Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Baseball Season 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baseball Season 2011
    Posted: 08-Apr-2011 at 14:31
Well, it's spring.  The season stared last week.  While it's still early, some teams look fantastic, most expectedly so.  Some however.......?  What the heck happened to the Redsox?

Under the heading of "really lookin good" The Phills.  Yeah, I'm a Phils fan, but you have to admit, a season opening sweep, for the first time since 1899, followed by taking 2 of 3 from the mets. [the last game being an 11-0 shutout shelling.]  This is the best season start they have had ever.

Next on that list-  The Cinncy Reds.  We'll see where things are come the Allstar break.  But I think it's going to go back to the days when it was "the Reds, the Cards and the Phils, that you have to get past".  At least with the Reds and the Phils.  I see that being an interesting battle through August and September.

TigerofKai, Charge up your defibrilator,Big smile I think it's gonna be a long season for both of us.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2011 at 14:54
Sorry can not follow your topic cause here we play football with foots!?!Big smileHand usage is penal.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2011 at 17:11
Originally posted by red clay

Well, it's spring.  The season stared last week.  While it's still early, some teams look fantastic, most expectedly so.  Some however.......?  What the heck happened to the Redsox?

Under the heading of "really lookin good" The Phills.  Yeah, I'm a Phils fan, but you have to admit, a season opening sweep, for the first time since 1899, followed by taking 2 of 3 from the mets. [the last game being an 11-0 shutout shelling.]  This is the best season start they have had ever.

Next on that list-  The Cinncy Reds.  We'll see where things are come the Allstar break.  But I think it's going to go back to the days when it was "the Reds, the Cards and the Phils, that you have to get past".  At least with the Reds and the Phils.  I see that being an interesting battle through August and September.

TigerofKai, Charge up your defibrilator,Big smile I think it's gonna be a long season for both of us.

Go Rangers.....short of that i'll settle with Philly. Reds? Nope hated em to long. Dodgers? been dead for decades....Diamondbacks would be nice again but your right tis a long ways to go.

Thanks
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2011 at 07:15
I would like to see a world series with the Rangers and Phils.

I thought that's where we were headed last year.Cry

Edited by red clay - 09-Apr-2011 at 12:36
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Tiger of Kai View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tiger of Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2011 at 09:39

Haha! I hear that. Yeah, my Reds started off pretty good. They got thumped last night in Arizona, though. This baseball season has started out perfectly for me. The Reds are good, the Cardinals are already crying and the Red Sox look like crap. What more could you ask for?Smile
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2011 at 12:32
Originally posted by medenaywe

Sorry can not follow your topic cause here we play football with foots!?!Big smileHand usage is penal.

That's because the topic is Baseball, sort of like Cricket, only the players move more and it's possible to view an entire game without falling asleep.Big smile

Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2011 at 10:39
Hey tiger, the Reds are hot hot.  Over last year they needed at least 2 more starters, and defensive help.  Did they fix these?
Unknown.
Knight
Knight

Quote Tiger of Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2011 at 13:10

Hey tiger, the Reds are hot hot.  Over last year they needed at least 2 more starters, and defensive help.  Did they fix these?

Not particularly. We replaced Orlando Cabrera with Edgar Renteria as a back-up SS/2B.

Travis Wood and Mike Leake are starters to start the season. So our pitching is better than last year's at this time.

We've cooled off recently. The Pirates just took a series from us and Mike Leake just got arrested.Angry
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2011 at 13:47
Yeah, I saw the pirates racked up 15 hits against them.  The Phils are leveling out some also.  They got hosed by the Brewers last night.  The Brewers really impressed me.  Good pitching excellant defense and no quit in them.  One main weakness in the Phils bullpen right now is short relief and no closer.  Lidge is on IR.   
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2011 at 08:01
Did I say leveled out?  Man, I hate the early weeks of the season.  Last nite the Brewers held the Phils scorless and piled up 9 runs.  Halladay pitched 7 innings and kept the game in the possible catagory.  The bullpen again showed up as the weak link.  Like I said, it's going to be a long season.
Unknown.
Knight
Knight

Quote Tiger of Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2011 at 11:47
The Red Legs lost again, too.....
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2011 at 09:25
Well the Phils managed to take one game out of 3 with the Brewers.  Contreres seems to be taking over as closer, he's 4 for 4 in saves.  This is the time of the year when I lose interest for awhile.  Hockey playoffs etc.  We'll see how things shape up in another month or so.
Unknown.
Knight
Knight

Quote Tiger of Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2011 at 10:50
Big series this weekend for the Reds. I hope we sweep those dirty Red Birds!
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2011 at 11:13
AL CHAMPS TEXAS RANGERS!
They say you can't win a title in March, but you sure can lose one.
I think its too early to anoint anyone just yet to knock off the crown the RANGERS are wearing.
I'm an AL guy all the way, I don't watch the NL that much.
The dust has to settle a little more before we can see a pattern or staying power.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2011 at 10:38
This is really dating myself, but here goes.  I remember when Philly had an AL team and an NL team.  the Athletics, or as they were known then, the Philadelphia A's, were originally Philly's top team.  The Phillies were thought of as a "Diversion" from the real thing.  The A's were Connie Mack's team.  Granted, I was a "Youngin" at the time, but Dad made sure that I knew the differences between the AL and the NL.
He made a point of it to take me to the only approachable AL games. Meaning Baltimore, as you couldn't get seats for Yankee Stadium then, unless you were good friends with the President.Big smile In 1954 the St Louis Browns,  Owning the record for the most consecutive losing seasons,Tongue Were sold to the City of Baltimore.

I got to see some great games with teams like the Senators and the Orioles.  Watching a ball game at Memorial Stadium or Connie Mack was an experience you can't really duplicate today.

Edited by red clay - 29-Apr-2011 at 11:02
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2011 at 13:48
Originally posted by tjadams

AL CHAMPS TEXAS RANGERS!
They say you can't win a title in March, but you sure can lose one.
I think its too early to anoint anyone just yet to knock off the crown the RANGERS are wearing.
I'm an AL guy all the way, I don't watch the NL that much.
The dust has to settle a little more before we can see a pattern or staying power.

Well, they didn't knock the crown off yet, but the Phils took 2 in a row from them.  Cliff Lee was incredible.  Pitched 8 shutout innings, struck out 10.  But again, offense? the score was 2 zip.

But last nite underlined how much the Rangers depended on Lee last year, and how big a hole in their rotation was left.  Lewis was good, but not quite on the same level.

Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 09:46
The Phils finally figured out which end of the bat to hold.  Sorry it happened last nite Tiger.  Score was 10 to 3 over the Reds.  Arroyo didn't have control near the plate and the Phils just roasted him.
Unknown.
Knight
Knight

Quote Tiger of Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 10:37
The Reds have been reeling lately. Swept by Cleveland and probably will be swept by the Phils, too.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2011 at 11:18
Originally posted by Tiger of Kai

The Reds have been reeling lately. Swept by Cleveland and probably will be swept by the Phils, too.

The Reds evened things up last nite, but it was a sloppy game.  Both teams left their defense back in the hotel.
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2011 at 09:47
Well, things didn't quite turn out the way I thought it would.  The Phils folded after they clinched the East title.  I wouldn't have minded as much if it had been another team, but the Cardinals?  I despise Tony Larussa now more than ever.
The Phils proved pitching alone can't do it, you've got to have some bats, reliable hitters, not streaky home run hitters.  Guys that can go out almost every game and give you run support.  The only Phillies that fit that slot is Hunter Pence and Wilson Valdez, they need a few more like them.  I don't understand why Valdez wasn't on the post season roster.

What I do understand is that the Phillies weren't capable of going to the level of play that I saw in the World Series.  If they had made it, the Rangers would have swept them in 4 games.

Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>