Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Origins of Easter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Origins of Easter
    Posted: 15-Jul-2011 at 11:15
Originally posted by Toltec

Originally posted by Nick1986

On Easter Sunday we eat roast lamb (like the Jews celebrating passover).

First Ive ever heard of this tradition.  The only easter food I've ever heard of is low quality chocolate.
I think Greeks also eat lamb on Easter.  My family, along with many other families in the American south, usually eats ham.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2011 at 20:38
But, as you know Cryptic, the climate of the Southern parts of the USA, do not readily support the raising of sheep! Sheeple possibly? LOL

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2011 at 00:43
Originally posted by opuslola

But, as you know Cryptic, the climate of the Southern parts of the USA, do not readily support the raising of sheep!
A very good point!  Any other examples of holiday foods being simply what is practical for the area rather than having a deep symbolic meaning?

Edited by Cryptic - 16-Jul-2011 at 00:46
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2011 at 19:41
Dear Cryptic. Well, to be truthfull, on this site I sometimes have to "eat crow"!, and not for Easter!

While I do not admit I ever made a gross mistatement of my beliefs, I have had to perform parts of the below;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_crow chuckle

Just to continue to be able to post.

But, for your information "Crow" tastes just like chicken, or alligator, etc.!

As far as I know, the crows, or corvus of this world are known for great things. Maybe I should say "Corvus Veritas?" smile!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veritas

After all it is the corvus, that is known as the bird of the battlefield and the dead (it is reported to eat the eyes of dead soldiers).

I live here in a world most unlike most, and in a world most "un-American", that is I have to "not" say things like "Don't Tread on Me", but merely "Walk Softly" and disregard the "big stick!" laugh!

I still walk here on my tippy-toes!

But, I still managed to post 1,006 posts, at the site of your opposition, which was ".net", before I was banned for ever.!

Perhaps you have read some of my great conversations with gcle2003 and drgonzaga?

Great, eh?

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 16-Jul-2011 at 19:44
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
BRNRDSDJNG View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote BRNRDSDJNG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2011 at 08:46

Well, to my knowledge it was Constantine who forced Easter to the date's we have to celebrate, as well as Christmas. The birthday was also implemented by the Emperor. Nobody knows when Christ was born. Certainly not on the official day. 

None of this dates are of Christian origin, since Pagans already celebrated this dates.

Christianizing these dates was a trick to leave the Pagans their festivities and on the same hand convert them with  another name to their holy days.

Easter as well as Oster feier (German) is derived from Ostara or/and Astarte.

Easter eggs are derived from the rabbit which was believed to be seen in the Moon.

These eggs were in fact gifts tot the gods but also have been used to give to anyone to wish them a fruitful life and children.

So the rabbit was also the attribute of Ix Chel, the Maya goddess. The rabbit is a symbol of virility or prosperity.

As all godlike images are.

Ix Chel was the Moongoddess who fel in love with the Sun, who rejected her in jalousy. So She diceded to hide herself if He came to close, and that was the dark Moon cycle.

Beside that, the triple Goddess was derived form the Moon and later converted to the holy trinity in Christianity.

The myth of the three rabbits running around as a mandala are pagan symbols much older then Christianity. The rabbit has been kicked out of heaven but as a reminder to its phoenix existence in heaven it was believed to still producing eggs.

The egg is a soul container and also a resurrection symbol.

Gold en Silver in Christmas trees means Son and Moon in the tree of Astarte or the goddess.

Easter is derived from the pentagram of Venus and its cycle in space.

That's why Christ should be born in a cave or have His resurrection from a cave which is of course a womb of the Goddess. The same is true for the cross although it wasn't a cross but a pole.

The tree is the tree of live and in that form also the goddess. So He was given back to His Mother in fact.

That's why the dead are buried in a box. The box is the motherly womb of the Goddess.

The water is also the Goddess, in ancient times the dead where send out on the river or the sea.

You find that silly thought even in the myth of the origin of species from the ocean.

Edited by BRNRDSDJNG - 02-Aug-2011 at 08:52
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 00:16
I Babylonian translation of a hymn to Dumuzi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuIzs0rRzb4

And this is another interesting source "Myth and Religion of Osiris the God", following the genesis of the religion of Osiris all the way to Dumuzi :  http://www.scribd.com/doc/98564/The-Giza-Discovery

Edited by Don Quixote - 22-Aug-2011 at 00:57
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 00:19
Originally posted by medenaywe

another Persian history version propagandist.Post facts here Don of La Mancha.Big smile

This is not Persian history, for one, but Sumerian/. And those are facts, btw, one can read Mircha Eliade and Joseph Campbell on that. The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dying_god  myth started with Dumuzi, and later "exported" in Egypt; where he was appropriated and developed as Osiris.
I'm not "propagandist" of anything, btw. I posted this source on the above post especially for you, medenaywe.

Edited by Don Quixote - 22-Aug-2011 at 00:58
ahiram View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ahiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 10:20
Originally posted by Cryptic

Originally posted by Toltec

Originally posted by Nick1986

On Easter Sunday we eat roast lamb (like the Jews celebrating passover).

First Ive ever heard of this tradition.  The only easter food I've ever heard of is low quality chocolate.
I think Greeks also eat lamb on Easter.  My family, along with many other families in the American south, usually eats ham.
I am a Christ from the near east and we don't eat lamb at easter as well.

The reason why the easter date jumps is the moon calendar. It seems, that it was for the ancient people very difficult to create a proper sun calendar. According to the New Testament Jesus was crucified one or two weeks after the new year's.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 11:02
Nick, those were beautiful Polish Easter eggs you showed. The patterns reminded me of something I once heard of labyrinths or such patterns keeping the devil too busy to spend time harming people, as the devil was fascinated by patterns and would keep following the pattern around. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 19:02
Interesting point for among some native tribes and in particularly the Din'e...to escape a demon or 'shifter'.. one is catiouned to run till sunrise . Never stop and always swerve back and forth...while going forward. Ostensibly this requires the shifter to stop... and sniff out and regain the trail.

There by allowing the running human to gain not only distance but.....time.Wink

As the shifters are known to run in pairs or more on occassion, this then becomes reminscent of the ancient Legends reference The Hunt'sman" and his pack.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 22-Aug-2011 at 19:42
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 19:25
Drinking copious amounts of alcohol should keep a person reasonably safe then. Wink
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 19:44
Not a good technique....tactics, historically examined in a competent and objective fashion, disclose that a retrograde or withdrawal operation will not be facilitated by being drunk.Wink
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 22:02
In Bulgaria, which is Orthodox Christian, people have lamb for Easter, but it's not necessary - what is necessary is lots of eggs, and sweet bread, and then people have egg fights - that's fun.
I never did the lamb thing, only the eggs...but then, I'm not a Christian.
The lamb was connected with Dumizi also - somewhere in here  http://www.etana.org/sites/default/files/coretexts/14920.pdf   he was called "the lamb of God". Dumizy ws the first Shepherd too, here a part of a hymn to Inanna and Dumuzi:

"...The Dream of Dumizi

His heart was filled with tears.
The shepherd's heart was filled with tears.
Dumuzi's heart was filled with tears.
Dumuzi stumbled across the steppe, weeping:
"O steppe, set up a wail for me!
O crabs in the river, mourn for me!
O frogs in the river, call for me!
O my mother, Sirtur, weep for me!"

http://www.mindspring.com/~mysticgryphon/duhymn.htm

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 20:31
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Nick, those were beautiful Polish Easter eggs you showed. The patterns reminded me of something I once heard of labyrinths or such patterns keeping the devil too busy to spend time harming people, as the devil was fascinated by patterns and would keep following the pattern around. 

Fortunately, demons are as stupid as they are evil. Superstitious people believed scattering salt on the doorstep prevented evil spirits from entering as they had to stop to count each grain
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2012 at 19:30
Originally posted by Don Quixote

In Bulgaria, which is Orthodox Christian, people have lamb for Easter, but it's not necessary - what is necessary is lots of eggs, and sweet bread, and then people have egg fights - that's fun.
I never did the lamb thing, only the eggs...but then, I'm not a Christian.
The lamb was connected with Dumizi also - somewhere in here  http://www.etana.org/sites/default/files/coretexts/14920.pdf   he was called "the lamb of God". Dumizy ws the first Shepherd too, here a part of a hymn to Inanna and Dumuzi:

"...The Dream of Dumizi

His heart was filled with tears.
The shepherd's heart was filled with tears.
Dumuzi's heart was filled with tears.
Dumuzi stumbled across the steppe, weeping:
"O steppe, set up a wail for me!
O crabs in the river, mourn for me!
O frogs in the river, call for me!
O my mother, Sirtur, weep for me!"

http://www.mindspring.com/~mysticgryphon/duhymn.htm

Egg fights? Did you throw raw or cooked eggs?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2012 at 01:15
We don't throw them, just everyone gets an boiled dyed egg and hit the other person's egg on teh top, whoever's egg survives is the winner. After all the eggs are gone, the last egg to survive is put in a little decorative cup and kept till the next Easter, for luckSmile

Now I celebrate Easter twice - on April 8th for the tradition here and on April 15th in the Orthodox tradition. So I have eggs during the whole week, and bake the kozunak /the sweet Easter bread/ twice. On 15th I also make roasted lamb shanks. So, since in some lands now is already April 8th,

HAPPY EASTER, EVERYONE!

Have a Bulgarian egg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mex02X0x4nU/S7U4K3F--8I/AAAAAAAAGtY/lueE_aj4xco/s1600/bulgaria.jpg

and a slice of sweet Easter Bulgarian bread
http://images.travelpod.com/tripwow/photos/ta-00c0-5cee-99eb/kozunak-stara-zagora-bulgaria+1152_12943159031-tpfil02aw-12822.jpg

http://www.turnbacktogod.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/jesus-resurrection-easter-02.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12