendention "heart?"

Perhaps there is/or some other relationship(s), that most of us have missed?

Regards,
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 19:49
Originally posted by Kevinmeath

There are not many Kings in the Middle ages who would pass a PC test today, he was seemingly a successful King that would make being nice a bit difficult. Invaded other countries to increase his power and secure his Kingdom, sort of thing a King did in those days.

And those that did pass the PC test were weak and incompetent (Edward II, Richard II). The Middle Ages were harsh times where only the strongest survived
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
rebelpreacher View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote rebelpreacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2011 at 00:11
In my family,he's a villain,pure and simple. When you have  Scottish blood on both sides,he's a villain.
I'm a son of a son of a son of a son of the south.

If you can't back that thing up best not do it.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2011 at 02:30
In the context of his times he was an excellent ruler. He followed three disasterous kings who had brought the country to near ruin. He had a strong and stable reign. He put the rebellious barons in their place for once and for all. He was a superb general and introduced a weapon, the longbow which would give England military stability for generations. He conquered a neighbouring country adding to his crown, and established complete control over Wales as well ensuring his holdings in France. Finally he made laws and created a stable administration system for the country.

By the way medieval kings were judged at the time, he was seen across Europe as the model monarch.

Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2011 at 16:34
As might be expected, I ditto the post above writen by Toltec!

Well done.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2011 at 21:17
Seconded.
claymore View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote claymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2011 at 17:49
AS  A SCOT I HAVE NO LOVE FOR THIS MAN BUT
AS A COMMANDER AND KING GOOD TO HIS OWN PEOPLE FOR THE TIME
HE WAS A BUTCHER. BUT TO BE FAIR ALL SIDES WERE BRUTAL

REGARDS
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2011 at 20:42
He would probably have been a good king for the Scots, had he successfully crushed the rebels. He brought much stability to Wales and made peace with his French neighbors
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>