Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who is the Greatest Military leader of the Ancient period?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: Who is the Greatest Military leader of the Ancient period?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [21.89%]
3 [1.78%]
63 [37.28%]
29 [17.16%]
4 [2.37%]
0 [0.00%]
14 [8.28%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [2.37%]
15 [8.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is the Greatest Military leader of the Ancient period?
    Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 15:42
Originally posted by Praetor

Originally posted by andrew

Alexander the Great and Hannibal Barca. I can see strengths in boths:

Alexander had to face overwhelming, which is an understatement, odds to defeat a land that was thought at that time unconquerable the Persian Empire. Not only did he defeat it he down right crushed it at its height. I do believe however, the Persian army was weak. The nicely clothed, sheer numbered Persians are no match for the heavily armoured well trained Greek army as was displayed in Thermompalyae. Still defeating waves of million of Persians with 20,000 men detatched from their homes in Europe fighting a war against the strongest nation in the world, Persia, was amazing to say the least.

Firstly Persia was not at its height when conquered by Alexander but had been in decline for some time. Secondly Alexander had approximately 50,000 men at Guagamela not 20,000 And Its believed that the Persians had 200,000 to 250,000 men not one million men at this battle also (this was the battle where Alexander faced the largest Persian force in his career). However Those are great odds in thier own right though you have (I assume unknowingly) vastly exagerated them.

I choose Alexander because he knew hot to exploit a victory.

As Hannibal's companion Maharbal said, "Hannibal knew how to gain a victory, but did not know how to use it."

Sigh....once again I hear this misconception supported by this dubius qoute, I feel too lazy to explain this again so I will refer you to a thread that discusses this misconception: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18816&PN=1

Regards, Praetor.

This was quoted by Herodutus and he is among the most honest and accurate historians of his time. He said 1,000,000 Persian were at Thermompalyae and guess what he was right. Persia was strong and before the Greek conquests it had reached the height of its empire so that long decline you claim is not even a point to be taken seriously. Many Greeks believed he was mad just to ATTEMPT to cross into Asia...the rest as we say is history.

Edited by andrew - 08-Jun-2007 at 15:44
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 00:57

This was quoted by Herodutus and he is among the most honest and accurate historians of his time. He said 1,000,000 Persian were at Thermompalyae and guess what he was right. Persia was strong and before the Greek conquests it had reached the height of its empire so that long decline you claim is not even a point to be taken seriously. Many Greeks believed he was mad just to ATTEMPT to cross into Asia...the rest as we say is history.

Herodotus was dead by the time Alexander invaded Persia, Furtheremore most modern historians do not believe the Persians had 1 million men at Thermopalaye but about 250 or 200 Thousand men.

Regards, Praetor.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 02:08
The army of Emperor Xerxes is said to have moved in one huge group, without being split up into seperate units. That alone would prove that the army was not 1,000,000 strong, becuase it would be entirely too difficult for a group of people to travel in such a mass. Impossible even.
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 10:56
Originally posted by Praetor

Herodotus was dead by the time Alexander invaded Persia, Furtheremore most modern historians do not believe the Persians had 1 million men at Thermopalaye but about 250 or 200 Thousand men.

Regards, Praetor.

Please re-read my post not once did I say that Herodutus was alive during Alexander's conquest of Persia.

"The army of Emperor Xerxes is said to have moved in one huge group, without being split up into seperate units. That alone would prove that the army was not 1,000,000 strong, becuase it would be entirely too difficult for a group of people to travel in such a mass. Impossible even."

Impossible for us to think or fathom it? Maybe. Impossible for the Persians to actually do it? Probably not. The Persians were known for their ground breaking achievements.

The United States army can mobilize 1,000,000 troops to anywhere in the world within 24 hours including Antartica.

Edited by andrew - 09-Jun-2007 at 10:59
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 22:30

andrew, good points, and i would also like to say that even if the army wasnt truelly 1,000,000 strong...200-300,000 would still be the largest army to walk the earth at that time, which in itself is a ground breaking achievement. Xerxes also did the incredible by digging a channel through the isthmus of the peninsula of Mount Athos, storing provisions in stations on the road through Thrace and building two gigantic bridges across the Hellespont. All of which were "groundbreaking" accomplishments on his part.

Yekta View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Yekta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2007 at 01:26
The fire that never dies burns in our hearts.
Southerneighbr View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Southerneighbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2007 at 01:37
  Off-course Alexander the Great had the best army...by succesfully spreading Hellenism throughout the  then known world his achievements are even today celebrated by many civilazations.Go Greece!!!!Cool
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 23:43

I also disagree that the Persians had 1 million strong at Thermopylae. Possibly around 500,000 strong while the rest were basically support, slaves, and workers... at the time I believe it was very diificult for any nation to raise an army over 1 million strong. The Roman Empire had just as many resources as the Persians and they never reach 1 million strong at any particular battle. Thus the possibility of the Persians having 1 million strong is highly doubted in my opinion. However it was still a great number against the tiny little Greek city-states Embarrassed

Also considering Napoleon's Grande Armee invasion of Russia was no more than 550,000 even with all its grandness of the areas he had conquered can only mustered around half a million suggest that the Persians themselves couldnt have raised such a large army. I believe that the Greeks tend to exaggerate about their winnings making it more than it seems. Believing in heroic warriors that defeat armies greater than themselves, I guess this is the Greek way of "thinking"...
eumenes View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote eumenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 13:03
I think that Quintus Sertorius deserves mention. He defeated his fellow Romans in many battles in which they often outnumbered him, including Pompey the Great. Too bad he was assassinated before he could continue with his successes or set up an independent Hispania. :(
Larus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Larus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 04:20
 My vote goes to Julius Caesar.  I voted for him over Alexander the Great since Alexander's empire collapsed immediately after his death, while Caesar's conquest was far more permanent. With Caesar's conquest much of the permanent Roman borders were established with the exception of later minor territorial correction in the Balkan region (which was not later conquered for the territorial gain but for the purpose of better protecting the borders), parts of the Middle East and Northwest African coast. On the other hand, I consider Alexander to be an impulsive warrior who delivered no longterm political gains to Hellenic people. I wonder what would have happened if Philip actually ruled at least a decade longer and had enough time to properly influence his son?

P.S. Why was Sargon of Akkad left out of the contest? I think he qualifies as one of the greatest Military leaders of the ancient period as well.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 04:30
No long term political gains? He created the Hellenistic world!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Spartakus - 26-Jun-2007 at 04:30
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Larus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Larus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 07:43
 Yes, but that was a cultural gain not political. His Empire fell apart as soon as he died.
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 09:50

[

The United States army can mobilize 1,000,000 troops to anywhere in the world within 24 hours including Antartica.

You are joking. They haven't the faintest capability of that
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 16:15
Originally posted by Peteratwar

[

You'd be amazed then.Wink
Larus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Larus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 06:52
 andrew- Are there any available sources claiming US army can mobilize one million of their troops and ship them as far as Antarctica within the 24 hours margin?
If what you are saying is true, I can't help but wonder if the residents of New Orleans are furious with the fact that it took the relief efforts much longer than 24 hours to arrive and help them during the hurricane disaster?

Edited by Larus - 27-Jun-2007 at 08:54
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 16:25

Originally posted by Peteratwar

[

You'd be amazed then.Wink

I believe man kind and penguins can co-exist peacefully LOL If not I'd like to see the Americans land a million men on an ice-shelf, only to realise it's 2 inches thickLOL
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2007 at 23:30
Originally posted by Larus

My vote goes to Julius Caesar.  I voted for him over Alexander the Great since Alexander's empire collapsed immediately after his death, while Caesar's conquest was far more permanent. With Caesar's conquest much of the permanent Roman borders were established with the exception of later minor territorial correction in the Balkan region (which was not later conquered for the territorial gain but for the purpose of better protecting the borders), parts of the Middle East and Northwest African coast. On the other hand, I consider Alexander to be an impulsive warrior who delivered no longterm political gains to Hellenic people. I wonder what would have happened if Philip actually ruled at least a decade longer and had enough time to properly influence his son?

Larus, Alexander's empire didnt collapse. It simple gave birth to other empires, in the form of the Diodochi, the "successors". When Julius Caeser died, some of these empires were still in existence. Also, each and every one of them, continued to maintain and spread the Hellas culture, which can still be recognize in these locations today.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 04:53
Everything that Julius Caesar did relied on speed, chance and agression. Look at the battle of Dyrachium - he lost horribly because he just tried the same tactics over and over again. Pompey could have completely left Caesar's army to starve, but the politicians in his camp like Cato and Marius forced him to attack and thus lose later in the campaign.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 05:31
I would say Alexander, but I must confess I tend to equate military to social achievements. He conquered by his administration bringing Greek progress to areas in other lands that wanted to have a better way of life. For battle tactics alone I would probably chose Hannibal. How unfortunate that he did not have the support of Carthage at the time he most needed it. 
elenos
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 06:25
Yes, but if you look at the Generals who defeated Hannibal like Scipio Africanus and Marcellus, they were just as talented. Hannibal a competent general, yes, but he was taking a huge gamble and was driven on by his fury and hatred for Rome. Marcellus and Scipio managed to see through his plan and defeat it using ingenious methods. He could never have won anyway - as you said, he never had the support of Hanno and the council at Carthage, and the Roman republic was organized enough to stop him. When looking at these military masterminds, you also have to wonder how well they exploited their victories - and Alexander for one was not good at that!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>